Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix paint chips

Post Thanks / Like

How to fix paint chips

Hi all,

I have a "new" 2010 XFS 3.0D in grey (browny grey?) and have a couple of sections on the front bumper and lower bumper that have missing paint.
    Do you know how I can repair these please? The colour is not one I can find in Halfords
    Is it a masking tape and spray job or much more complex?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front bumper.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	589.8 KB 
ID:	28414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front bumper 2.jpg 
Size:	436.1 KB 
ID:	28415
    2010 XFS 3.0 D Portfolio, vapour grey with full leather interior. Only things she doesn't have is heated steering wheel and sunroof. Her name is Jean Grey.
    2007 X-Type 2.2 diesel, grey with black half leather interior. Climate and cruise control. Her name is Grace.
    2001 X-Type 2.5 petrol, black with dove full leather and climate control. Her name is Anastasia

Post Thanks / Like
    Any diy is glorified bodging .
    The whole bumper will need painting professionally​ to match the rest of the bodywork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for these tiny missing bits? Wow....
    That seems excessive but it certainly would be nice. Of course I expect that will cost a good few hundred and take a week without the car.
    I'm hoping there may be some temporary fix at least until I can get the proper job done.
    2010 XFS 3.0 D Portfolio, vapour grey with full leather interior. Only things she doesn't have is heated steering wheel and sunroof. Her name is Jean Grey.
    2007 X-Type 2.2 diesel, grey with black half leather interior. Climate and cruise control. Her name is Grace.
    2001 X-Type 2.5 petrol, black with dove full leather and climate control. Her name is Anastasia

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Revere View Post
    I'm hoping there may be some temporary fix at least until I can get the proper job done.
    One option is Chipex which has a blending solution to help level the repair

https://www.chipex.co.uk/touch-up-paint/jaguar/

XF SV8 A - USB 2 - Bowers & Wilkins 440W - Parking Aid Pack with Rear Camera - Computer Active Technology Suspension - Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - 20" Volans - Headlamp Powerwash - Rain Sensitive Wipers - Xenon Headlights - Heated Windscreen - Intrusion Sensing - Navigation with Dynamic Route Guidance and Traffic Information System - Adaptive Cruise Control - Forward Alert - Memory Function - Blind Spot Monitor - Bluetooth Connectivity - Automatic Headlamp Leveling - JaguarVoice

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Santer says, Chipex is good for small defects, there are also aerosols available to match your colour by supplying the paint code, here is a link to one company for you; https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk/...aint-aerosols/
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a look at chipex. Looks pretty credible and the reviews are good. Used with care it looks like it should give similar results to the chips away boys for a fraction of the price. I've ordered a pack for mine!
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the system I use, https://www.drcolourchip.co.uk/ very similar to the chipex system. One thing to remember, if the chip has only taken the clearcoat off then simply fill the chip with lacquer and then rub back with 2000 grit wet and dry.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best thing I did was get clear wrap put on the front end, you cannot see it and the car stays stone chip free. If I sell the car I can leave it on or remove it leaving a as new finish underneath. Of course not much help if the damage is already done, but touching up bits doesn't give the best results. I think I would rather prep and spray a larger area or get it done by a Pro if not confident to do it.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!
    I think I'll try to use one of the solutions and see what the result is. It can't really be worse than blank spots...
    One more question for the experts please!
    How do I deal with the scratches on the centre console (I think it's on the plastic bit)?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.jpg 
Size:	539.1 KB 
ID:	28459

Is the paint code on the inside of the passenger door?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    These say driver

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/pa...des/jaguar.htm

http://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/acatalog...our-codes.html

Was going to link to drcolourchips because it looks the simplest but the video on youtube wasn't impressive

Is the console marking on the bits above the parking brake and dsc button, if so, would guess it would need to be replaced
    XF SV8 A - USB 2 - Bowers & Wilkins 440W - Parking Aid Pack with Rear Camera - Computer Active Technology Suspension - Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - 20" Volans - Headlamp Powerwash - Rain Sensitive Wipers - Xenon Headlights - Heated Windscreen - Intrusion Sensing - Navigation with Dynamic Route Guidance and Traffic Information System - Adaptive Cruise Control - Forward Alert - Memory Function - Blind Spot Monitor - Bluetooth Connectivity - Automatic Headlamp Leveling - JaguarVoice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast