Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic Speedo and sensor

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roger, I am using the original Jaguar sensor, I had a short cable made to fit between box and sensor (I used Speedy Cables - lovely cable but very slow!). Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    I am confused. The sensor has to be fitted to the gearbox where it makes and breaks the circuit via a magnet on the end of the sensor. Are you saying you have made up a cable from the toyota sensor to the jag sensor in which case it will not work.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger, we are talking about different types here. Perhaps I have misled you by calling git a sensor, the part is listed as a transducer DAC4570. This connects to a mechanical output from the gearbox via a square drive, but still has 2 cables out, yellow and brown.
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it. It is the same as the old Rover 827 that I had a few years ago. Have you checked the drive in the gearbox as they have a crown wheel which I have known to strip.
    You can check the output of those transducers by using a variable speed electric drill.
    I am still confused, why the cables from the box (assuming you mean the gearbox)to the transducer. The transducer just replaced the old speedo cable to an electronic sender unit.

Roger
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking

Post Thanks / Like
    Have been using electric drill. The cable from the gearbox is acts as a mechanical adapter between the thread and dog drive on the Toyota box to the different thread and square drive on the Jaguar Transducer. Beyond establishing if the wiring issue of yellow to speedometer and brown to live is correct, I suppose the nub of my question is if the earlier type Jaguar transducer is producing a signal, is there any other interface or sensor between it and the speedometer which if missing would prevent either of my two speedos working?
    Have now written to Speedy Cables to see if they can handle repairs, I can't find anyone else - Speedograph only handle mechanical and everyone else seems to do clusters.
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive me Andrew. I have just realized that the cable in question is a drive adapter not an electric cable From diagrams that I have green goes to live at the speedo and yellow is the pulse wire at the speedo. So perhaps the Brown you have is a discoloured green or the diagrams are incorrect.. There are no other units between the transducer and the speedo other than the speedo earth. In this instance I would say either the transducers are knackered or the speedo. to check the transducer, put power to the Brown and connect a multimeter to the yellow. Voltage should be 0v. Spin the transducer and you should get a variance of voltage proving the transducer is operational. I would assume that if you were to just tap a live to the yellow the speedo would jump to max proving the speedo. The other thing I can think of is the speedo needle stuck. I have known them to go passed max and not return.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Just rechecked online for wiring diagrams on series 3 and the brown (non yellow) is definitely live. As I mentioned before I think it unlikely that both of the new transducers - although I can't detect a signal - are faulty so suspect the speedometers. Have just been onto SNG Barratt's website to check any parts I could be missing to discover they are selling new speedometers for £65! with all due respect to the old adage (if it looks to good to be true....etc.) I crossed checked the part number and ordered rapidly before any mistakes were recognised. Will report back when part arrives!
    Meanwhile if anyone has questions pertaining to the fuel injected V12 engine, conversion to manual, modification of vacuum system, making a new injection wiring loom, design and construction of tubular barrel manifolds for restricted space, stripping the engine, etc, etc please ask - I have the grey hairs and scars to prove experience!
    Andrew

8. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious. I would have thought that the DAC 4570 was a variable reluctance device.

There'd be two tests of the sensor - continuity and output.

Here's a short tutorial for testing a variable reluctance sensor which is pretty common on transmissions and wheel speed sensors for ABS. IIRC the video show only testing the output, but you should be able to check the continuity of the coil with a simple resistance test with a meter across the leads of the DAC4570

My speedometer in my XJ6 uses the DAC4570 transducer in the BW transmission and is on the fritz. No conductivity and no output either. I'm about to head to a local wrecking yard to see if I can find a good one.

Hope I'm not all wet here and you find this helpful

10. Likes rchiv liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12