Thread: Connecting an Optimate or similar

Post Thanks / Like

Connecting an Optimate or similar

Good day all

I want to connect an optimate trickle charger lead to my XF is it just straight forward positive to positive , negative to negative ?

Thanks in advance
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...f/TINK06-1.jpg
    3.0d V6 275bhp XF-S Portfolio Polaris White 20" Draco black rims Tinted windows and a few interior LED's
    2.2d Premium Sport X Type Estate Liquid Silver Silver sparkle Proteus rims Tinted windows, retro fit powerfold mirrors & puddle lights. LED lit interior and Shark fin aerial .. purrrfect
    Joint owner of 64 plate SLK 250 CDI AMG Sportline 200bhp in polar white

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically, yes with the proviso that there is no battery monitoring circuitry. If there is, the negative should be connected to a nearby earth point.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    The optimate only has + & - connectors .. I'm not a sparky so have no idea what you mean Neil

This is what I have https://www.google.com/search?q=opti...MObQvm3l6P8lM:
    3.0d V6 275bhp XF-S Portfolio Polaris White 20" Draco black rims Tinted windows and a few interior LED's
    2.2d Premium Sport X Type Estate Liquid Silver Silver sparkle Proteus rims Tinted windows, retro fit powerfold mirrors & puddle lights. LED lit interior and Shark fin aerial .. purrrfect

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideally:

Attach the +ve terminal of the charger to the positive terminal of the battery.

-ve of the charger should go to an earth point - that is any location on the metalwork of the car where earth cables have been bolted. Follow the earth cable of the battery and see where it is bolted to the body - the body is the negative of the electrical system.

This diagram for XKs may explain better
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/attachme...1&d=1500012285
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

5. Thanks Tink thanked for this post
    Likes Tink liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Trickle Charger is connected to the battery and 'lives' on the rear shelf. Works well.
    2010 XFR, 5 litre, Liquid Silver, Charcoal Interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Ideally:

Attach the +ve terminal of the charger to the positive terminal of the battery.

-ve of the charger should go to an earth point - that is any location on the metalwork of the car where earth cables have been bolted. Follow the earth cable of the battery and see where it is bolted to the body - the body is the negative of the electrical system.

This diagram for XKs may explain better
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/attachme...1&d=1500012285
    Agreed.
    On both of my XFs I always connected the negative lead to the bolt on the side of the boot which holds the battery tie-down rod, which from memory is also where the earth lead from the negative battery terminal is connected.
    Does the Optimate have a "pigtail" lead?
    If it does then you can do what I did and connect it semi-permanently to the battery positive terminal and the earthing point described above and tuck the lead away under the boot lining (I ran it behind the lining and tucked it in behind the fuse box cover, so I could access it by taking the fuse box cover off). Then all you need do when you want to use the charger is pull the pig tail lead out and plug the charger into it, a helluva lot quicker and easier (and more secure) than faffing about with alligator clips.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking on Fleabay at listing for the Optimate battery charger it does not look to me to be suitable for the XF.
    It seems to be designed for motorcycle LPF batteries and "for batteries up to 30A" and the XF battery is not LPF and is 90A+ as far as I know.
    I think you would be much better off with a CTEK or similar.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJagXFS View Post
    Looking on Fleabay at listing for the Optimate battery charger it does not look to me to be suitable for the XF.
    It seems to be designed for motorcycle LPF batteries and "for batteries up to 30A" and the XF battery is not LPF and is 90A+ as far as I know.
    I think you would be much better off with a CTEK or similar.
    I have used the optimate on my X Type without a problem. but never on the XF

Thanks for the various replies so far

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimate 5 & 6 should be suitable chargers, I'm sure there are others just check the specs.

your set up may be different but aim to get the neg- terminal here if you are doing a comfort lead setting/permanent connection. Especially if the car has BMS built into the lead. The Pos+ goes to the battery +post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cc6Juvvl.jpg  
    Last edited by Poundy; 10-08-18 at 10:40.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

11. Likes Tink liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have fitted a Fly lead to my Sportbrake to make connecting aoptimiser or similar. Make sure you get one capable of dealing with a large capacity battery.The pos + to the battery + and negative to the body worka few inches away from battery. Any bolt that screws into the chassis /body will do. Clean and grease the area around the bolt to ensure a good connection. The lead fitted with a 2XT 60 " socket connector .protrudes out from the side cover for easy connection of charger. Plugs and sockets are available from any model shop as usedfor model cars and planes ,

While you in there unscrew the battery retaining bolt (long bolt with 10mm head) and clean grease the thread thoroughly . These are notorious for siezing as the bottom of the bolt project through the bottom of floor and collect water and dirt etc
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

13. Likes Tink liked this post