Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self-levelling Air Suspension System

Post Thanks / Like

Self-levelling Air Suspension System

The car has been sitting on the drive for several days now, and I'm puzzled by how much the car is tilting down at the rear offside. I know that the drive is not even, but these cars are supposed to wake up every 24 hours and level themselves. But what does 'levelling' mean - do they have a weight inside a component somewhere that tells the car what its angular lateral and longitudinal attitude is? I've measured from ground up to wheel arch top on all 4 corners, and the front arches are the same at 68 cm, despite it sitting on a lateral slope.

Does the car think it is doing its stuff by equalising the suspension across the front, even though it results in a lateral tilt, and having equalised the front, does it just give up on the rear arch heights, which are 6 cm different?
    2008 XJR + sun roof + soft leather + ACC + retrofit: burr walnut interior trim
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2007 X-Type 3.0 SP Auto + retrofit: walnut dash & gear knob + rear sill protectors + mudflaps + Al powerwash crucifers + memory powerfolds

"Life's too short for touchscreens - give me lots of nice buttons to press"

Post Thanks / Like
    The car can only go down when it's off, I don't think the rear should be sagging though. Park it somewhere level for a while to check if you can.
    Previous: 2006 X-Type 2.2d S- EBC Turbo Groove & Red Stuff
    2004 XJ Sport 4.2 Black with cream leather
    Current: 2004 XJ Super V8 SWB

"Speed and power solve many things" - JC

Post Thanks / Like
    My car has sat for over a week for the first time ever , due to poorly turbo.

I unlocked the car today for the first time , the rear suspension was low and didn't move.

I sat in the boot catch area as I do to play with the suspension , up she went without power.

As I got off , moments later she dumped a bit of air and lowered a little bit.

I have to say it wasn't really low to start with , just lower than with daily use that I noticed.

The rear articulation is pretty good to be fair , no exact science to the behaviours though.

If I put one rear wheel up a kerb , this tucks in the arch and the other side goes monster truck.

Same again on the other side too and soon sorts itself again on the flat ........
    2009 X358 XJ LWB 2.7 Tdvi , Liquid Silver , 100k+ and going strong.
    Bumper reflectors drilled and fitted with 3W side marker lights.
    Fog lamps / DRL running with HID colour match of dipped beam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Waking up to level itself, does not include running the air compressor - so in effect the car tries to level to the lowest wheel

Post Thanks / Like
    . . . It hasn't levelled down after a whole week, so something seems wrong with either a wheel height sensor or whatever senses the overall level of the car. I'll give it a run on saturday.
    2007 X-Type 3.0 SP Auto + retrofit: walnut dash & gear knob + rear sill protectors + mudflaps + Al powerwash crucifers + memory powerfolds

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that later models only have one front sensor, so they can't tell if the fronts are different heights.
    If true it doesn't seem like a logical design change to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you plugged in a reader to see if the car is saying something is wrong? It may give you a clue as to where to start tracking the fault down.
    Last edited by Jimbov8; 09-08-18 at 19:44.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
    I thought that later models only have one front sensor, so they can't tell if the fronts are different heights.
    If true it doesn't seem like a logical design change to me.
    The front end doesn't suffer loading changes, which is the main driver for self-levelling suspension - maintaining a level ride height irrespective of the number of passengers, luggage and fuel

Post Thanks / Like
    @Jimbov8: I don't have access to a code reader.

I had a read of the Technical Specification last night. In answer to one of my original questions, the system does not appear to incorporate a 'true level' sensor, so the car doesn't know if it's on sloping ground, and cannot compensate for it. The front axle is levelled as a unit, which is presumably why my front wheel arches are equidistant from the ground. The rear axle is load compemsating, and must also compensate for unlevel ground, so that the chassis isn't in a state of torsion. So as I read it, my visible rear axle tilt is simply the car levelling relative to the front axle on an uneven surface. That in a nutshell is what the self-levelling suspension does - forget any notions of it trying to keep the passengers upright, it follows the road camber.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cube View Post
    @Jimbov8: I don't have access to a code reader.

I had a read of the Technical Specification last night. In answer to one of my original questions, the system does not appear to incorporate a 'true level' sensor, so the car doesn't know if it's on sloping ground, and cannot compensate for it. The front axle is levelled as a unit, which is presumably why my front wheel arches are equidistant from the ground. The rear axle is load compemsating, and must also compensate for unlevel ground, so that the chassis isn't in a state of torsion. So as I read it, my visible rear axle tilt is simply the car levelling relative to the front axle on an uneven surface. That in a nutshell is what the self-levelling suspension does - forget any notions of it trying to keep the passengers upright, it follows the road camber.
    Agreed, the car does not try and level itself, it merely serves to maintain a particular ride height regardless of load, if I park mine half on half of the kerb it stays at an angle as one would expect, I believe once on the move it only performs a level check occasionally otherwise it would constantly try and compensate for road imperfections I also believe the car lowers itself at speed, but how fast and how much I have no idea.
    2003 X350 3.5SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast