Thread: From XF-S 3.0 TDV6 to petrol-engine XE - but which one?

Post Thanks / Like

From XF-S 3.0 TDV6 to petrol-engine XE - but which one?

Hello forum,

New forum member, first post. Short introduction: I'm a Jaguar driver since 3 years - before that I drove various Saab Aero / Turbo models. I live in Amsterdam. I'm generally very happy with my 275 bhp XF-S (2010)- it's a beautiful car in a limited edition to celebrate 75 years of Jaguar. I think it's more or less the Portfolio trim with extra's such as seats from the XK-R; it's anthracite grey on 20" Volans wheels. Lovely car.

Reason for my post: After 3 years in the XF, I'm thinking about switching to an XE. This should be a petrol-engine XE since I don't drive that much km's nowadays. I'd be looking to buy 2nd hand, 2-3 years old, low mileage. Obviously I'll drive in one or more XE's before I buy one, but I'd like some help from the forum in determining what models I should focus on. There's a couple of things that are important to me:

What I really like about the XF-S is the two faces it has: it can be an incredibly comfortable long-range cruiser, but it can also be very dynamic and sporty.
    On the sporty side: I think the slower XE models are out of the question, but would a 240 of 250 bph 2-liter version provide a similar driving dynamic as my XF-S, or should I go strictly for the 3-liter XE-S? Judging by the numbers, the XE-S is signicantly faster than my XF, I'm sure I'll enjoy that - in comparison, the 2-liters are a bit slower than the XF-S and have less torque. I rarely push my XF to the max but I like driving with Dynamic mode engaged and some paddle shifting; I don't use the Sports setting of the gearbox very often (but have fun when I do...)

In the end it's about enjoying a sporty car - so how it feels is more important than actual 0-60 figures. Currently I'm inclinded to look for a XE-S - but they are somewhat hard to find, and if a 2-liter XE in the right trim (or perhaps with some aftermarket tweaks?) can come close to my XF-S in terms of sportiness, that would mean I could cast a wider net.

On the smoothness side - should I expect the same level of comfort on long drives from an XE as from my XF, or is that not realistic? After all the XE is a smaller and somewhat cheaper car; but it's also about 5 years newer and judging by most reviews, very good. How do they compare on long drives? If I want a two-faced car, should there specific suspension trims on the XE that I should aim for, or avoid?

Lastly, I'm a professional musician so sound quality is important to me. I really like the B&W system in my XF and assume I should go for an XE with the Meridian system. Any thoughts on how the two compare? And I believe there are two different Meridian systems available for the XE - is the base one already very good, or should I aim for the top system? Not interested in extremely loud volumes or superheavy bass - precise & natural sound is what I'm looking for.

Thank you for any input you might have on this. And of course - if I'm overlooking things in my comparison between the XF and XE, I'd love to hear it.

Ivo

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps my first post was a bit too expansive... For those who prefer a more concise post, this is basically what I'd like to know:
    - which XE petrol-engine models would deliver a dynamic, sports-like performance comparable to, or better than my XF-S 3.0 diesel?
    - how would these faster XE models compare to the XF as a long-distance cruiser?
    - how do the Meridian sound systems in the XE compare to the B&W system in the XF?
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on this from people who have experienced both XF and XE models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsJag View Post
    Perhaps my first post was a bit too expansive... For those who prefer a more concise post, this is basically what I'd like to know:
    - which XE petrol-engine models would deliver a dynamic, sports-like performance comparable to, or better than my XF-S 3.0 diesel?
    - how would these faster XE models compare to the XF as a long-distance cruiser?
    - how do the Meridian sound systems in the XE compare to the B&W system in the XF?
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on this from people who have experienced both XF and XE models.
    no question go for the 3.0ltr 380 bhp supercharged xf, it's more suitable for long distance, the meridian system sounds better in the xf than the XE, I've heard both, but that's only my opinion.
    Jaguar XFS 3.0 380bhp Supercharged with all the toys
    Previous Jags
    XE 2.0 Portfolio 2015/16 in Celestial Black and fully loaded
    XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio 2014/15
    XF Premium Luxury 3.0 2013
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 2008
    S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 2005
    X Type 2.5 V6 AWD Estate 2004
    S Type 3.0 SE V6 petrol 1999

also have Yamaha FJR1300

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, good suggestion - perhaps I was overlooking some of the more recent XF petrol engine options.
    When I bought the XF diesel, high-powered petrol XF models that I was aware of were the 5.0 or 4.2 engines, which I felt are a bit too much. On the other end of the spectrum, 2nd hand there are some 2 liter petrol XF versions on offer at dealerships, which are a step back from the 275 bhp diesel. But I see that there are some more recent 340 & 380 hp 3.0 V6 options that could be interesting too - will keep an eye open for those as well.
    Would still be interested to hear how the XF would compare against the quicker XE models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsJag View Post
    Thank you, good suggestion - perhaps I was overlooking some of the more recent XF petrol engine options.
    When I bought the XF diesel, high-powered petrol XF models that I was aware of were the 5.0 or 4.2 engines, which I felt are a bit too much. On the other end of the spectrum, 2nd hand there are some 2 liter petrol XF versions on offer at dealerships, which are a step back from the 275 bhp diesel. But I see that there are some more recent 340 & 380 hp 3.0 V6 options that could be interesting too - will keep an eye open for those as well.
    Would still be interested to hear how the XF would compare against the quicker XE models.
    A friend of mine has the XE 380bhp and there’s no difference
    Jaguar XFS 3.0 380bhp Supercharged with all the toys
    Previous Jags
    XE 2.0 Portfolio 2015/16 in Celestial Black and fully loaded
    XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio 2014/15
    XF Premium Luxury 3.0 2013
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 2008
    S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 2005
    X Type 2.5 V6 AWD Estate 2004
    S Type 3.0 SE V6 petrol 1999

also have Yamaha FJR1300