Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: C16 RKC's Daimler Super V8 project thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I was only suggesting an S type as a temporary car !!! Much nicer drive than an X.
    ...ah... erm... well that kind of makes my droning response look a little silly then...

erm... hmmm...
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB (Currently awaiting verdict after accident)
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Project car/Temporary work horse!)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's)

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I had word from the garage yesterday, on how the Daimler's service and check went.

The car has been given a clean bill of health. It badly needed a service I am told (oil was very dirty), but they found nothing alarming and said the car is mechanically sound. It needed a few suspension bushes, and the supercharger belt is being changed as a precaution. I did not think of it until writing this, but I should have asked them to change the actual supercharger oil; perhaps that's something for the near future.

I cannot pick it up yet, as they are waiting for the belts to arrive, but I am hoping to collect it Saturday or Monday.

Then..... hopefully.... I can finally get some bodyshop quotes.... which are proving very difficult to obtain!
    Regards
    Chris Clark

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

3. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Short reply,

If they are waiting for the belts, get them to change the S/C oil, then forget about it.

Plan on doing mine this coming year.
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

5. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you want something practical for high mileage daily use but a special jag too. Using say a diesel 358 everyday reduces its sense of occasion. Restoring the Daimler likely to be very expensive and you may still have recurring problems or hard to solve cosmetic issues that dent the special feeling. How about getting a really nice already 350 superv8 XJR Daimler etc for weekends and a fairly budget German mile muncher for weekdays. You could still sneak in some weekday jag trips in a reliable car. Gets you to where you want to be quicker and without the possible heartache of time and ££££££ good money after bad. The real value is in fully depreciated but still excellent cars out there
    2004 Jaguar XJ8 SE Pacific Blue /Ivory
    previous jags
    2010 Jaguar XK 5.0 Portfolio
    2005 Jaguar XJ 3.0 Sovereign

VW T 5 camper van
    1976 Suzuki GT750, 1986 Suzuki RG500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Pan Euro, BMW R1100GS, 1998 Yamaha R1

Making the most of internal combustion before we are both put out to pasture.

7. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris,

The Daimler needs to be the car for 'The Occasion'

Now this could be, a drive just for the hell of it, trips out to meet the likes of Alec, Jimbo, Jim, Simon, etc, etc and I

This said,

The X358 payout allows you cash to get the Daimler just right and enjoy it as you do it.

Once done, then the I've gotta have the waft in my life is sorted, so the need for the same as a daily driver recedes.

But you still want something with a bit of character, pazazz, fun and if possible, economy.

Then check out a 2013 to 2017 MY Suzuki Swift Sport.

They really are as good as the motoring press said at launch, handles like it's on rails and goes like stink.

I've had 3 Swifts, a 1st gen 1.3 traded to a 1st gen Sport, great fun but lacked the 6th gear.

It was a 2nd gen Sport bought new on a 63 plate that I traded for the Super V8, only because I crave BIG cars and tire of smaller ones.

If it wasn't for SWMBO's requirement we had something with 7 seats as a daily, I'd have another in a heartbeat.

They look particularly cool in white, red or blue and have twin exhausts, positioned in the same place we are used to with our Wafters.

Take a look

A private sale would get you a cheaper one.

Rich

PS, don't forget, I found Jim's XJ for him and set Jimbo off after his XKR, so be careful
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

9. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are eventually going to end up in an X351 mollusc attractor, so just stop faffing around and go straight there. Just make sure that Rich finds you one without a squeaky roof. And check that it has a space saver.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

11. Likes Ashanti, #steve, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally i'd be happy to commute in anything if i knew i had a Daimler waiting for me at home ready for the weekend

As for LPG as i said the Jag V8s hate it and also as said above the SV8 should be for those special drives
    Radiance Red Jaguar S type 3.0 - Retired.
    Monte Carlo Blue Range Rover 4.6 Vogue - Retired.

13. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good news this weekend!

Saturday morning, I had two new bodyshops to try. This time both were small independants. They were Pride and Joy in Wisbech (only 10mins from my house) and the Lutton Body shop in Lutton, near Sutton bridge.

I called both Friday afternoon, but could only get hold of Pride and Joy. The owner, Dave, said pop along in the morning and he would give me a quote. I was there at 08:30am sharp, when they opened Saturday morning, and met Dave and one of his lads, Calumn. They took a look over the car and we had a good chat. He was very pleasant to talk to, and gave me lots of confidence. He seemed to know exactly how he'd tackle everything and gave me what I considered was a very reasonable quote. He had another Jaguar X308 in the spray booth, was well as an American muscle car having a bare metal restoration, and an American stretch limousine!

Although Dave definitely seemed the guy for the job, I'm a fan of always getting at least 2 quotes, and this was my first successful one. So I decided to try the Lutton body shop too. It was just before 9am when I was finished, and I had looked on the internet and saw it opened at 9am, so I decided it was too early to call, but I would instead risk it and take a ride down there. It would be around 9:15am when I arrived; just right.

When I arrived I was surprised to see it was actually a small bungalow with sheds in the back and cars everywhere. They looked busy; though I must admit it did look a bit of a mess. It looked a little quiet, so I decided to give it a call.

A man simply answered "Hello", so I said "Is this the Lutton body shop?". He barked back "We're closed", so I apologised and said when were they open. He simply repeated "We're closed today" in a rather unamused voice, and added "We open Monday". Either he was taking the day off, or the opening times are wrong on the website. Either way I did not enjoy our brief conversation, and together with the messy yard I saw it did not fill me with confidence...

So I have no intention of having a quote from them...! I have no tolerance for rude idiots. If you don't want calls on a Saturday morning, don't advertise you are open on a Saturday, and don't use your home landline for business!

So Dave at Pride and Joy it is. I booked it in later that afternoon, and Dave has already taken the car tonight so he can start looking at it in the morning and make sure he knows what he is doing. Do you know what, one of his lads even opened the place up on a Sunday evening just so I could drop the car off and hand the keys over safely. Lets hope their work matches the pleasantries!

So I finally have my body shop sorted!!

The work will actually take place in January, so come February I should have a decent looking car.

Only bad things to report:

- The drivers side tyre has had a slow puncture, and I decided to top it up. Afterwards I could hear air hissing out... so I suspect there is a problem with the valve. I had to change over to the spare pretty quick.

- After the tyre was changed, a 'Suspension fault' light came on. This might just be because I jacked the car up, we shall see.

Thanks for reading!
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashanti View Post
    Chris,

The Daimler needs to be the car for 'The Occasion'

Now this could be, a drive just for the hell of it, trips out to meet the likes of Alec, Jimbo, Jim, Simon, etc, etc and I
    I think you are right Rich,

I'm not going to make any snap decisions, but I think I will probably just use what money I have to tidy up the Daimler to a reasonable standard; then use the money I get from the insurance for a replacement for the X358. Still not sure what I'll get though.

I'm pretty sure it won't be an X351 (Chris T) as they are just too much money for a car my hearts not really into, and I can't see myself in a Suzuki swift (Sorry Rich)… but I'll find something I'm sure. I think Henry and Alec have successfully put me off LPG now, I've mulled it over and I think it's just not worth the risk.

As my good wife pointed out, its actually pretty handy having a spare car too.
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

16. Likes mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news re bodyshop Chris, can't wait to see her with gleaming bodywork! I know from my previous experence it is tricky to find someone who cares about their work, sounds like you hopefully have found the right please.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear
    BMW 650i LCI Facelift, Convertible, Black Saphire with Cream/Black interior
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

18. Likes C16RKC liked this post
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast