Thread: Remove rain sensor from windshield

Post Thanks / Like

Remove rain sensor from windshield

Hello,

I like to remove detach the rain sensor from the windshield. Does someone know how to do this, without breaking glass or rain sensor.

The rain sensor and rear mirror I want to attach it again on my other other jag.
    Last edited by snhnic; 14-09-18 at 14:17.
    X-Type Estate 2.0 D 2005

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snhnic View Post
    Hello,

I like to remove detach the rain sensor form the windshield. Does someone know how to do this, without breaking glass or rain sensor.

The rain sensor and rear mirror I want to attach it again on my other other jag.
    Hi...

don't know what's involved in physically detaching the sensor from the windscreen... however, does the Jaguar you want to attach the sensor to have the required wiring and rain module already fitted?
    X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 2002MY 77K miles Platinum Cranberry leather sports seats. My 1st Jag Feb 2017

Retrofits: Climate Control (from manual ac), nav/touch screen, LED interior, facelift multi-function steering wheel, bluetooth, voice, message centre, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, ACM, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, 'JagDroid' Android upgrade, parking sensors and front/rear cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I'm aware, it comes already bonded to the screen so isn't removable?
    I'm sure I had to order a screen with rain sensor when mine was replaced.
    2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign.
    Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy them second hand off Ebay, so they must come off!
    2009 2.0D Sovereign Estate 70,000 mls, Ionian blue, Charcoal leather with cream piping & cream leaper logo on Headrests, Alpine premium sound,Sat nav, CD changer & ACM.100w/ 55w HID headlights, LED Fogs, LED indicators, EGR blanked. Blue calipers with Jag logo, front/rear Dash cams, Power fold mirrors on lock, Auto DRL/Fog changeover, Projector Puddle lights, Rear ashtray conv to USB/Aux, Andriod computer int to touchscreen c/w reverse/front cameras, Twin S/S back boxes, OAP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have a Donor car and want to make my good cat working with the rainsensor and autolights. So yes I have a module and wiring.

I could try heat or a sharp knife, but I really don't want to break the thing. Not sure if it is in the glass or glued on. As Euan is pointing out, they are on ebay, so there has to be a way!
    X-Type Estate 2.0 D 2005

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan Tausney View Post
    You can buy them second hand off Ebay, so they must come off!
    You can get anything off but it doesn't mean they were designed to come off......
    2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign.
    Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have thought the mirror would be designed to come off in the case of an accident?

Post Thanks / Like
    They are glued on to the screen, just use either a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the warm the glue up and then use some fishing line in a sawing motion from top to bottom and it should come off.

As regards ordering new screens, they only ask if you have the rain sensor etc so that the screen they send you has the appropriate black panel with the holes for the sensors.
    Dave

2003.50MY Facelift Midnight Black XJ8 3.5 V8, Electrochromic Rear View Mirror & Electrochromic Folding Wing Mirrors, Heated Dove Grey Leather Memory Seats with 16 Way Adjustment, ARTS Active Headrests, Factory Sat Nav, Factory Bi-Xenons, CATS Air Suspension. Bluetooth & Voice control now retrofitted and working. Currently about to start the rear entertainment retrofit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan Tausney View Post
    I would have thought the mirror would be designed to come off in the case of an accident?
    They do Euan, they took my existing mirror and put it on the new screen when I had it replaced.

Although I have now moved on to an X356 now, which has Auto-sensing Wipers, I don't use it, as I prefer my choice of timing for the 7 drops of water.....
    2006 XJ6, X356, 2.7 TDVi Sport Premium Auto
    2002 X Type, X400, 2.5 L Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFY View Post
    Hi...

don't know what's involved in physically detaching the sensor from the windscreen... however, does the Jaguar you want to attach the sensor to have the required wiring and rain module already fitted?
    Hi, apologies for answering your post some 4 weeks behind time but have just spotted it on the forum.
    With regard to the mirror, it is able to be removed from the screen but you must leave behind the mounting ring which is bonded by the windscreen factory when the glass is produced.
    This is why you have to spec the type of windscreen you have.... to suit either the standard mirror or the dipping, rain sensing type.
    It is not only the black areas that are designed in but the fixing of this mounting bracket using industrial strength adhesive at the factory.
    Removing the mirror involves removing the triangle shaped plastic top cover and then 'encouraging' the mirror by pulling it sharply down parallel to the screen. You may have to tap it or push it down from above also to have it slide from the mounting. It is held in by two spring clips, one either side of the part number label in photo 1 onto which the mirror slides by way of a groove either side. This is why the mirror must be slid down to remove it.

NOTE... You do NOT want to remove the mounting bracket from the glass.

There is also an electrical plug to pull off from within the mirror base.

I have added some photos here to show the base, the horseshoe shaped windscreen bracket and the sensor
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	28680
    This is the mirror base ready to be fitted to the mounting ring fixed to the screen

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg 
Size:	453.7 KB 
ID:	28681
    This is the mirror slid onto the mounting ring

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG 
Size:	718.1 KB 
ID:	28682
    This is the mounting ring (will be fixed to screen) and above it, the rain sensing unit which fits within the mounting ring

Unfortunately, the forum is telling me that I have reached my limit for photos so cannot post any more at present.

However, I hope that I have discouraged the removal of the mounting bracket from the screen and stress that the removal of the mirror be done with a bit of care.

Hope this helps.

JEK

The Devil finds work for idle hands!!

2008 x-type 2.2d SE Auto Estate in Glacier Blue with SEL leather trim and Barbados alloys. Oh...and all the toys ! love it !

11. Thanks Billy2Jags thanked for this post