Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gearbox doesn't like towns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    I'm with you regarding the X351 , love the front but not the back end.

Having said that , I would soon get used to an XJR575 if it was dumped on my doorstep FOC

Agree regarding the ride too , I love mine and never tire of travelling in her for long periods.

I do like wafting around , but also like a heavyish foot to hold around 3500rpm in each gear

No need for sport mode , power and progress is more than adequate as it states in a Bentley hand book.
    Yeah, I like that 'power and progress'.

I'm not a fast driver though, to be honest - and I've never used sport mode. I did enjoy giving it some boot yesterday though.

To me, making rapid progress in luxury surroundings is one of life's finer things. Especially when you're thundering by bland Euro boxes and ubiquitous SUVs, which no doubt cost several times the value of our cars. Or else their 'owners' are effectively paying a second mortgage every month on some PCP deal just so as their neighbours can see they've driving a new car.
    Jaguar XJ 350 TDVi Sovereign SWB, indigo blue, cream leather, 20" Sepangs

2. Likes fat controller, Nimiq1, FastEddie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm this is interesting as I've just come on here to post something similar. I had the gearbox oil and filter changed yesterday, not due to any real issues apart from when kicking down the change was more of a thump than I would expect, but because I don't have any previous history for the car so wanted to get all serviceable items well serviced.
    The only discernable difference on the way home was it was happier to change down a gear on a lighter throttle than before. However this morning it was very reluctant to change down and at one stage I realised it was pulling away in second, at first I thought it could be the cold but after an hours commute it was still not right. Manual changes were fine, but even in sport it was hanging on to gears right down to 1000revs.
    I will speak to the garage and see if they have any suggestions but will mention the points mentioned in this thread and report back with the outcome.
    '07 Sovereign X358 in Black with 20" wheels and cream interior. Couldn't resist the glorious V8 although a diesel would have made more sense
    Bought in Oct '18 as an everyday car needing a bit of TLC which it will get over the next few months.

High days and holidays car is a TVR Tuscan which has had a recent chassis off refurb and rebuild and now drives better than ever with new bushes and springs throughout and rebuilt power steering, diff, gearbox and shocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post
    they definitely get better with use.

Mine had similarly few regular miles just before I bought it and in the period I've owned it, it has had LOTS of stuff changed.

Just at the moment, its doing more miles (but still not what I'd call lots) - maybe 4000 a month, and the reliability has never been better
    4000miles month! that i would say is on the high side of high
    2003 X350 3.5SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scrubber View Post
    4000miles month! that i would say is on the high side of high
    My record is 180,000 in a year. Closer to what I'd call "lots"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonP View Post
    Hmmm this is interesting as I've just come on here to post something similar. I had the gearbox oil and filter changed yesterday, not due to any real issues apart from when kicking down the change was more of a thump than I would expect, but because I don't have any previous history for the car so wanted to get all serviceable items well serviced.
    The only discernable difference on the way home was it was happier to change down a gear on a lighter throttle than before. However this morning it was very reluctant to change down and at one stage I realised it was pulling away in second, at first I thought it could be the cold but after an hours commute it was still not right. Manual changes were fine, but even in sport it was hanging on to gears right down to 1000revs.
    I will speak to the garage and see if they have any suggestions but will mention the points mentioned in this thread and report back with the outcome.

Well touch wood a reflash of the gearbox seems to have sorted the poor change. There were a few times over the weekend where I was cruising along at 40 with over 3k revs but when the box warmed up it behaved a lot better. The issue of not changing down when at or below 1k revs cropped up a couple of times but again seems to happen less. I was told the ECU needs to relearn the adaptives (I thought these would be hard coded and reliant on throttle position/speed/temperature/load etc but I suppose driving style could be a factor?)
    It was suggested having the rear wheels rotating whilst the fronts are stationary can apparently confuse the ECU.
    Time will tell but hope this may help others who have had a gearbox flush.
    '07 Sovereign X358 in Black with 20" wheels and cream interior. Couldn't resist the glorious V8 although a diesel would have made more sense
    Bought in Oct '18 as an everyday car needing a bit of TLC which it will get over the next few months.

High days and holidays car is a TVR Tuscan which has had a recent chassis off refurb and rebuild and now drives better than ever with new bushes and springs throughout and rebuilt power steering, diff, gearbox and shocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last weekend I drove from Cambridge to Cardiff, picked up another car and had someone follow me in my car all the way back to Edinburgh. The total drive distance 617 miles. I jumped out of my 15 year old XJ into a Scirocco that had only covered 6.5k miles in its life. To be honest the VW was nice and tight on the road but no tighter than the XJ.

The car didn't put a foot or a gearchange wrong in some very diverse driving conditions and my other driver could not believe how much quality was available for so little with my car.

Very pleased with how the gearbox attention has sorted the car.

Stewart
    2003 XJ6
    2002 Lexus LS430
    A small collection of Saabs

At my happiest playing with hammers and spanners.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123