Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrol v Diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Petrol v Diesel

Hi.

I recently joined this forum as I am in the market for buying a Jag. Thanks to input from members and after reading a load of posts I decided to go for the XE over the XV. My next dilemma:

Diesel or petrol?

My present car (Rangerover) is diesel and I am happy with diesels as I enjoy the better economy and generally pulling power. However due to the recent uncertainty over future plans I am wondering about petrol. I notice that there are nowhere near as many used petrol XE's to choose from, but they do seem a little bit cheaper when compared like for like. The models I would be looking at are the 180bhp diesel or the 200bhp petrol. Is the extra power really noticeable? Bearing in mind the extra running costs? Which is likely to depreciate more?

Now I don't have a crystal ball. Am I just being paranoid or are diesels going to be hammered in the future by government plans etc?

btw I had a test drive in 240bhp AWD and the car was amazing to drive. Unfortunately I would have to settle for a 180bhp as it is a tad over my budget.

2. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I have not seen this debate on here for a while. It used to be a common debate. Of course years ago the Diesel was the low powered, clean, option; the petrol the polluting, evil, high powered option. The tables have turned somewhat in modern times. I notice the Diesel options are sometimes the higher power models these days (as in this case with the 240bhp Diesel), but in modern times Diesels are considered evil and dirty.

The scaremongering of Diesel cars is a bit of a silly myth really. Modern Diesels are far cleaner than the models from 20 years ago - and they are very clean even by todays harsh standards. The optimist in me thinks they will never put in a blanket ban on Diesels entering any cities, perhaps just the more heavily polluting ones (the older ones). But I suppose we never do know what the government will do. For all of us, its a risk we just have to take.

So its all about cost really. If you do not do many miles, I'd take the Petrol option. Will be a little smoother, and you will not really see the benefit in the running costs of a Diesel. Even though you have a few more BHP I would imagine it will actually seem slower, due to the smooth delivery, but you should have a tiny performance advantage over 180bhp Diesel drivers.

But if you do a lot of miles I'd go for the Diesel. It's a risk that the government don't ban them in cities, and cause all our resale values to plummet. But you will have similar performance (quite adequate I would imagine), and you will hopefully make a saving at the pumps.

One odd question though.... won't the XE seem a bit primitive if you have been driving about in a Range Rover?... I have to say if it was my choice I'd go for a used XF V8 or possibly a used high spec XJ?.... you can get a lot of used car for £33K!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2003 Mercedes S320CDi (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d go for the ingenium petrol 200Ps version over the earlier ford engine 200Ps model. More economic, more torque and more efficient too as it brings on boost earlier.

I get 44mpg on the motorway in my 25t ingenium. I’ve seen people get in the 60’s in their 180Ps diesel though. The difference though is that the diesels are 2 years/21k servicing compared to 1 year/16k servicing intervals for the ingenium petrols. I prefer petrol myself as I don’t do the mileage to justify the extra cost, I also find it more fun to drive in a petrol car.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post
    So its all about cost really. If you do not do many miles, I'd take the Petrol option. Will be a little smoother, and you will not really see the benefit in the running costs of a Diesel. Even though you have a few more BHP I would imagine it will actually seem slower, due to the smooth delivery, but you should have a tiny performance advantage over 180bhp Diesel drivers.
    In the old days, Diesels were not turbocharged and dog slow. Until recently, most petrol engines were also not turbocharged so needed more revs to deliver their full potential, making modern turbo-diesels "easier" to drive apart from the lack of go at the bottom end of the rev range. Now most engines are turbocharged, have a lack of go at the very bottom end and a lot of torque there after before running out of steam earlier than a good, old-fashioned N.A. petrol engine.

So modern petrols now seem to drive like modern diesels. In real terms petrol engines use more fuel but not as much as the manufacturers seem to claim. The 200 hp petrol XE seems to be 0.5 sec to 100km/h faster than the 180 hp diesel and is over 2000 Pounds cheaper which would buy quite a lot of fuel or some nice options. The petrol engine might be lighter??? which would help handling.

Who knows what will happen to the rulings on diesels but the bad press has depressed resale values. However, I would say that a high-mileage user still has to go diesel. To live with, all others might find a turbo-charged petrol rather similar to the equivalent diesel. Me, I still dislike the turbo lag at very low revs of any turbocharged car
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 200bhp Petrol XE is a great car, pretty swift and actually pretty economical if driven carefully (I have seen 48mpg on my commute driving like an old man).

That said driving the same in my 163 bhp XF sees 70+mpg driving in the same old git style and I get 54 mpg for the same route in the 180bhp F-Pace.

So it really comes down to do you do short or long journeys......as short journeys will cause DPF issues on the diesel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post

One odd question though.... won't the XE seem a bit primitive if you have been driving about in a Range Rover?... I have to say if it was my choice I'd go for a used XF V8 or possibly a used high spec XJ?.... you can get a lot of used car for £33K!
    I guess it may look a bit strange. So I will explain how I have come to my decisions.

My Rangerover is 15 years old (I bought it when it was 7 years old) and has the basic straight 6 3L engine. It is a lovely car to drive but really showing its age now and expensive to repair and run (25mpg and that is the diesel model!!). We have another 4X4 in the family so don't really need it anymore.

I fancy going back down the route of driving a saloon. I looked at Mercs and Jags and decided I want to go for a Jaguar. I can't afford new but I want a pretty new car now - maybe 1-2 years old. My budget is about 23-25K So Really that leaves the XE and XF. They are pretty similar prices used and the XF does seem better spec but wife finds it a touch big to drive. Also the XE rides and handles better in all the reports. So I plumped for the XE.

I have looked at a few and drove a lovely 240 BHP version but that is a tad over my budget really. So I have arrived at 180 diesel or 200 petrol. I also want to avoid a car with £450 annual tax if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    The XE has been around for about three years now so there seems to be plenty of choice and prices becoming more sensible. I have never owned one yet but from what I can see there are a huge number of optional extras and if some of these have been specified when new it will make the car much more desirable. IMHO I think the lack of the traditional Jaguar hallmarks of wood and chrome in the interior of an XE is a backward step
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get XE interiors with wood, just not many people spec it in their cars.

The ‘Riva hook’ dash wraparound, gear lever surround and top forward edge of the door panels inserts can all be spec’d in different wood trim, piano black, aluminium or carbon fibre.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 180bhp XE auto and it's performance is superb. Plenty of torque (almost too much) and power for acceleration. Unless you are a boy-racer, 180 bhp diesel is fine and I'm getting almost 25% more mpg than on my previous 2.2D X-Type. I can't comment on the petrol version and that's if you can find one.
    2.2D DPF SE Auto '59 plate

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2.0l petrol. Previous car was an X Type 2.2 diesel auto.
    I do miss the low down torque of the diesel but the petrol makes up for it once the turbo kicks in. Put it in sport and dynamic and it really goes.
    Fuel consumption is pretty good for a petrol. Using the computer I get about 35mpg in normal driving. About 45 on long journeys and I did get 51 travelling from Birmingham to Scunthorpe although most of the journey was in cruise control at 70mph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast