Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2001 Air Con issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    If your compressor is engaging there's enough pressure but it seems your refrigerant is ineffective for some reason.
    My 2.5 compressor would engage with very little pressure in the system, certainly not enough for the air con to work, it was only when the system was completely emptied for me to replace some of the seals that were showing signs of leakage, that it wouldn't engage. I wouldn't take the compressor engaging as any indication of anything other than the fact the clutch works.

Regards, OW
    1999 S Type 3.0L SE, A truly lovely old girl that's served me well. Probably the best car I've had. Now retired.
    02.5MY (X202) S Type 2.5L SE, 58,000 miles, full Jag s/h, all papers, MOT's, receipts etc from new when purchased.
    2006 X type SE 2.2 Diesel. Supposed to be Mrs O's economical commuter car.
    2004 (X202) 2.5L Sport plus, to replace the 3.0L

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been out and measured various AC Continent's temperatures before starting the car and then after 5 minutes of running. The compressor to condenser side definitely gets hot, from 17 degrees to over 30 quite quickly. The condenser gets warmer and the receiver dryer definitely gets cooler.

I also ran a few flap resets to try and free things up a bit.

I think from here, I need to rule out the refrigerant being the issue, so have booked it into a Halfords Autocentre as recommended by Jim. £29.50 to check the system, drain and test for leaks with Nitrogen. If no major leaks are detected, which I doubt there are considering the pressure still in the system, there is an additional £30 charge to refill with fresh refrigerant and oil.

At least I can then rule this out, even if not the issue. Going by the lack of use over recent years, I wouldn't be surprised if the system hasn't been topped up for almost 10 years, so it's definitely worth a shot.

Once I sort this out, the car will be completely fault free. I can then move on to the replacement key and fob project and report back the results for the sticky. I found a post where someone had programmed a more modern 4 button folding keyfob and transponder to a pre 2002 car, so might give this a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the one and a half hours waiting at Halfords Autocentre was worth it. The old refrigerant was drained, the system filled with Nitrogen and leak tested, then new refrigerant put in.

I now have ice cold Air Con an fully working climate control!

On to the next project now, getting a spare key cut and coding a new spare remote central locking fob and transponder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuspd View Post
    Well, the one and a half hours waiting at Halfords Autocentre was worth it. The old refrigerant was drained, the system filled with Nitrogen and leak tested, then new refrigerant put in.

I now have ice cold Air Con an fully working climate control!
    Glad you've got it sorted, I had a strong suspicion a re-gas would have the desired effect, given that you only had 35 psi on the high pressure side

On to the next project now, getting a spare key cut and coding a new spare remote central locking fob and transponder
    I found a post where someone had programmed a more modern 4 button folding keyfob and transponder to a pre 2002 car, so might give this a shot.
    When I tried to code a later folding type 4 button key to my 99 3.0l, the car &/or IDS wouldn't recognise it. I was later told by a locksmith who supplies such things that apparently the transponder chips are different between the early X200 & later X202 on cars. He also said something about 6 cut & 8 cut blanks. It is possible to swap the chips from the early key into the folding key, but you have to break the folding key open to remove the old chip & replace it with the correct type, then glue it all back together while holding all the springs etc in place. I don't know why the remote part wouldn't work, as I think it does run the same frequency as the earlier separate type remotes. When I couldn't get the key to function without a lot of messing about, I didn't pursue the remote any further. I can't find the supplier of my spare keys now, he seems to not be trading any more, but I did find this,https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-JAGU....c100009.m1982, which may of interest, it's not too bad a price considering you're getting the remote, a blank key & the correct chip.

Regards, OW
    1999 S Type 3.0L SE, A truly lovely old girl that's served me well. Probably the best car I've had. Now retired.
    02.5MY (X202) S Type 2.5L SE, 58,000 miles, full Jag s/h, all papers, MOT's, receipts etc from new when purchased.

5. Thanks Marcuspd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Marcus, glad it's all coming together finally.

7. Likes Marcuspd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Orsom, I've ordered the refurb fob and blank key/transponder chip.

I've also ordered a blank key to be cut to a couple of photo's for under a tenner delivered, so will just put the transponder chip in the cut one.
    I'll use the blank in the future to get cut to replace the original key when it wears too much.

I'll report back once I've programmed them to the car. I've found the par of IDS v130 to do this. Sounds like I need to delete the original transponder and fob and program them both from scratch, as I only have one programmed key at present.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Orsom, I've ordered the refurb fob and blank key/transponder chip.

I've also ordered a blank key to be cut to a couple of photo's for under a tenner delivered, so will just put the transponder chip in the cut one.
    I'll use the blank in the future to get cut to replace the original key when it wears too much.

I'll report back once I've programmed them to the car. I've found the par of IDS v130 to do this. Sounds like I need to delete the original transponder and fob and program them both from scratch, as I only have one programmed key at present.
    Do the remotes first, it's much the same process as the key transponders except you just have to press any button on each remote when prompted instead of inserting each key in the ignition. It will give you an idea of what to expect & if things did go wrong, (I'm sure they won't as long as your software & Mongoose is good) at least the key you have will still work to start the car.
    Once you have the new key cut from the photo's, they should be able to give you your key number which you can use for future cuts.

Regards, OW

Post Thanks / Like
    It'll always give people the heebie-jeebies when they have to risk their last key!

That's Human nature.

Until they know it's really not going to lock it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12