Thread: stall

Post Thanks / Like

stall

Good morning everyone,

I have an 87 Jag XJS which I have driven for 20yrs. This year, when I started the car, it idled fine but after 35mins it just stopped cold and wouldn't start. The next day it started fine, but after 35 mins it stopped. I did the following: drained both fuel tanks and refilled adding dry gas and fuel injector cleaner, replaced the fuel filter replaced the battery, replace d the air filter. After 35 mins, it stopped You could almost set your watch by the 35mins). Apparently it's not the fuel.

Has anyone ever experienced this before. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this??

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bob, welcome to the forum.
    Please update your signature via the link below for future reference.
    I would say that something is getting warm and breaking a circuit. Could be a Relay, a fuse, or a wire or coil. When it all cools down the circuit returns until the next time.
    Where to start. When it occurs do all ignition lights illuminate before you come to a halt. Does it feel like its running out of fuel or does it just all close down.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect the ignition coils, both.
    XJ 12V 1986 Daimler serie 3 gun metal gray.
    ex Daimler 1998 super V8 LWB

Saab 9/5 estate Hirsch 1
    Saab 93 SS Hirsch 1
    Saab 900 classic cabrio

Triumph Trophy SE
    Dnjepr side car (kind of project)