Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Back To Back Driving Tesla Model S 100D vrs Jaguar XKR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    A damn shame it was never put into production. A thing of beauty.
    Try this - action starts at 3 mins:

I wanted an XK180 and put a deposit down but it became yet another 'great car Jaguar never made'.

2. Likes OCD-Jagman, Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AWSM View Post
    I was able to drive a convertible XKR at Donington Park and it was pathetically slow. Granted it was the 4.2, but I was surprised at how lazy the performance was. I put my foot down and nothing happened.
    If you left it in drive and you were struggling to power out of corners then it may have been the DSC getting in the way. I tracked my '07 XKR a few times and found that it wouldn't kick down out of corners until I put it in TRAC DSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    The performance loss is around 3 tenths on 0-60, so unless they are drag racing, I cant see what he's talking about.
    Official figures put the difference at 0.1 secs, 4.9 for the coupe and 5 for the convertible.
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, smaller S/C pulley and Tune ~600bhp)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

4. Likes OCD-Jagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So my point remains. I can't see what he's talking about. 😂

Official figures put the difference at 0.1 secs, 4.9 for the coupe and 5 for the convertible.[/QUOTE]

6. Likes OCD-Jagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD-Jagman View Post
    Back to Tesla S vrs XKR.

Has anybody else had the chance to drive the Tesla S model, please?
    No profanities, just straight to the point.
    You either found it top notch, or maybe not.

Thats what we’re interested in now.
    Like you a friend bought one so I get to drive it whenever we visit.
    front seats quite good, but not as comfortable long term like the XK. The rear seats are not, they are way too close to the floor for comfort, a grown adult ends up with their knees around their ears.
    I think the styling is more like the XF than the XK.
    Power delivery, now this is what is way better than any petrol engine, even our ones with superchargers.
    The interior is not too bad even thought its minimalist, but that screen,,,, I really wonder if such items should be outlawed as a distraction to the driver.
    I think overall its a very good car spoilt by their obsession with fitting every toy they could think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    It is a good possibility that you can get a lift to a petrol station and come back with a jerry can full of fuel but a come back with a suitable mobile generator and a jerry can full of fuel is a taller order ...

The tech. is just not mature enough yet.

Thanks for the mini group test - interesting

The Tesla strikes me as a mobile iPad first and enthusiast's car second
    The tech can be improved with use & development. The massive issues are the (lack of) supporting infrastructure compared to petrol/diesel, & the environmental problem that will arrive with the renewal/disposal/recycle of the batteries.
    As you say, they seem to have though it was an ipad first then a car, not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpo3 View Post
    Mind you, in the interests of balance, let's remember this is an XK/R forum. If it was a Tesla forum it would go like this:

'I just compared my awesome shiny new Tesla against an old Jaguar, an XH I think it was. Maybe an E-Type, not sure. Anyway, I had a go in it and it was like really noisy, and the display was like really small? I couldn't even get Facebook on it lol! And you have to pay over £500 a year in tax to drive this old thing my grandad had once! My Tesla costs nothing to run and for every 100 miles I drive I personally save 12 polar bears.'
    rofl:
    Lets just call them Ernies for now...
    2014 XKR in Italian racing red with speed & black packs, 20" Vortex wheels & charcoal interior

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate touchscreens in cars. You shouldn't have to look to operate a control, let alone spend time trying to steady a finger jigging about in order to get it right. You wouldn't tolerate operating steering, indicators, a horn or a dip-switch like that - why tolerate operating anything else like that either? I reckon it's downright dangerous.

The public haven't yet caught on that it's a ripoff - a cost-saving scam. As a manufacturer, once you've installed a display with a touchscreen you can add as many extra functions, instrument displays and controls as you like at no extra cost whatever, other than the one-off cost of writing the software.

The acceptance of the current fashion for big fancy screens (but bugger-all else in the way of instruments or controls) proves that you can indeed fool most of the people most of the time. CAMPAIGN FOR REAL INSTRUMENTS AND REAL CONTROLS = CAMRIC!
    Jaguar 2007 4.2 litre XK (X150) convertible
    Maxzda 2007 MX-5 2.0 litre (non - 'Sport') roadster-coupe
    Skoda 2007 Octavia 2.0TDI 4WD (not a Scout) estate
    Reliant 1975 Scimitar GTE SE5a (off the road after 243,000 from new)

9. Thanks OCD-Jagman thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I hate touchscreens in cars. You shouldn't have to look to operate a control, let alone spend time trying to steady a finger jigging about in order to get it right. You wouldn't tolerate operating steering, indicators, a horn or a dip-switch like that - why tolerate operating anything else like that either? I reckon it's downright dangerous.

The public haven't yet caught on that it's a ripoff - a cost-saving scam. As a manufacturer, once you've installed a display with a touchscreen you can add as many extra functions, instrument displays and controls as you like at no extra cost whatever, other than the one-off cost of writing the software.

The acceptance of the current fashion for big fancy screens (but bugger-all else in the way of instruments or controls) proves that you can indeed fool most of the people most of the time. CAMPAIGN FOR REAL INSTRUMENTS AND REAL CONTROLS = CAMRIC!
    You seen a Tesla model 3 then? Where literally all the controls are on the touch screen including the speed readout.

If it wasn’t for screens though, there would be just an absolute mess of buttons everywhere, does make for a much better minimalist dash area. Voice control can do most of the hard work for you too.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    You seen a Tesla model 3 then?
    Yes, and it hasn't even got a hatchback so I would never buy one. It's just a boring saloon car car with a stupid little boot-lid.

I have no use for saloon cars if they haven't got a hatch-back, which means you can't actually put anything in them - dur. I want either a practical estate car or an elegant coupe/roadster. Which is why I own the cars I do, including, many years ago, a TR2 and a Morris 1000 traveller. The only time I have had just one car was while I ran my Reliant Scimitar GTE.
    Jaguar 2007 4.2 litre XK (X150) convertible
    Maxzda 2007 MX-5 2.0 litre (non - 'Sport') roadster-coupe
    Skoda 2007 Octavia 2.0TDI 4WD (not a Scout) estate
    Reliant 1975 Scimitar GTE SE5a (off the road after 243,000 from new)

12. Thanks OCD-Jagman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please excuse me if I've posted twice, my first attempt seemed to go for moderation, which wasn't a great start!

Hi. I've just joined the forum after lurking for a few weeks whilst I searched for the right XK which I took delivery of last week. So this is my first post.

Back to the topic; I have just handed back my company car, which was a hybrid 2017 BMW 530e. The reason for me posting though was that last year as well as testing the BMW I also had a Tesla S for a weekend which I did enjoy.

The Tesla was great, having that instant power and a ludicrous mode to play with was a hoot. It was also a surreal feeling having that speed in almost silence. There were though a number of things I didn't like about it:
    1. Very expensive to buy (obviously offset my minimal fuel cost and tax if a company car)
    2. Relatively cheap/plastic feel compared to the BMW or my XK, on longer runs the drivers seat felt quite uncomfortable
    3. I'd previously ridden in a few Tesla taxis in Amsterdam and as someone else above mentions the back seat is not great, but compared to an XK it is at least a real seat
    4. By far the biggest issue was charging and the lack of infrastructure, though this is improving. The range on full charge is quite impressive and the electronics estimate this quite accurately, and adjusted quite quickly when you floored it or had it in the silly mode. But, nevertheless you have this nagging anxiety all the time. Quick charging is an option with a Tesla, but at home that needs a 3 phase supply and Tesla equipment that can be quite expensive.

The BMW was a happy compromise, with a battery that made for a similar silent drive (for only about 20 miles mind) but also with a fairly powerful petrol engine that made quite a nice sound when pushed and took away the charging point anxiety. Like the Tesla it was packed with electronics, I really liked the head up display and was slightly sad to see it go...…..

....But, after doing my silent electric/hybrid stint, I now I have a 2011 XK, with 4 lovely loud pipes whose sound I think is absolutely wonderful and in my fairly subjective opinion has been far more fun to drive and look at than that Tesla.

14. Thanks OCD-Jagman, MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes 8bit, Neilr, Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AWSM View Post
    The XKR is not the greatest car in the world. Just saying.
    Ironically, you own an XKR!
    Just pointing that out.....looooools
    When you buy a Jag, you pay for the engine.
    My other ride is the Mrs.

16. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tesla home charge point is £460 after incentives, this is due to the government giving you £500 towards a home charger. The Jaguar i Pace wall chargemaster charger is £334 after incentive for comparison.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678