Thread: JEC monthly rag and another rust rant

Post Thanks / Like

JEC monthly rag and another rust rant

It’s only a matter of time before I buy an F type. It’ll be second hand. However, as a member of the JEC I receive their magazine each month. For several issues now they’ve gone to town on issues of rusting beams in the chassis, cheap and thin underbody paint etc. Reminiscent of a Lancia fer pete’s sake. But in this forum, not a mention of it. What’s going on?
    XKR MY2010, XK MY2006, S Type 2.7D, BMWs, Fords, Austins, MkX, Daimler SP250, Morris Minor Reg UFG23

Post Thanks / Like
    As I have said before, much more F-Type action over on the Yank forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/
    And yes, some mention there of F-Types with underbody/chassis surface rust, from memory only really in areas with highly salted roads.
    But only very few mentions despite hundreds of F-Type owners posting on that forum so I really doubt it is a serious problem.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

3. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly the most informative thread on the Yank forum about F-Type rust: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ht=F-Type+rust
    And it does seem to be a known problem on Euro F-Types driven in winter on salted roads.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. A Jag dealer, Harwoods, in the U.K. has a 6 year corrosion warranty (which must be a Jaguar warranty) and would cover every F type they’ve ever sold.

In the U.K. when my car gets serviced they give you a video of the underside and as I never noticed any rust before I looked again and there isn’t any. That’s on a near 100,000km XKR.
    Last edited by DouglasXKR; 10-08-18 at 08:19.
    XKR MY2010, XK MY2006, S Type 2.7D, BMWs, Fords, Austins, MkX, Daimler SP250, Morris Minor Reg UFG23

Post Thanks / Like
    There certainly seems to be a problem with some cars with rusting of the front subframe, and there have been some owners reporting this since the issue was raised by the F-type coordinator in the JEC magazine who reported his own car as rusting badly.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XJ6 Sovereign 2007
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on past experience I would wager a bet that Jaguar say the 6 year warranty does not cover this as it only covers rusting through of the bodywork from the inside-out and does cover surface rust caused by impact damage.
    They will argue it is caused by stone chips so not covered under warranty.
    Some years ago my S Type R had some bubbling under the paint at the top of the drivers door where it was covered by the widow trim - Jaguar tried to say it was caused by stone chips- despite it being in a place protected by the door-mirror and window trim - they only backed down after I offered to post pictures and their correspondence on social media….
    2015 XFR-S in white
    (gone is my 2007/07 S-Type R in Lunar Grey, Charcoal/Light Grey Interior and 19" Barcelona wheels)

Post Thanks / Like
    The F type rust on the subframe and other areas is down to the JLR cost cutting on their component suppliers so that quality is compromised. The rust issue is bad enough but the correspondence from the Jaguar customer relation centre to the customer published in the JEC magazine is disgraceful,dismissive ,patronising and typical of the way that they now treat buyers of their products. Sir William Lyons would turn in his grave if he knew what his old company had become.
    2 rejected F Paces for a 2018 XF 2.0D AWD Sportbrake. caesium blue with goodies. 2006 4.2 XK Convertible Frost Blue & Ivory for wonderful summer use.