Thread: Ink Cartridge Scam

Post Thanks / Like

Ink Cartridge Scam

This is a well known scam but you may like this video - you can fast forward around three minutes if you want to skip the sillyness:

"I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, yes, been there.

I bought a lovely Brother A4 autoduplex, autofeed printer for around £120 about 3 years ago in the UK, cheap inks, available from other manufacturers too and they aren't disabled.

Perfect.

In Cyprus I bought a new WiFi printer and chose an HP one which has the most cheapish cartridges deliberately, because that too disables foreign cartridges.

Of course it kindly has a pair of starter ink packs - enough for 50 pages!

Good old HP, I know you of old!

So I bought a pair of the larger volume ink cartridges at the same time, I think €20 each.

They cost £24+ here in the UK.

So I'm not entirely happy, it's manual duplex, clumsy shape so it takes a lot more desk space than my wonderful Brother. And it cost €80.

And printing through WiFi directly took a long time to set up, and still isn't completely right.

I wish I could take my Brother back!

But I'll reconsider and buy a better printer and sell the one I have.

Check out Brothers, brothers, you will like them I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    At 6.34 he shows a possible "chip reset" method to cancel empty cartridge messages. Does anyone have any more info about this?

Jim. I've also been there with HP. I had a simple HP printer that replaced an earlier Epson. The reason I chose HP was that the print head was contained in the cartridge and therefore was changed with it. The Epson was scrapped after ink dried out in the print heads through infrequent use and the heads could not be successfully cleaned or replaced. The HP however only had two cartridges, a black and a combined 3 in 1 for the colours. Of course one colour would run out and it wouldn't print even black only. I found an ink replacement kit and had success refilling used colour cartridges (albeit a messy job) for a year or so but then made a fatal mistake in that I hadn't noticed that auto update was on and the printer downloaded and installed a firmware update. After that it refused to recognise refilled cartridges or non-HP replacements. While looking for replacement OE / HP cartridges at Tesco I discovered that a new HP printer / scanner (mine was printer only) was cheaper than a black and a coloured cartridge and probably had enough ink for a month or so at my low usage as well. But I wasn't going to pay that much again. I found a firm on line (IJT) that sold me a new Epson printer, scanner, duplex, WiFi along with 4 sets of cartridges (separate colours this time) for a total cost less than the cost of 3 sets of HP cartriges. Moreover, their replacement recycled cartridges are less than a third of the cost of OE ones so I'm happy with that and have had the printer now for several years.

Ian C
    2005 2.0D SE Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine used to swear by the cheap Lexmark printers, because new ones came with full up full sized cartridges.

When his ink ran out, he would landfill his old printer and buy a new one, as it was cheaper than a new set of cartridges.

What a waste.
    2007 XJ diesel Sovereign
    KTM 1290 SuperDuke R
    Ducati Supersport S

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I spotted another new printer, HP Envy.

£35.

Next to them were the cartridges, possibly for other HP printers... £59 for the colour cartridge!

Ridiculous.

Next to those I found 1Terrabyte external hard disks. £42.99 for a Toshiba, £45 and £47 for other brands. And £62.xx for 2TB disks.

2TB is too big for my needs so I bought the Tosh.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on your friend's wavelength Owl.

I've recently purchased an HP colour laser printer (also a scanner!) for a discounted £199. A replacement set of HP cartridges costs £235.

When required I shall seek and fit compatibles at less than half the price and override all software messages.

We also use an Epson colour inkjet, had it for years and it runs just as well on compatible cartridges at a significant saving compared with Epson originals.

Manufacturers original cartridges are indeed a con but thankfully there's a flourishing and very competitive market in comparable compatibles.
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a HP printer/scanner that I bought in 2012 and it's still giving excellent service. I also have a practically brand new Brother A3 scanner/printer pile of junk that I have thrown in the shed. Utter junk. You send it a print package and about 10 minutes later it tells you it's failed to print but won't tell you why...
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

This may help some people.

https://www.inkntoneruk.co.uk/ink-ca...ge-protection/

May need checking every so often too.

TA. LJag
    2004 2.0D X-Type