Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New S type possibly required, opinions sought on diesels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R2e View Post
    Of course it all depends on your annual mileage really. I do approximately 5000 miles per year. Even at 20 mpg (I get better than that out of my 4.2 despite a heavy right foot as I do mixed motorway/town mainly) and petrol at £1.50 a gallon, that's £375 per year. At 30 mpg it would be £250. So for £125 or £10 per month extra I have the pleasure and the extra performance when I need it from the V8. I get an additional bonus in that the V8 Jag is about 4-5 mpg better than its predecessor, a Mercedes ML350 (V6 Petrol). Obviously at my annual mileage a diesel would be a no-no. I must say, even if I was doing double that annual mileage, I would still opt for the V8 at an extra £20 a month!
    I wish petrol was £1.50 a gallon! Unfortunately it’s around £1.30 per litre, so your maths is a long way off. You’re spending getting on for £1500 a year for 5000 miles at 20 mpg not £375.

Ben
    2004 XJ X350 Super V8 LWB - Custom 19" alloys, 4 zone climate control, rear business trays

JagDroid - Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - forum thread HOWTO and website: http://www.jagdroid.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Well the clue was in the very first post and the desire of the OP to get better fuel mileage than he is currently getting

Personally, in the OP's position, I wouldn't rule out a petrol XF as a replacement as the S-Types are all a bit old now for a daily driver.
    I just don't like the style of the XF, & don't find it anywhere near as comfortable as the S type. There was one parked at our boat club meet the other night & I had to squeeze past it through a fairly narrow gap. It wasn't until we walked back past it that Mrs O noticed it was a Jag. We had both thought it was a Mondeo at first glance .
    If I can find a nice solid S, with reasonably low miles, that would be my first choice. Diesel economy would just ba a bonus .
    1999 S Type 3.0L SE, A truly lovely old girl that's served me well. Probably the best car I've had.
    02.5MY S Type 2.5L, 58,000 miles, full Jag s/h, all papers, MOT's, receipts etc from new when purchased.
    2006 X type SE 2.2 Diesel. Supposed to be Mrs O's economical commuter car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by orsom weels View Post
    I just don't like the style of the XF, & don't find it anywhere near as comfortable as the S type.
    I know what you mean but I like both in different ways. The XF rides a bit better than my S-Type and I really like the interior of the original XFs - modern cool. However those massive armchairs they put in the original S-Types are very comfortable. I can't remember what the later ones were like after they made them thinner and lighter. Freed up some space in the back though, I imagine.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those of us stuck on the S Type are stuck on it for its looks.

It looks like a Jaguar.

It is a Jaguar.

Just like those other old farts still stuck on the other Jags and Daimlers which look like Jags or Daimlers.

Not one of the recent or current models resemble a Jaguar.

So to me, they are not a progression or replacement.

5. Likes Irish Pappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Those of us stuck on the S Type are stuck on it for its looks.
    It is OK for individuals to live in the past but businesses won't do it. Those that tried have disappeared.

Not one of the recent or current models from a "A.N.Other" car manufacturer's cars resemble their cars from the sixties either. Just because a DB11 doesn't look like a DB5 does not mean it is not an Aston Martin.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    And they will.do just as well without us Neil.

I would never buy a brand new car in any case so I'm not going to affect their sales.

Stuck in the past.

Now where have I heard that before?

What a cop out.

Gertcha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    I would never buy a brand new car in any case so I'm not going to affect their sales.
    ... but eventually there will only be modern cars to choose from so even buying secondhand will mean no more retro Jaguars. The second and third owners are important because they determine resale value which helps convince first owners to invest in the first place.

My daughter can sport a Jaguar at 1000m from in the usual sea of Audis, Mercs and BMWs, be it an old one or a new one and she is not autistic There must be some distinguishing traits even in today's world of "formula" and wind tunnel design, one of which is that Ian Callum's team seem to manage well balanced designs. I personally don't like the hamster-cheek DRLs though

Talking of unattractive modern design, have you seen the latest smaller BMW SUVs (X1 and X2). They look to me like misshapen Hyundais, especially at the back. In the old days, Hyundai were rightly accused of caricaturing Jaguars and Mercs, etc. Now their design is more cohesive than the premium brands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by orsom weels View Post
    The carrot of 40 + mpg for 100 mile a day commutes .
    We looked at three diesels over the weekend, neither of us had ever driven a diesel S type before, so were keen to try one. Quite impressive performance, not far off the 3.0L & better than my 2.5L, lots of bottom end grunt & very smooth & quiet.
    They are impressive engines for performance, smoothness etc. The trouble is reliability. There are about 3 things which can go wrong with the 2.7 which will destroy the engine and wright the car off cost wise. Is it worth risking that for a few more MPG ? when you like the petrols so much ?
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

Post Thanks / Like
    Neil just for the sake of trying again, I passed by a Jag dealer today.

I saw the XF again. I stared at it for a couple of minutes. But it didn't appeal. Still.

The XE? No, no, no! Right away, it looks small.

An XJ, no idea what year. It Definitely has a Chrysler look to it.

Really I can't get up any interest.

There were a couple of Sovereign shaped ones there, I've no idea what exactly they are.

Those are more interesting but I'm not familiar with the limos and they aren't my style.

Really, I've tried.

Maybe when all S Types have become too old and I'm left with no other choice.

Possibly an X Type as I was considering one for Cyprus. But wifey put up too much resistance to it.

Or probably the XC90 and ML320/350 are possibles when I want or need a next car, if I can still clamber into one of them.

Overall, I came away unexpectedly depressed.

I won't be going to a Jag dealer again any time soon.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456