Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel specs.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel specs.

I'm getting my Takoba's refurbed but I fancy a change. The problem is, most of the wheels I like are either XF, XK or later XJ. My Takoba's are 81/2J with 49mm offset but, invariably, the one's I fancy are staggered and the offsets are a lot different to mine. I need to know if I should stick to 8 1/2J all round or if I can go to 9 or 91/2 on the rears without running into any handling/safety problems and what offset do I need if I change the widths? Does anyone know of a comparison or calculator site I can use?
    Jagary, 09 XJ Sovereign 2.7 LWB Liquid Silver/Warm Charcoal & 98 4.0 X308 Aquamarine/Warm Charcoal

Post Thanks / Like
    The front is by far the most important - you need to keep the ground-level offset the same, or the steering geometry and braking will be upset. To be clear, this is the distance between the centre of the tyre on the road and the axis by which the suspension tries to steer the wheel around. The distance between the two gives you (partly) the steering self-centring force which in turn generates a lot of the forces used by ABS in particular.

A change of 5mm in ground-level offset can make the difference between a fine handling car and a total pig to drive with ABS that is severely compromised

at the rear, its not quite so critical, there being no steering. That having said, the rear suspension you have does depend on the lower wishbone moving in a complex way which is partly generated by wheel forces.

On some models, the car is made to handle with a bit more pizazz by making the rear tyre grip more, which is why its wider. The X350 is a fine handling car as is, so doesn't really need this "enhancement"

Its worth pointing out that "handling" and "grip" are opposites - a surfeit of grip destroys handling. Handling is generated by deflection of the tyre, and the more sidewall you have, the more deflection, ergo the better the handling

3. Likes Neilr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Woody although, to be honest, most of it went over my head as I'm not very technically minded. I've found a set of Senta's, the fronts are the same spec as my Takoba's but the rears are 9 1/2J with a 26mm offset. Would that size be ok or, even though there is less choice, should I try to find 4 the same spec?
    Jagary, 09 XJ Sovereign 2.7 LWB Liquid Silver/Warm Charcoal & 98 4.0 X308 Aquamarine/Warm Charcoal

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC Jim had 4 front Sentas on his XJ 358.
    XJ X351 5.0 V8 Portfolio, Black 2011 17k
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=111207
    Range Rover Vogue, 4.2 V8 Supercharged, Grey '08 80k
    http://bit.ly/2kB60lW

Previously

XJ X358 2.7Tdvi Sovereign, Vapour Grey '08 70k
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=98612
    X Type Sport, 3.0 V6, Racing Green '03 plate 80k.
    http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f69/my-3-0-x-48345.html

6. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jagary View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Woody although, to be honest, most of it went over my head as I'm not very technically minded. I've found a set of Senta's, the fronts are the same spec as my Takoba's but the rears are 9 1/2J with a 26mm offset. Would that size be ok or, even though there is less choice, should I try to find 4 the same spec?
    that would put the centre of the contact patch in the same place as you have now, so in geometric terms would be OK.

I'm not sure, however, if there's enough frontspace or backspace for the wheel, though (that's physical space under the wheelarch without catching anything)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Woody. This is what I've found on a wheel fitment calculation site; https://tinyurl.com/y8a57p7d

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jagary View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    IIRC Jim had 4 front Sentas on his XJ 358.
    Hey there Jagary…

Colin is as usual, on the money. I had Senta's fitted to my XJ X358, see my thread here....https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=67352

Here's what they looked like on the car

I bought 2 sets of fronts 8 1/2 J from DGT Alloys in Essex, they were replicas but very good quality and no issues with them in 3 years, only £525 for the complete set too and that was delivered!

I also added 20mm hubcentric H & R wheel spacers too and they REALLY filled the arches and looked the way they should've done from the factory imo
    No rubbing, no fouling and no issues in the 2-3 years they were fitted either

The Senta fronts are 8 1/2 J and ET49 and so a perfect fit AND they're OEM Jag wheels too

Hope it helps
    Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Hey there Jagary…

Colin is as usual, on the money. I had Senta's fitted to my XJ X358, see my thread here....https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=67352

Here's what they looked like on the car

I bought 2 sets of fronts 8 1/2 J from DGT Alloys in Essex, they were replicas but very good quality and no issues with them in 3 years, only £525 for the complete set too and that was delivered!

I also added 20mm hubcentric H & R wheel spacers too and they REALLY filled the arches and looked the way they should've done from the factory imo
    No rubbing, no fouling and no issues in the 2-3 years they were fitted either

The Senta fronts are 8 1/2 J and ET49 and so a perfect fit AND they're OEM Jag wheels too

Hope it helps
    Jim
    Oh, Jim - I'll never understand how you came to part with that car. It truly was/is a thing of beauty.
    Jaguar XJ 350 TDVi Sovereign SWB, indigo blue, cream leather, 20" Sepangs

11. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Westminster View Post
    Oh, Jim - I'll never understand how you came to part with that car. It truly was/is a thing of beauty.
    Thanks Westminster, I have to agree with you to some degree

I LOVED that car and still do, keep in tough regularly with the new owner too ( he loves her as well ) and yes, I do miss her, she was a beauty to behold. Even as much as I love my new ride I do still appreciate her

I'm wondering if the PO will go down the route of the Senta's or not?
    I thought they were a lovely wheel and really suited the car, for my tastes anyway. Once again those replica wheels were a serious bargain from DGT and never had an issue with them at all.

Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Thanks Westminster, I have to agree with you to some degree

I LOVED that car and still do, keep in tough regularly with the new owner too ( he loves her as well ) and yes, I do miss her, she was a beauty to behold. Even as much as I love my new ride I do still appreciate her

I'm wondering if the PO will go down the route of the Senta's or not?
    I thought they were a lovely wheel and really suited the car, for my tastes anyway. Once again those replica wheels were a serious bargain from DGT and never had an issue with them at all.

Jim
    Lovely wheels, I agree Jim. A snip at that price as well, mate.
    Jaguar XJ 350 TDVi Sovereign SWB, indigo blue, cream leather, 20" Sepangs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast