Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: C16 RKC's Daimler Super V8 project thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right Andy. Early indication suggest the repair costs are over £10K....
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB (Currently awaiting verdict after accident)
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Project car/Temporary work horse!)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's)

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah jag parts are expensive. e.g bonnets. etc.

Can be done with 2nd hand items.
    But will you really be happy with the drive afterwards....
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

3. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wohh, that's a bummer, sorry to read this.
    Wondering how you will like the x308 after a while as a daily driver, compared to the x358.
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3L Convertible
    1998 Jaguar XJ8 4L Vanden Plas

5. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A small bit of progress this week!!!

The Daimler is now at the garage, for a full service. I have also asked for it to be put up on the ramps and checked all over. They are then going to give me their thoughts on the car and any advise on the state of things.

In addition, they are going to look into the engine 'Chirp' for me. This is a known issue for these Jaguars and Jaguar themselves released a TSB back in 2003 (on an "if the customer complains" basis). Some info is here if anyone is interested:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rp-cold-65777/

What happens is the accessory belt squeeks, or "chirps" once a rotation when the car is idling. A new belt cures the issue, but it then comes back in the winter. I've had this issue on every X308 I have owned; though this is the first I have heard of the cure!

Looking forward to hearing from the garage later.... not looking forward to the bill!!
    Regards
    Chris Clark

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

7. Likes Andy K liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Onwards n upwards Chris...…

A wee bit of TLC for the Daimler can't be a bad thing, hope the bill is on the right side of what you expect lol

It's a real shame you won't have the time / luxury of getting her the way you want her at your leisure, it really is. It's always more difficult trying to achieve that with a daily driver

Hope all goes well
    Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    It's a real shame you won't have the time / luxury of getting her the way you want her at your leisure, it really is. It's always more difficult trying to achieve that with a daily driver
    Thanks Jim, I actually have had a bit of luck there, as a little courtesy car unexpectedly turned up on Tuesday afternoon!

So I've been using that the last 2 days, and therefore took the opportunity to get the Daimler straight to the garage; something I should have done a month ago!!

I'm thinking of buying another run-around while the Daimler is sorted, and indeed I most likely will not make the Daimler the permanent daily driver. Alec and Henry have kind of put me off that idea, as they say it will not convert to LPG very well. It's too thirsty for a Daily as it is, because I do 25,000 miles per year. I bought an X-type a few years ago, while my Merc was being sorted, although I did not find the X-type was really my thing, and sold it on pretty fast, it made a nice stop-gap and was much better than a Nissan Micra! I might do something similar again while things get sorted. Oddly, the insurance company have not spoken to me since Friday, so I have no idea what is going on in the background?

Assuming they write it off.... what I get to replace the X358 is still a bit of a riddle for me, I just can't find anything else that suits me as well. I think I'm too fussy!!
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a Jag S type. (non sport suspension)
    Bit nicer than an X.

Could even get an early 2005 S diesel 2.7 and have a spare engine for the wifes RRS when your done.
    These have good performance and economy.
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue

11. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice suggestion Andy; the S-type is a nice car. I've driven them and I love the sound of the 3.0 litre V6, it has a real growl! As a temporary car, that would be spot on, but I don't think I'd want one as a permanent main car. It's not really my thing.

I think the problem is I've been spoilt in the past. I started with an XJ40 Sovereign 4.0 litre when I was 21 as my daily, then worked through similar XJ40 and X308 models, leading to a Daimler V8... then a Jaguar Super V8. These were top of the line cars and they really made the problems of work melt away on the drive home. They also made every trip out an occasion, rather than just another day.

When we bought the house I had to sell the Super V8, and if I am honest I have been trying to get back to the 'magic' feeling that the Super V8, and the Daimler gave me, ever since. I suppose it's not surprising the Mercedes did not measure up, and likewise I have found the X358 Diesel models are close, but a little bit tame by old standards. I know it sounds silly, but in comparison models like the X-type and S-type feel a bit plain for me... The next logical step would be an X351, but they are in my opinion a totally different animal, and I know I would never be happy with one (particularly after shelling out the huge price tag of one). I hear what I am typing in my head and I sound like a spoilt child....

The Daimler Super V8 really does bring it all flooding back; it's a real special car with that classic Jaguar feel, combined with some additional Daimler prestige. When I look over my shoulder and see those stitched monogramed head-rests it really makes me smile. That's why I thought I had the answer with converting the Daimler to LPG, as it would not have cost me too much, I would lose the bills of having a second car on the drive, and I would have something truly special to commute in. But as I was recently told the Jag V8s are not the best for LPG conversions, that has turned out not to be a good idea after all.

I have a decision to make really, do I lower my expectations and buy something simpler as a daily; then spend serious money into the Daimler for use as my 'Weekend car'. Or... do I leave the Daimler ticking over in the background as a project, and buy something more expensive as my daily driver.... but then what?

1st world problems!... if the "18 year old me" could see what I was complaining about, he would slap me across the nose!
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

13. Likes davidcumbria liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was only suggesting an S type as a temporary car !!! Much nicer drive than an X.

I had an S 2.5 Sport as a loan car. God the suspension was uncomfortable. Hopefully non sport suspension should be ok.

The 2.7 diesels give great MPG at 50 MPH, powerfull, smooth. I don't rate the reliability. But as a temporary disposable car worth a go. Just note the glowplugs as per wifes RRS.
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue

15. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you should look at an XF has an everyday car. See if they meet our standards

or a Project8. Apparently everyone should have one! £££££££
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue

17. Likes C16RKC liked this post
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast