Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Back To Back Driving Tesla Model S 100D vrs Jaguar XKR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    You seen a Tesla model 3 then?
    Yes, and it hasn't even got a hatchback so I would never buy one. It's just a boring saloon car car with a stupid little boot-lid.

I have no use for saloon cars if they haven't got a hatch-back, which means you can't actually put anything in them - dur. I want either a practical estate car or an elegant coupe/roadster. Which is why I own the cars I do, including, many years ago, a TR2 and a Morris 1000 traveller. The only time I have had just one car was while I ran my Reliant Scimitar GTE.
    Jaguar 2007 4.2 litre XK (X150) convertible
    Maxzda 2007 MX-5 2.0 litre (non - 'Sport') roadster-coupe
    Skoda 2007 Octavia 2.0TDI 4WD (not a Scout) estate
    Reliant 1975 Scimitar GTE SE5a (off the road after 243,000 from new)

2. Thanks OCD-Jagman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I've just joined the forum after lurking for a few weeks whilst I searched for the right XK which I took delivery of last week. So this is my first post.

Back to the topic; I have just handed back my company car, which was a hybrid 2017 BMW 530e. The reason for me posting though was that last year as well as testing the BMW I also had a Tesla S for a weekend which I did enjoy.

The Tesla was great, having that instant power and a ludicrous mode to play with was a hoot. It was also a surreal feeling having that speed in almost silence. There were though a number of things I didn't like about it:
    1. Very expensive to buy (obviously offset my minimal fuel cost and tax if a company car)
    2. Relatively cheap/plastic feel compared to the BMW or my XK, on longer runs the drivers seat felt quite uncomfortable
    3. I'd previously ridden in a few Tesla taxis in Amsterdam and as someone else above mentions the back seat is not great, but compared to an XK it is at least a real seat
    4. By far the biggest issue was charging and the lack of infrastructure, though this is improving. The range on full charge is quite impressive and the electronics estimate this quite accurately, and adjusted quite quickly when you floored it or had it in the silly mode. But, nevertheless you have this nagging anxiety all the time. Quick charging is an option with a Tesla, but at home that needs a 3 phase supply and Tesla equipment that can be quite expensive.

The BMW was a happy compromise, with a battery that made for a similar silent drive (for only about 20 miles mind) but also with a fairly powerful petrol engine that made quite a nice sound when pushed and took away the charging point anxiety. Like the Tesla it was packed with electronics, I really liked the head up display and was slightly sad to see it go back...…..

…....But, after doing my silent electric/hybrid stint, I now I have a 2011 XK, with 4 lovely loud pipes whose sound I think is absolutely wonderful and in my fairly subjective opinion has been far more fun to drive and look at than that Tesla.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please excuse me if I've posted twice, my first attempt seemed to go for moderation, which wasn't a great start!

Hi. I've just joined the forum after lurking for a few weeks whilst I searched for the right XK which I took delivery of last week. So this is my first post.

Back to the topic; I have just handed back my company car, which was a hybrid 2017 BMW 530e. The reason for me posting though was that last year as well as testing the BMW I also had a Tesla S for a weekend which I did enjoy.

The Tesla was great, having that instant power and a ludicrous mode to play with was a hoot. It was also a surreal feeling having that speed in almost silence. There were though a number of things I didn't like about it:
    1. Very expensive to buy (obviously offset my minimal fuel cost and tax if a company car)
    2. Relatively cheap/plastic feel compared to the BMW or my XK, on longer runs the drivers seat felt quite uncomfortable
    3. I'd previously ridden in a few Tesla taxis in Amsterdam and as someone else above mentions the back seat is not great, but compared to an XK it is at least a real seat
    4. By far the biggest issue was charging and the lack of infrastructure, though this is improving. The range on full charge is quite impressive and the electronics estimate this quite accurately, and adjusted quite quickly when you floored it or had it in the silly mode. But, nevertheless you have this nagging anxiety all the time. Quick charging is an option with a Tesla, but at home that needs a 3 phase supply and Tesla equipment that can be quite expensive.

The BMW was a happy compromise, with a battery that made for a similar silent drive (for only about 20 miles mind) but also with a fairly powerful petrol engine that made quite a nice sound when pushed and took away the charging point anxiety. Like the Tesla it was packed with electronics, I really liked the head up display and was slightly sad to see it go...…..

....But, after doing my silent electric/hybrid stint, I now I have a 2011 XK, with 4 lovely loud pipes whose sound I think is absolutely wonderful and in my fairly subjective opinion has been far more fun to drive and look at than that Tesla.

5. Thanks OCD-Jagman, MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes 8bit, Neilr, Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AWSM View Post
    The XKR is not the greatest car in the world. Just saying.
    Ironically, you own an XKR!
    Just pointing that out.....looooools
    When you buy a Jag, you pay for the engine.
    My other ride is the Mrs.

7. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tesla home charge point is £460 after incentives, this is due to the government giving you £500 towards a home charger. The Jaguar i Pace wall chargemaster charger is £334 after incentive for comparison.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    To get full power to charge the Tesla you also need to install a 3 phase supply which can be quite expensive depending on location, distance from street supply, etc.

10. Thanks OCD-Jagman thanked for this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678