Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all, 3rd time lucky I hope with my S-Type

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, 3rd time lucky I hope with my S-Type

Hi everyone,
    I've finally done it, got myself an old S-Type Diesel Auto.
    Been wanting a Jag for a while and now retired it's time we drove around in comfort for a change.
    So I spent weeks looking on the net, following this forum and generally getting to know them.
    Helps as well as 2 others on the retirement site where we live have Jags.
    So my shopping list was.
    A. Must be an S Type (don't know why, I just like the look of them).
    B. Must be diesel.
    C. Must be an auto.
    When it comes to age I'm not fussed as I'll be putting my personal "M" plate on it.
    And of course being a poor old pensioner must be cheap.

So off to a dealer who had a nice 56 plate model in green.
    Nice looking car at first glance, shame about the dealer. He basically was not really interested.
    Couldn't tell me anything about it, had no paperwork, no service history, windscreen was cracked, may get it done if needed for MOT he said.
    So digging deeper it had so many faults and errors we walked away.

The next dealer had a black model, same spec. and year.
    When we got there, flat battery, rust around the rims but otherwise looked fine.
    Was getting late in the day so he started the hard sell routine.
    However I liked it overall and as he said they would do the cam-belt and water pump along with a new MOT I went for it.
    Big mistake.
    All checked out fine when we collected it, anyway all that we checked worked.
    However once we got home and started checking other things 3 major faults became apparent.
    The air-con worked until we got about 20 miles down the road, then it was a case of full on heater or nothing.
    Remote central locking did not work, both 12 volt auxiliary sockets not working (how was her majesty supposed to charge her phone).
    Plus numerous other niggles too many to mention.
    So day after purchase, phoned the dealer who started the usual fob me off routine. (he had no chance).
    Took it back the following day and once I'd quoted the law to him got a full refund.
    (I still don't think they did the cam belt but not being a mechanic I don't know how to check).
    I pity the poor customer who buys it in the future.

So 2 fails so far.
    Jag No 3 looked good in the advert and not too far away.
    Didn't tell him we were coming, just turned up.
    Small independent garage with about 20 cars on the lot, the Jag was a year older with a few K miles more.
    The pale blue model with the earlier non sat nav dash. (previous 2 had the large screen sat nav).
    Gave it a run, everything worked fine (that I'd checked) so we did the deal and we're now proud owners of our first Jag.
    Full stamped service history, new MOT and I liked the dealer, no hard sell (my age, we got on well).

However..................watch this space.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Maurice,
    Welcome to the website and forum.
    Everyone here is friendly and helpful.
    I have owned my immaculate 2004 XJ-V8 since December 2016 and it's a brilliant car.
    My previously owned Jaguars are a 1996 XJ Sovereign and 2 x 2001 S types.

Tootle Pip.
    Supertrev.
    Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from "across the pond". I just like the looks of the S-type too! Enjoy your new Jaguar. You will find the participants in the S-type forum are a pretty knowledgeable lot, should problems arise. Finding a good independent shop for non-DIY work is also a must, as the main dealers really don't want to see our cars and charge accordingly...

JR
    2003 S-Type 3.0, Zircon with the "Premium Package"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome.

The S type is the best looking jaguar in my opinion.

Just some friendly advice. If you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty go to this web site and download a copy of the workshop manual

Jagrepair.com

Jaguar S-Type 2002.5 - 2008 FSM Workshop Manual

Also great yourself to a scan tool such as the i930 the version 2 is supposed to the best for diesels. Then If you have any problems we may be able to help you find the car.

If it has a dpf then check the oil never rises. The best way to do this is to fill it up too the upper mark.

Now for the most important bit of advice

Take the wife out to her favourite restaurant to thank her and don't behave like this

Have lots of fun and we like to see photos.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

5. Likes S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the nice welcome from you all.

Well 3 days in and the first problem is showing up. (well actually it was there as soon as I got home, never put it in reverse during the test drive).
    Reversing sensors iffy. Most times on solid bleep when put in to reverse, occasionally they are fine or silent.
    There seem's to be a lot of info on the forum about them so I'll read up and see if I can sort it.

Although I'm not a mechanic I'll do a lot of the simple stuff myself so I went to the Jagrepair.com site and downloaded the manual with a view to printing it off for reference.
    Nah! - won't bother with the full printing it's over 3000 pages.
    So while there I put in a search for S Type and downloaded everything I found, over 200+ documents.
    Well done jagrepair for a very useful and helpful site.

Another question I had planned was to ask which scan tool you Jag owners recommend but again you've answered me before I even got the chance to ask the question.
    An i930 is on my shopping list.

Mine came with the Jag emblem on the front. It's a bit tatty so I was going to treat myself to a better one.
    I've been told by the local "knowitall" where we live that they are in fact illegal here in the UK.
    Would anyone know if that is the case?
    Would replacing it with a spring-loaded type be OK?

Off to get some photo's done now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the LR-II by iCarsoft; it will scan and pinpoint exactly which reversing sensor is at fault. With intermittent problems, it may be a wiring or control module issue. I had two sensors fail in rapid succession, so changed all of them for peace of mind. The control module is available used on the usual on-lie auction site for a fraction of what a new unit from Jaguar would run in terms of cost.

There have been past discussions of the "leaper" as its use varied by market and model year. The spring loaded unit makes sense; if a fixed mascot has been installed, it may be from an earlier series and might well be less than legal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to change the "leaper" to a spring type as a priority job.

As for scanners so far then it's

i930
    LR-II

Are there any other types members use or recommend and their reasons for getting it?

On another thread I found out my car doesn't have a DPF as it's an early 05 with exhaust turned down as the clue.

Useful site this - learning a lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Jag.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	28097

"Yuppie" numberplate coming soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking car! I have read that the LR2.0 is the preferred unit for diesels as it has added functionality over the i930 specifically for diesel applications. The 2.0 came out less than a month after I purchased the LR-II... always the way, it would seem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think my brain's got "addled" with all this Jag lark and I can't for the life of me find the link to put a picture of mine as an avatar on the left of the posts.
    Don't want to admit it as I've been computer literate since the days of the ZX81 but have to now say....
    Help... (please).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice's Jag View Post
    I think my brain's got "addled" with all this Jag lark and I can't for the life of me find the link to put a picture of mine as an avatar on the left of the posts.
    Don't want to admit it as I've been computer literate since the days of the ZX81 but have to now say....
    Help... (please).
    Hit the “settings” button top right of the page, now look at the left hand side for “edit avatar”, click that and follow the instructions.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast