Thread: 2009/58 plate X358 Sovereign Premium Sound front door speaker options

Post Thanks / Like

2009/58 plate X358 Sovereign Premium Sound front door speaker options

Hi everyone,

I've recently returned to Jag ownership - my 3rd now - and have a 2009/58 XJ Sovereign Diseasel. The other day whilst enjoying some over-enthusiastic 'commuter karaoke', I blew the front driver's side main door speaker. It's the so-called Premium Alpine system with the (alleged, asthmatic) subwoofer and DAB radio.

I could just buy a secondhand factory fit speaker that's the same but I'm guessing a better option might be to replace both front door speakers with size-compatible after market replacements. I remember in a previous car being impressed with Infinity Reference (although that was 17 years ago and technology has moved on since...)

Firstly, what size (diameter and depth) are the standard speakers in my Alpine Premium factory fit setup and has anyone replaced them with drop in (no door butchery) replacements and achieved better sound?

I am worried that buying a secondhand standard Jag/Alphine speaker, it could quickly blow and 'go flappy' like the original one and I'll be back to square one. It seems the standard head unit and amp is capable of over-driving the factory fit Alpines if one is over enthusiastic with the volume and the bass control. I'm not a Corsa driving chav, I'm a balding 40 year old professional but I still like to enjoy my Dire Straits turned up to 11 on occasion.

All advice/info much appreciated. I tried a search but mostly just found threads about full system replacement whereas I'm only after swapping out the main front door speakers (the larger ones, not the tweeters). That said - with the door cards removed it may make sense to upgrade the tweeters too ...

Fire away ... I'm listening
    Now: 2009 XJ 2.7 TDVi Sovereign X358
    Previously: 2010 XF 3.0 D Luxury, 2001 S-Type V6 Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    I've just found an old thread - 6.75" apparently - and you can get adapter plates to allow the more common 6.5" aftermarket speakers to be fitted. What power rating will I need to buy to avoid another popped speaker?

I was thinking of Infinity REF-6522EX as I have previously been impressed with the quality of the Infinity Reference series. These appear to be 'low profile/shallow' fit ones so hopefully not too deep to fit in the doors - I'd prefer some recommendations though based on other owners' experiences before I splash out the folding beer vouchers for something that'll sound worse than standard or not fit behind the standard door cards / Alpine covers properly ...
    Now: 2009 XJ 2.7 TDVi Sovereign X358
    Previously: 2010 XF 3.0 D Luxury, 2001 S-Type V6 Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you ever get anywhere with this?