Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steering wobble when braking

Post Thanks / Like

steering wobble when braking

Hi all.

I took my 2000 xkr coupe in for a service last week at my local garage and told him to take the car for a test drive as i had a steering wobble when braking to turn or coming upto a roundabout. i had a new pair of front discs fitted about 8 months ago before this service was due as i had brought the car from the garage owner.
    Anyway he took the car for a test run and couldnt find any issues, he put the car onto a ramp and checked all steering joints and bushes, hoses, tracking arms and all was ok, next job take front wheels off and check discs and calipers and pads and found that the new discs had warped he didnt get the discs from jaguar but from some company he has been dealing with for many years and has never had this issue before. so he phoned this company up and they told him to take off the old/new discs and return them for inspection and he would send a replacement set free of charge and also pay his labour to fit the new discs. All this was done last week with my full service but have now noticed that the wheel wobble has returned when braking as before, the tracking is fine and tyres are good and correct air pressures, so am taking the jag back tomorrow morning to my local garage again to see what is causing this steering issue i will keep you all posted on what he might find. Has anyone else had this issue??

Post Thanks / Like
    its really very common indeed.

check how you've bedded the brakes in, that the wheels are straight and that the calipers are operating without binding first of all

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 2woody, and all,

Well i took the xkr in the garage this morning, and the garage rang me late afternoon and said that he test drove the car and said that it wasnt right when braking and turning as it should. he took off the front wheels and checked the discs and front calipers and all was found to be good, no binding or sticking discs spun freely, calipers good working order. the car then went onto the ramp where he checked all steering joints, rack, tracking arms, wishbone joints etc all good working order, the tracking was also checked before he put the car onto the ramp and that was spot on!! the only thing he could come up with was the valves that plug onto the very top of the front suspension springs. when he put his weight onto the rear body you could see the back of the car go down with the pressure being put on. but when he did the same to the front there was no movement at all in the front springs which did concern him. i have gone though all my jag books and manuals and have found a fuse that is in the rear boot space, this is called Adaptive damping control module and is a 20 amp fuse, i wonder if this has blown but its to dark to see today so will check this out tomorrow morning. failing that my local garage suggests to take off the front suspension units and check them over to see why theres no movement in them, he also said that these have an anti drive device that may be at fault. but i have noticed no advice in any book or mag about this suspension issue, jaguar main dealers may be another option but expensive maybe.. I will check this fuse and go from there first. Any more ideas anyone!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 2woody, and all,

Well i took the xkr in the garage this morning, and the garage rang me late afternoon and said that he test drove the car and said that it wasnt right when braking and turning as it should. he took off the front wheels and checked the discs and front calipers and all was found to be good, no binding or sticking discs spun freely, calipers good working order. the car then went onto the ramp where he checked all steering joints, rack, tracking arms, wishbone joints etc all good working order, the tracking was also checked before he put the car onto the ramp and that was spot on!! the only thing he could come up with was the valves that plug onto the very top of the front suspension springs. when he put his weight onto the rear body you could see the back of the car go down with the pressure being put on. but when he did the same to the front there was no movement at all in the front springs which did concern him. i have gone though all my jag books and manuals and have found a fuse that is in the rear boot space, this is called Adaptive damping control module and is a 20 amp fuse, i wonder if this has blown but its to dark to see today so will check this out tomorrow morning. failing that my local garage suggests to take off the front suspension units and check them over to see why theres no movement in them, he also said that these have an anti drive device that may be at fault. but i have noticed no advice in any book or mag about this suspension issue, jaguar main dealers may be another option but expensive maybe.. I will check this fuse and go from there first. Any more ideas anyone!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,
    I have just checked my jaguar handbook on this Adaptive Damping Control Module, turns out theres 2 fuses for this a 20 amp and a 5 amp fuse!!! both located in the boot space do you think one is for the front and one for the rear maybe as the book does not say??

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    Just a thought . .
    The front wishbone bushes have a tendency to seize up and cause no movement in the wishbone.
    I had the ones on my XK8 replaced last year, the suspension movement decreases over time and you might not notice it!
    My car doesn’t have CATS, so may not have been affected in the way you describe, sounds like you have CATS, (adaptive suspension)
    XK8 4.2 Sport 2004
    Audi A3 1.8 TFSI Black Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi bobrobmb,

Yes my xkr does have C.A.T.S system and super sport suspension fitted when new. well i checked all fuses and relays and are all good. went out today to go shopping and the ABS light and traction control light was on amber. this corrects itself by the next day and i get no amber light. i must admit i am confused over this problem. How much did replacing the wishbone rubbers cost to do? because i may get my local indie to look at the wishbone rubbers although he did tell me that he checked over all steering and bushes etc etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    I think they were in the order of £300 (the pair) as the wishbones have to come out.
    They won’t look perished and won’t necessarily appear a problem, but the wishbone seizes in them and won’t move making the front end very firm and the shock absorber, no longer the absorption point!
    XK8 4.2 Sport 2004
    Audi A3 1.8 TFSI Black Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I have just disconnected the battery for an hour and noticed both terminals was loose, so re- connected after an hour and tightened up both terminals. turned on the ignition and fired her up now no amber warning light for abs and traction control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stujagx64 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have just checked my jaguar handbook on this Adaptive Damping Control Module, turns out theres 2 fuses for this a 20 amp and a 5 amp fuse!!! both located in the boot space do you think one is for the front and one for the rear maybe as the book does not say??
    no, sorry the fuses will affect each of the dampers in exactly the same way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast