Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Autoglym headlight restoraion kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do remember to clearcoat the headlights afterwards; otherwise you may have to repeat the process regularly.

I had mine restored recently. Photos are rather large, so do zoom in.
    2007 XK 4.2 - Liquid Silver & Charcoal (pre-production; VIN 00031)
    Ex:
    2001 X-Type 2.5 SE - Platinum, Dove & Granite

2. Likes 8bit, Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
    Do remember to clearcoat the headlights afterwards; otherwise you may have to repeat the process regularly.

I had mine restored recently. Photos are rather large, so do zoom in.
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not terribly difficult to take the headlights out of the car completely - there are a couple of bolts visible from above each light cluster and one in a recess near the top front side of each wheel arch - with engine running turn the steering all the way to the left to access the bolt in the right arch and vice versa (obviously don't leave the engine running with the steering on full lock for any more than a few seconds or you'll cook the PAS fluid). Then just the washer fluid hose to disconnect and the big electrical connector.

That way you can take the cluster where it's easier to work on, such as the wife's dining table or something, much more comfortable and convenient that doing the job with them still in the car, and less risk to the paintwork too. Just be careful when lifting them in or out of the car so's not to scratch anything.

5. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Removing the lights completely is pretty easy (I've done it a couple of times when bulbs went), aside from one nut in the wheel arch. However, I left mine in, as I felt it would be easier to work on them if they weren't moving all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    It's not terribly difficult to take the headlights out of the car completely - there are a couple of bolts visible from above each light cluster and one in a recess near the top front side of each wheel arch - with engine running turn the steering all the way to the left to access the bolt in the right arch and vice versa (obviously don't leave the engine running with the steering on full lock for any more than a few seconds or you'll cook the PAS fluid). Then just the washer fluid hose to disconnect and the big electrical connector.

That way you can take the cluster where it's easier to work on, such as the wife's dining table or something, much more comfortable and convenient that doing the job with them still in the car, and less risk to the paintwork too. Just be careful when lifting them in or out of the car so's not to scratch anything.
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    Very nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?
    150 € total, took them in on a monday and got them back on a thursday. Certainly more money than a kit, but mine were looking very bad and I do prefer long-term solutions. These headlight units are very expensive...

I've used a restoration kit (by Philips) once, on my sister's car, and while the result was alright, they've since gotten hazier again. The professionals said the sealant stuff found in a typical restoration kit will protect the surface for 9-12 months.
    2007 XK 4.2 - Liquid Silver & Charcoal (pre-production; VIN 00031)
    Ex:
    2001 X-Type 2.5 SE - Platinum, Dove & Granite

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    there are a couple of bolts visible from above each light cluster and one in a recess near the top front side of each wheel arch - with engine running turn the steering all the way to the left to access the bolt in the right arch and vice versa
    I have removed the headlights on both my 4.2 and 5.0 XKR's a number of times and found that the bolt in the wheel arch liner is easily accessible without needing to turn the wheels.
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, XKR-S Tune)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    However, I left mine in, as I felt it would be easier to work on them if they weren't moving all over the place.
    I have done headlights and rear lights on a few cars - none of our Jaguars though. Both in situ and out of the car.

I too found it easier to leave them in the car. They are a very awkward shape to clamp steady when on the bench.

Easier on the back on the bench though. I learned to use a stool or box of the right height so I could sit comfortably at the task.
    X358 SV8 LWB in Ultimate Black, Limo Tint Rears, Takoba 9Jx20 alloys

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123