Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New S type possibly required, opinions sought on diesels

Post Thanks / Like

New S type possibly required, opinions sought on diesels

As the title suggests, I'm looking for opinions on the diesel S types.
    It looks like our faithful old 3.0L has got to that point in it's life where it either needs much work & money throwing at it or it's time to let it rest in piece, & with 266,000 miles under it's belt, an intermittent rattle from the from the cam on the left bank, it's going to need a new radiator before too much longer, the air con has just packed up & now the not unexpected discovery of quite extensive rot in the sill areas, I think the later option makes more sense. We will both be very sorry to see her go, we have had her now for 12 years & covered over 200,000 miles in her, & if I can find somewhere to store her away for attention at a later date, I may well do that. But in the mean time, as neither of us have really fallen for the X type, it looks like we are going to need something to replace our old S. We've been tentatively looking at all sorts of things, but have arrived at the conclusion that the only thing we will be really happy with is another S type. I have my 2.5 back on the road now, so we are not in a desperate hurry as we still have two cars, but I think at some point the X will have to be replaced with another S. The economy of the X has been good for Mrs O when she has to commute long distance for her job, (she works in two offices, one just over 4 miles away, the other nearer 50) which was really what it was bought for, but she still much prefers the S, hence us thinking about a diesel S type, a sort of one size fits all kind if thing.
    What are they really like to live with ? We'll be looking for a solid rust free example, so probably a late car, so a DPF car is a distinct possibility. Are they really that bad ? I know loads of other DPF equipped makes & models that seem to give no bother at all
    but seem to hear about quite a few issues with them on the S type. Is it just a case of only hearing about the few that give trouble & no one mentions the majority that never give any bother ? I'm told we could expect an average of around 40 mpg ? Is this about right or over optimistic ? We were lead to believe that the X type would average about 50 mpg, but in reality we're only getting 40 from that & folk are now saying “yea, that's about right”. Can a much heavier car with 500 extra CC's really give the same as we're getting from the X?
    I'm quite familiar with both the 1999 – 2002.5 & the 2002.5 – 2004 models, but have had very little to do with the 2004 on facelift models. Are there as many changes between these as there are between the earlier two types & if so, is there anything I should be worried about ? Any issues that the later cars suffer from that the earlier ones don't & in the same vein, is there anything that is much improved on the later cars ? I notice a trend towards larger rim diameters & lower profile tyres, something I'm not too sure about as in my experience low profile tyres mean a harsher ride. Do any of the later S types still come with 16 inch rims as a std fitment or did they all go to at least 17 inch ?
    Thanks in advance for any help, advice or opinions.
    Regards, OW
    1999 S Type 3.0L SE, A truly lovely old girl that's served me well. Probably the best car I've had. Now retired.
    02.5MY (X202) S Type 2.5L SE, 58,000 miles, full Jag s/h, all papers, MOT's, receipts etc from new when purchased.
    2006 X type SE 2.2 Diesel. Supposed to be Mrs O's economical commuter car.
    2004 (X202) 2.5L Sport plus, to replace the 3.0L

Post Thanks / Like
    We've had threads about what to buy that include the diesels - worth a hunt for them. Quite a few other things than the DPF go wrong specifically with the diesels and they're covered in the threads. I recall EGR, turbos and some had coolant/autotrans issues. I forget what else.

The main big changes were for 2002.5MY. Later ones were mostly cosmetic and some electronic/computer stuff.

It's hard to guess whether diesels are in the process of losing value or have already lost it - leave you to figure it out but with the pollution issues it's hard to imagine prices will do other than drop more.

On mpg, too many people/makers/reviewers quote "optimistic" figures. Hopefully some DPF-owners can give actual ones overall rather than on a run. (If you want optimistic, my STR does 36 or so on the motorway. It's not its overall mpg, though!)

As you know the petrols I'd be tempted to get another but up to you.

Yes, bigger rims give a harsher ride. (The STR sort of overcomes that by having very fat tyres. But the other models don't.)

I'm just mentioning the STR as it's what I have - it's not what you're going to get of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Petrol, everytime. Why ?? the poxy DPF. I accept they can be run OK if handled correctly, but I've enough problems and worries in my life without adding to them.
    PETROL
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Avoid the diesels!
    A 2005 maybe a sensible purchase if you had to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, please remember that diesels are not happy making short trips. Your wife's 50 mile commute is great, but the 4 miler... not so much.
    2003 S-Type 3.0, Zircon with the "Premium Package"...

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to own an early 2005 Diesel S type. Early 2005 models were not fitted with DPF's. These are identifiable by the turned down tips of the exhausts.

I loved it! the engine pulled like a train and gave really good economy even doing short trips here in rural Donegal. I was advised by my Indie to replace it with a petrol version. He said the short distances I normally did were a recipe for disaster to the turbos.

I found my present 3.0ltr S type that had uprated leather, Satnav and many other goodies, so was tempted away from the diesel. To be honest I preferred the diesel engine.

Good luck whatever you go with.........................................IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    You know the pitfalls OW.

All I will advise is to find a very low mileage one, below 80k miles and preferably around 50k miles.

They do exist, I've seen some before on Autotrader.

Here's an example, 51k miles but it's pricey, there will be others: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01807128386305

Maybe someone here might be willing to part with his/hers?

Personally I would avoid eBay because it IS a dumping ground of lying sellers or sellers who say nothing about the car, and you don't want a pig of a car to fix.

I've found Autotrader sellers are more honest.

Dealers may be secretive though.

And don't expect any fixing by the seller after you've bought the car. As soon as you hand over your money, it's your baby entirely.

Also allow another £500-£600 to have to spend on it to get it the way you want, it always happens to me.

So apply the usual caveats and if you can afford it, get an AA check done on the car for sill and subframe and suspension etc.

PS:- Your calcium batteries will be fully charged in a Diesel S Type!

All the best pal.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 10-08-18 at 19:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having had two x types, 2.0 and 2.2 and now on my second s type, I can answer a few of your questions through experience not what I've read. You will not get the same economy with the s type diesel as you did with the x. The difference will not be so great if the x types were auto as you cannot compare auto v manual. The 2.7 engine is an absolute peach, beautifully smooth and powerful. Re. Dpf, I agree with many to a point that they can be the death of an engine but only if, and its a big If, they are not treated correctly. I've read so many stories about the experience of a chap I know who's mates uncles workmates sons nephew (get my drift?) had one with problems. I've had several and so have quite a few friends and never had a problem, but, we knew about them and treated them accordingly. Re. Taxis and short trips. Almost all taxis are diesel and make short trips. Only difference is many are warm because they are constantly working. Oh and they all have Dpf. Talking to a well respected local indie a short while ago and he told me that they change the odd 2.2 and 2.0 engines because of dpf problems. Over a six month period that equated to two. The 3.0 over the same period was averaging 2-3 week!!!! That gentleman is from the horses mouth and I saw the engines. So, my point is if you are a rep go for a big or small engine with a dpf and you shouldn't have a problem. If you do local still have one but treat it properly. My 2.7, no dpf, ( which is for sale, only through change of circumstances) is just as happy doing short trips as longer ones, fact. On a run yesterday 60-70mph, 43mpg. Now this isn't vw passat consumption, mine easily does 55-58mpg, but the s type isn't a passat. It is a big car with loads of character, is super quite, fantastically comfortable, and great place to be, and yes, to all those thinking I would say all this because I'm selling mine, I would say every word if I wasn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add to my last post. I think the jaguar salesmen are almost all to blame for this dpf issue. They are selling to people who haven't a clue on what an engine is let alone a dpf. They will not tell them either because I would imagine many would not buy if they knew what could happen. They should say " so Mr Jones, you only go to the shop and golf club, I see, so what I want you to do every few days is get on a motorway stick it in 3rd and drive for twenty minutes at over 3000revs". It would frighten the **** out of them. But that gentlemen is, I'm sure, were the root problems are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got our first Jag an 05 S Type Diesel last week. (another thread tells you all about our 3rd time lucky purchase).
    Love it so far.
    Did a bit of a run the other day and getting 34.5 average MPG.
    I'm happy with anything over 30.
    Doubt if I'll be doing more than 4 or 5k miles per year.
    Although I love driving it so much that may change.

It's a bit of a step up from driving a 1999 Romahome Duo to a Jag
    (Now off you all go to find out what a Romahome Duo is).....

The info re DPF is useful.
    Not being a mechanic I had no idea if it had one or not.
    Car sellers love people like me. (walk in, that looks nice, sold).
    The exhausts are turned down on mine so as "Irish Pappy" say's it doesn't have one.
    Nice to know one way or the other.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast