Thread: JEC monthly rag and another rust rant

Post Thanks / Like

JEC monthly rag and another rust rant

It’s only a matter of time before I buy an F type. It’ll be second hand. However, as a member of the JEC I receive their magazine each month. For several issues now they’ve gone to town on issues of rusting beams in the chassis, cheap and thin underbody paint etc. Reminiscent of a Lancia fer pete’s sake. But in this forum, not a mention of it. What’s going on?
    XKR MY2010, XK MY2006, S Type 2.7D, BMWs, Fords, Austins, MkX, Daimler SP250, Morris Minor Reg UFG23

Post Thanks / Like
    As I have said before, much more F-Type action over on the Yank forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/
    And yes, some mention there of F-Types with underbody/chassis surface rust, from memory only really in areas with highly salted roads.
    But only very few mentions despite hundreds of F-Type owners posting on that forum so I really doubt it is a serious problem.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly the most informative thread on the Yank forum about F-Type rust: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ht=F-Type+rust
    And it does seem to be a known problem on Euro F-Types driven in winter on salted roads.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. A Jag dealer, Harwoods, in the U.K. has a 6 year corrosion warranty (which must be a Jaguar warranty) and would cover every F type they’ve ever sold.

In the U.K. when my car gets serviced they give you a video of the underside and as I never noticed any rust before I looked again and there isn’t any. That’s on a near 100,000km XKR.
    Last edited by DouglasXKR; 10-08-18 at 08:19.
    XKR MY2010, XK MY2006, S Type 2.7D, BMWs, Fords, Austins, MkX, Daimler SP250, Morris Minor Reg UFG23

Post Thanks / Like
    There certainly seems to be a problem with some cars with rusting of the front subframe, and there have been some owners reporting this since the issue was raised by the F-type coordinator in the JEC magazine who reported his own car as rusting badly.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XJ6 Sovereign 2007
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010