Thread: Looking for a correct specced car

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a correct specced car

As the owner of an old 420 (12 years) and a 3.0 X-type estate (2 years), I found the ride comfort of the X-type always a bit too firm compared to very supple ride of the 420. Which disappointed me a little, especially as I had chosen the X-type to be the Executive variant and not the Sport which supposedly has a firmer ride.
    In many ways the X-type estate is perfect - not too big, the AWD is great for the ski trip once per year, excellent luggage hauler, fast, all the bells and whistles (my car has it all). I have handled the superficial rust on the sills and made sure the car is tip top. But still, it is not a very good looker - and the comfort ...

A few weeks ago I had a go in a 3.2 V8 Executive. What a great experience! The comfort is all there. Also, I have always liked the looks of an old XJ - until the X350 which sits a bit too high in my opinion (and I have read the comfort is less).
    So, the search is for a very good X308. But what type?
    I have grown quite fond of the luxury of my X-type: heated front screen, heated seats, rear AND front parking sensors, side mirrors which extract electrically. As the X308 is a little older than my generation X-type (it is a Mk2 from 2004), maybe some of these virtues will not be there on the X308. Which leaves the question what type of X308 has the following:
    - rear PDC (I presume front PDC was never an option?)
    - heated front windscreen (was this an option?)
    - heated seats
    - automatic wipers (rain sensor)
    - automatic lamps
    - automatic dimmed interior mirror (and outside if possible)
    - SWB as I do not like the looks of the LWB (and I do not need it)
    - comfort type of suspension (no Sport or R)
    - chrome window surrounds

What was standard on what type and what was an option? Does a Sovereign has all this? Later cars have more? What about the electric extracting side mirrors (I live in a street where a lot of traffic is passing)?
    I do not mind looking weeks for a good car, it has to be the correct spec because when it is right I will probably keep it for a very long time. It would be annoying to have a car which miss some things which could have been there if I had searched harder/longer. I found my exact spec of X-type after two months
    1953 Mk VII, blue (USA import)
    1967 420, willow green (USA import)
    2004 X-type 3.0 Estate Executive, matt black (German import)

Post Thanks / Like
    I retrofitted rear PDC and powerfold mirrors to my X308. For powerfolds to work correctly I think the car has to have memory seats/steering/mirrors. AFAIK, front PDC was never an option on X308's but can be retrofitted. Sovereigns had comfort suspension but other 4 litre models had sport suspension unless specified otherwise by the original purchaser. I believe auto lights were standard.
    Jagary, 09 XJ Sovereign 2.7 LWB Liquid Silver/Warm Charcoal & 98 4.0 X308 Aquamarine/Warm Charcoal

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a SWB Sovereign then, and look out for the reverse sensors and heated seats.

- rear PDC (I presume front PDC was never an option?) REAR IS OPTIONAL ON ALL MODELS, FRONT NOT AVAILABLE
    - heated front windscreen (was this an option?) - STANDARD ON SOVEREIGN
    - heated seats - OPTIONAL ON ALL MODELS
    - automatic wipers (rain sensor) - STANDARD ON SOVEREIGN
    - automatic lamps - STANDARD ON ALL MODELS
    - automatic dimmed interior mirror (and outside if possible) - INTERIOR MIRROR DIMMING STANDARD, OUTSIDE MIRRORS NOT AVAILABLE
    - comfort type of suspension (no Sport or R) - STANDARD ON XJ8 3.2 AND SOVEREIGN, XJ8 4.0 AND XJR HAVE SPORTS; XJR IS ADAPTIVE
    - chrome window surrounds - STANDARD ON SOVEREIGN
    - electric extracting side mirrors - OPTIONAL ALL MODELS - AND RARE

On top of the above, the Sovereign also has Cruise control, contrast seat piping, CD changer, and memory seats.

Please also bear in mind, some idiots specified the 'Sports suspension' pack on their Sovereign model, so check the build sheet if this is important to you.

I'd suggest a Daimler as this will have the heated seats, power fold mirrors, and parking sensors as standard; but as far as I know they are all LWB.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB (Work horse)
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Project car)

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah an X,Y or 51 plate Sovereign

Sorry a few corrections

rear PDC - This is fitted depending on year. From around 2000 to all models I think.
    - heated seats - Can't remember the full facts. Rare on early models. Standard from 2000 on high spec models. (if the front console has 2 wide switches they are NOT Fitted)
    - automatic wipers (rain sensor) - Maybe late models too.
    - automatic dimmed interior mirror - Maybe from 2000
    dimming outside mirrors - Fitted with folding mirror pack. (there is NO extra button to fold. Set left/right to the mid position and then press adjust down with IGN on)
    If the mirror glass surround has thick black plastic around it, this is a give away it probably dims. These are prone to going yellow.

If the suspension springs/shocks are green or green marks, this indicates sports suspension.

Other options:
    SUnroof, headlight washers, premium sound (speaker on rear parcel shelf is indicator) Sound is much better.
    Rear sun blinds. Rear heated seats. Ivory leather.
    Last edited by Andy K; 05-10-18 at 15:43.
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

5. Thanks C16RKC thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andy!
    Regards
    Chris Clark

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot all. Will be looking from now!
    1953 Mk VII, blue (USA import)
    1967 420, willow green (USA import)
    2004 X-type 3.0 Estate Executive, matt black (German import)

Post Thanks / Like
    Another small correction......maybe

I have an X300, and X308 and an X350. I can say that there's very litle difference in ride quality (ie comfort) between the three, so to edge out the X350 on that basis seems a little unfair.

There is a very, very large difference in driving dynamics between the 300/308 and 350. The later car drives very much like a much smaller car, whilst maintaining the comfort - it really is an outstanding, order-of-magnitude difference

9. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do raise a good point Woody - the ride of the X350 is not so bad that you should rule the car out. The X350 is much more modern and it's not likely to have the corrosion issues of an old X308.

The X350 also handles far, far better; they feel like completely different cars in fact. The X308 has a lot of body roll on the corners, where as the X350 is as planted as a BMW.

I can't agree on the ride being the same though; my Daimler X308 knocks spots off the jiggly ride of the X350. But it seems some can tell the difference and some can't - I suppose it depends what is important to you.
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like

factory fitted equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by badhuis View Post
    As the owner of an old 420 (12 years) and a 3.0 X-type estate (2 years), I found the ride comfort of the X-type always a bit too firm compared to very supple ride of the 420. Which disappointed me a little, especially as I had chosen the X-type to be the Executive variant and not the Sport which supposedly has a firmer ride.
    In many ways the X-type estate is perfect - not too big, the AWD is great for the ski trip once per year, excellent luggage hauler, fast, all the bells and whistles (my car has it all). I have handled the superficial rust on the sills and made sure the car is tip top. But still, it is not a very good looker - and the comfort ...

A few weeks ago I had a go in a 3.2 V8 Executive. What a great experience! The comfort is all there. Also, I have always liked the looks of an old XJ - until the X350 which sits a bit too high in my opinion (and I have read the comfort is less).
    So, the search is for a very good X308. But what type?
    I have grown quite fond of the luxury of my X-type: heated front screen, heated seats, rear AND front parking sensors, side mirrors which extract electrically. As the X308 is a little older than my generation X-type (it is a Mk2 from 2004), maybe some of these virtues will not be there on the X308. Which leaves the question what type of X308 has the following:
    - rear PDC (I presume front PDC was never an option?)
    - heated front windscreen (was this an option?)
    - heated seats
    - automatic wipers (rain sensor)
    - automatic lamps
    - automatic dimmed interior mirror (and outside if possible)
    - comfort type of suspension (no Sport or R)
    - chrome window surrounds

What was standard on what type and what was an option? Does a Sovereign has all this? Later cars have more? What about the electric extracting side mirrors (I live in a street where a lot of traffic is passing)?
    I do not mind looking weeks for a good car, it has to be the correct spec because when it is right I will probably keep it for a very long time. It would be annoying to have a car which miss some things which could have been there if I had searched harder/longer. I found my exact spec of X-type after two months

Hi, my 2002 XJ8 SE 3.2, has all you want. Rear PDC,heated front and rear screen, heated seats, auto wipers and lights, auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors, SWB, comfort suspension ( 225/60/16 wheels, nice ride ) chrome upper trim ,etc. power seats, power folding mirrors, cruise control, contrast seat piping, 6 x cd changer, radio, tape cassette player (remember those?) all audio operable from the steering wheel. memory seats and steering wheel, original Motorola telephone fully working on auto answer with a new O2 sim card in. Regards, Chris.
    Last edited by fozzy65; 07-11-18 at 22:29. Reason: missed details.
    Fozzy, 2002 XJ8 3.2 SE, Currently a happy bunny, nearly everything is working O.K. Previous Jags...Series 2 and 3 XJ 4.2. Austin A30, Sunbeam Rapier, Morris 1000,Consul GT, etc.