Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions sort on best easy to use car polish

Post Thanks / Like

Opinions sort on best easy to use car polish

Though I would get some decent polish to to make the old S type a bit mor glamourous Have had a look on ebay etc & become more confused at which product to choose. I remember some products from days gone by that were really hard work to use say on a large area like a bonnet & left me wondering why I started.
    So any recomendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend claying the car first. Meguires clay. This cleans off the surface and is quite easy to do. (best results on flat surfaces - Bonnet, Roof,boot - Start with boot)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-...EAAOSwr7ZW3VuK

(can be on offer/cheaper in Halfords) Check their website

After this it's very easy to apply a product. You could use meguires wax for example.

Lots of videos on youtube showing how
    Last edited by Andy K; 10-08-18 at 10:33.

3. Likes ziggy72 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used Simoniz and Turtle before many times, they used to be great products for all solid colours.

But my last cars for many years have been metallic and no polishing has been needed, including my 2004 S Type. So I'm no longer an expert.

Here's a recent review of products: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/cars/...-buy-right-now

And here's how to effortlessly and without touching the car:

Ceramic coating is the new rage?:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farty View Post
    Though I would get some decent polish to to make the old S type a bit mor glamourous Have had a look on ebay etc & become more confused at which product to choose. I remember some products from days gone by that were really hard work to use say on a large area like a bonnet & left me wondering why I started.
    So any recomendations?
    Hi there, it may help a little if you can advise the age of the car, mileage, general condition of the paintwork etc

Andy K has given some good advice I'd imagine if its a few years old and has a few miles under her, clay barring will help to remove and stubborn embedded deposits and leave the paint smooth as silk, very easy to do, the only real requirement is to ensure lubrication at all times.

Re colour - assuming its a few years old and there may be some light swirl marks, the odd light scratch etc
    If it's a black or dark coloured car, I suggest first using Poorboys Blackhole, its a filler glaze and smells beautiful, it's easy on/ easy off and will hide / mask any light swirl marks etc, leaving a clean smooth finish that's a couple of shades darker. It's an amazing product and only around £12 a bottle

If it's a white or light coloured vehicle the same applies but this time Poorboys White Diamond is what you're after.

Once done add a coat of whatever wax / sealant you prefer and she'll shine like a new shilling and be protected too

Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way...

What sort of polish were you soughting?

My teachers aren't getting any sleep in their graves. Where Were you Lot dragged up??!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful with claying. if it had never been clayed, start with a good 2 bucket method wash with a good microfibre mitt. Then apply tar remover if the paintwork has spots. Then fall-out remover.
    Clay (Bilt Hamber) will be the next step because if you have lots of contamination and haven't used the previous steps it will tend to marr the surface.

I have 2 rupes bigfoot polishers for the next steps. Cutting and polishing.
    But you can do this by hand using something simple and user friendly like meguires ultimate compound and polish. Hard work though.

For a simple effective sealant try autoglym extra gloss protection. Much better than wax. Just put it on in very thin layers with a good applicator.
    Jaguar S-type Sport 3.0l 2004 facelift

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to the Autoglym website lots of videos there and how to tell if your car firstly needs the clay bar treatment. As piria says, wash and dry off first then decide what needs doing, if your paint feels rough, 'grippy' or 'gritty' then clay is the way to go, once you've used a tar remover. This usually lies on the lower half of the bodywork and you will be amazed how much comes off. After the clay its up to you but the paint will be completely bare and any protection is better than none. I stuck with Autoglym through no preference or allegiance and the results were brilliant. From first wash to final wax took me a full weekend but it was worth it. Meguiars website is also very helpful so use the info from both but I preferred the Autoglym guides. Don't scrimp on cloths either, an old t-shirt isn't good enough
    Previous : 1992 3.2 XJ40, 1997 4.0 V8 XJR - Current 2003 4.2 Black STR

Post Thanks / Like
    I would avoid most of the Autoglym products.

Shampoo, leather cleaner, screenwash are ok. Don't like the rest
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

Post Thanks / Like
    The Autoglym leather cleaner is one I found to be pretty useless.

11. Thanks Andy K thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info ALL noted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast