Thread: Fuel Sender

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Sender

Hello ! I have a 1984 XJS HE and a problem with the fuel gauge....
    I have had the sender out of the tank and when I move the float up and down, the gauge on the dash and the fuel warning light work fine with the garage in the dash more or less representing the amount I have moved the level on the sender. However, when I put everything back together, the gauge shows empty and light is on. There was over 20l of fuel in it the first time ( I know because this is how much I syphoned out to get the level below the sender and I put it all back in !), and I have just been to the garage and added another 20l (just in case the 20 wasn't enough to make a difference!) - the garage hasn't moved. I checked the float when it was out and it does indeed float... Any bright ideas ? Are the baffles in the tank known to move / break and could be fowling the sender ? It looked like the float was able to move when I put it in, but it is kind of hard to be sure.....I'd appreciate any thoughts as I'd rather only drain petrol one more time ! Thanks in advance, Ian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    If with the sender out and you move the float it works then the only thing I can think of is that you have put the unit back in upside down so the float cannot rise.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rchiv View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    If with the sender out and you move the float it works then the only thing I can think of is that you have put the unit back in upside down so the float cannot rise.

Roger
    wouldn't that make it show full?
    I would suggest that the float isn't floating if everything checks out like wiring rounds the wrong way
    Last edited by spud; 01-10-18 at 21:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Roger - you made me panic that I had it in upside down - but thankfully not ! Turns out the coat hanger type wire on the sender just wasn't the right "shape" to float in my tank - it was fowling on something, not sure if it was the wrong part or a non standard tank - anyway I have bent the coat hanger bit and it now works - the calibration is probably off, but it will do ! Ian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by browni View Post
    Thanks Roger - you made me panic that I had it in upside down - but thankfully not ! Turns out the coat hanger type wire on the sender just wasn't the right "shape" to float in my tank - it was fowling on something, not sure if it was the wrong part or a non standard tank - anyway I have bent the coat hanger bit and it now works - the calibration is probably off, but it will do ! Ian.
    Well done Ian. Had to be something simple.

Roger
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    wouldn't that make it show full?
    I would suggest that the float isn't flouting if everything checks out like wiring round the wrong way
    If the float was held down, ie not floating, then the gauge would show empty. It has to float to record a level.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't mention it Browni.
    Quote Originally Posted by rchiv View Post
    If the float was held down, ie not floating, then the gauge would show empty. It has to float to record a level.

Roger
    Not on an xjs it cant be fitted upside down and
    if it could,on an empty tank, it would show full and full tank would show empty
    Because its upside down. Think about it. Lol
    Last edited by spud; 29-09-18 at 21:33.

8. Thanks rex647 thanked for this post
    Likes rex647, Grubby mits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As usual spud, your right of course. Look and learn