Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: C16 RKC's Daimler Super V8 project thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on Jim's frequent recommendations, I've been using Sonax for a while now.
    Latest wheel clean was the Merc.
    Just sprayed it on, wait 5 minutes 'till the wheel was bleeding, then a gentle rub off with lots of water.
    First pic is just before the rinse, second is during the rinse, with a couple of spokes/segments to go.

The Jag's wheels don't get dirty enough for the Sonax to show its effect
    2003 Super V8 SWB

2. Thanks C16RKC thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah I'd expect a wealthy Super V8 owner to be using Sonax Simon.... you've obviously been influenced by that Laird of the highlands JimC64. Did you know the 64 in his user name is the number of Scottish castles he has?
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB (Work horse)
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Project car)

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

4. Likes Jimbov8, Super350, JimC64, coling, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, i'm just treating the car as I would myself. A litre or two of the good stuff makes everything seem better!
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of your Super V8 - sure it'll be most impressive. As others have said, I have no clue where you'll find the time!
    All the best
    S
    2003 Super V8 SWB

6. Likes fat controller, C16RKC, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re: tape on hub caps...maybe a crude anti-theft device? I was going to add that, having had to replace 2 hub caps, I now put mine in the boot if parking in unfamiliar territory. They're (from memory) £70+ each!

8. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it might well be sir - I cannot think of any other reason, I think you take the prize!

I have found them brand new on Ebay for £45 each, but they might not be a permanent offer. Not looking forward to purchasing the 4th one that is currently from a Jaguar instead of a Daimler. It might well stay 'incorrect' for the foreseeable while I proceed with other priorities....
    Regards
    Chris Clark

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    or they didn't want to risk them falling off.
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

11. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know Andy, when I first saw the tape, I assumed the plastic 'ears' that hold the wheel trims in place, might be broken. I assumed the tape was the only thing holding them on, and I would have to replace all four. It was a real pleasure to find that they were undamaged!

Last week I messaged the last garage to service the car in Wales, and the previous owner in Wales too (contact details were in the history). I was hoping they could tell me a bit about the car, and fill in a 20K miles 'blank' in the service history. But I've not heard from either yet, it occurs to me that the previous owner might even be deceased.

Oddly I also cannot get a response from Peter who I purchased the car from either; on Phone or E-mail. He was not a particularly well man when I met him, so I am hoping he is OK...? of course I do not want to be a pest so I'll leave it, unless he gets in touch. When I collected the car, he expressed an interest in seeing the car restored. He was such a lovely man I kind of feel obliged to make sure I send him photos when the real work starts. I did not bother him with the cleaning photos, I just hope he did not see them on here and find it a little insulting...?

It has occurred to me that Peter might be the one who applied all that tape, foam... and dog hair... so he might have felt it a bit insulting to see me peeling it all off and deep cleaning the car....! Ooops...
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post
    You know Andy, when I first saw the tape, I assumed the plastic 'ears' that hold the wheel trims in place, might be broken. I assumed the tape was the only thing holding them on, and I would have to replace all four. It was a real pleasure to find that they were undamaged!

Last week I messaged the last garage to service the car in Wales, and the previous owner in Wales too (contact details were in the history). I was hoping they could tell me a bit about the car, and fill in a 20K miles 'blank' in the service history. But I've not heard from either yet, it occurs to me that the previous owner might even be deceased.

Oddly I also cannot get a response from Peter who I purchased the car from either; on Phone or E-mail. He was not a particularly well man when I met him, so I am hoping he is OK...? of course I do not want to be a pest so I'll leave it, unless he gets in touch. When I collected the car, he expressed an interest in seeing the car restored. He was such a lovely man I kind of feel obliged to make sure I send him photos when the real work starts. I did not bother him with the cleaning photos, I just hope he did not see them on here and find it a little insulting...?

It has occurred to me that Peter might be the one who applied all that tape, foam... and dog hair... so he might have felt it a bit insulting to see me peeling it all off and deep cleaning the car....! Ooops...

Hmmm, been there and done that Chris, when we bought Connor's X type, now Mrs C's car.

The guy that owned it had kept t lovely, really decent shape. I'd told him I'd been involved with Jaguar for a few years and all about the forum etc etc and so he'd asked me repeatedly to keep in touch and let him know about the car.
    As promised I did and sent him detailed updates incl pictures of the deep clean, wheels off and cleaned whilst hubs / calipers being sorted, badges removed and added, windows tinted, brakes done, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter and engine oil / filter change, brake fluid and coolant changed. The interior deep clean on the leather, new carpet mats, wind deflectors added, new number plates etc etc etc alog with costs and man hours

Still unsure if he was confused / dumbfounded or just didn't know what to make of it, I think the thought it was just being taken to Scotland, washed and driven lol

Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

14. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heard from Peter last night, which was great. As I suspected he had not been well, so I was incredibly grateful he took the time to write to me.

Was great to hear from him, and he had some great advice on the car, and the things I want to do, he certainly seems to be missing the car....!
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

16. Likes JimC64, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post
    Heard from Peter last night, which was great. As I suspected he had not been well, so I was incredibly grateful he took the time to write to me.

Was great to hear from him, and he had some great advice on the car, and the things I want to do, he certainly seems to be missing the car....!
    Yes, yes, yes this is all very well but what about the tape, man: what about the tape? Enquiring minds need to know!
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

18. Likes C16RKC liked this post
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast