Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: A question of depreciation.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    I believe the AJ V8 was a bespoke Jaguar engine (work had already begun on it prior to Ford buying Jaguar). Ford paid for it to go from the development stage into production.
    I did an exercise once where I compared part numbers from the AJV8 to the Ford V6 - you'd be surprised how much is the same. It looks like the architecture for the Jaguar engine was borrowed from Ford (main dimensions, valvegear layout and some parts)

2. Thanks Thomas Hayward thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverichardson View Post
    As someone who watches both Formula 1 and Formula E, my position is that I cannot stand the Scalextric sort of sound of the electric cars, where’s I adore the sound of my V8: So much so that in four years I have never used the radio or CD. I much prefer the soundtrack the V8 provides.

I accept that electric cars will certainly have the pace, and as saloons may have the space and grace, but in a GT/Sports car the sound is part of the grace, at least as far as I am concerned!
    Completely agree - I wouldn't argue against the performance available from electric cars, but they sound less stimulating or involving than a washing machine on spin cycle. I'll take a blood and thunder V8 noise any day of the week.
    2014 XF 3.0D Portfolio / 2006 Kia Picanto 1.1LX

4. Likes Daverichardson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I guess it'll probably be gone, never to return, when the straight six arrives/engine contract ends.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    It was in the press recently that the Jaguar V8 days are numbered already.
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting, thank you. I love learning new things. You think maybe that was a case of Ford engineering down the Jaguar V8? Ford actually had a different V8 themselves too. Although the Jag one ended up in a couple of their cars stateside (I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    I did an exercise once where I compared part numbers from the AJV8 to the Ford V6 - you'd be surprised how much is the same. It looks like the architecture for the Jaguar engine was borrowed from Ford (main dimensions, valvegear layout and some parts)

Post Thanks / Like
    Although the Jag one ended up in a couple of their cars stateside (I believe).
    Definitely the DE98 based Lincoln LS and Thunderbird but with the slightly smaller 3.9l displacement.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

8. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some interesting engine discussions here.

The AJ-V6 was mentioned to be a Ford engine, and that much is true, but did you know it started life as a Porsche engine, designed to sit in the 944 replacement? That car was abandoned (along with all front engined cars for a while) in favour of the flat engined Boxster, so Ford bought the rights and finished development.

With regards to the AJ-V8, I do not have specific details on the 5.0 right now but this article detailing how the original 3.2 and 4.0 variants came to life makes for fascinating reading:
    https://www.aronline.co.uk/facts-and...-jaguar-aj-v8/
    Current:
    '10 Jaguar XK 5.0 Convertible Portfolio
    '09 Fiat Panda 100HP
    Previous:
    '05 Jaguar X-Type Estate 3.0 V6 Sport Premium Manual
    '04 Chrysler Crossfire 3.2 V6 Roadster Manual
    '99 Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 X Manual
    '00 Renault Mégane Coupe 1.6 16v Monaco Manual
    '98 Saab 9-5 Saloon 2.3 LPT SE Manual
    '95 Rover 214SEi 16v

10. Thanks Jodel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mazda also used that engine. (in a 2.5)

The V6 was used in the X Type, S Type and Early XF's, I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    Some interesting engine discussions here.

The AJ-V6 was mentioned to be a Ford engine, and that much is true, but did you know it started life as a Porsche engine, designed to sit in the 944 replacement? That car was abandoned (along with all front engined cars for a while) in favour of the flat engined Boxster, so Ford bought the rights and finished development.

With regards to the AJ-V8, I do not have specific details on the 5.0 right now but this article detailing how the original 3.2 and 4.0 variants came to life makes for fascinating reading:
    https://www.aronline.co.uk/facts-and...-jaguar-aj-v8/

Post Thanks / Like
    I rather fancy that the AJV8 was rationalised to use the Ford engine's architecture - that Ford V6 was in production a way before, its the "old" Mondeo ST200 engine. And I think it was Yanaha in origin, but I'd need to check this

Post Thanks / Like
    The V6 was used in the X Type, S Type and Early XF's, I believe?
    ...and the X350 XJ

15. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast