Thread: Service Problem - Advice Needed

Post Thanks / Like

Question Service Problem - Advice Needed

Hi all,
    bought my first Jag today... it's a 2016 Portfolio 2.0D Auto. It's 2.5 years old and only done 14,500 miles. Further digging has revealed that sadly, the previous owner passed away. As a consequence, I bought it from a prestige car dealer who was selling via the wife of the deceased. I was told it had the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty but on checking with my local Jag dealer today, it would appear the warranty is void because the car has missed the 2 year/21000mile service. The dealer did give the car a service (but they are not approved Jag) and have now offered an AA warranty in lieu of the manufacturer's warranty for the remaining term.

My question is, give the circumstance and mint condition of the car, are Jaguar likely to back track and offer me the warranty if I push them? I'd be happy to pay for the 2nd service to enable this...

I also have a VAT receipt for the service the dealer did before selling the car to me - does this effectively maintain the car's full service history, despite the fact it was not done by a main dealer?

thanks in advance for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Presumably the warranty is void because the second service was well out of time.

I wouldnt worry about it. By the time you’ve finished arguing the toss it will be out of warranty anyway.

Just get the guy you’re buying from to throw in a 6m warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I understand it, it doesn’t need to be serviced by a Jaguar dealer, but does need to use genuine Jaguar parts etc. The easiest way to be sure of Jaguar parts is of course to use a Jaguar dealer...
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn’t seem be a matter of who services it, more that it’s 6 months past it’s second service point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PScott543 View Post
    It doesn’t seem be a matter of who services it, more that it’s 6 months past it’s second service point.
    Point taken. I fear that 6 months is indeed going to be too late.
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverichardson View Post
    Point taken. I fear that 6 months is indeed going to be too late.
    I'm hoping someone at Jaguar can be pragmatic about this given the circumstances...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well don't hold your breath, regardless of circumstance Jaguar will not honour a warranty when the car hasn't been maintained under their warranty conditions.

Different ball game if you had purchased it from an approved dealer, my car had gone into their system sometime before it's yearly November service, I purchased it in the following Febuary and it was then serviced and all warranties and future service history were updated inline with my purchase date.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Its based on risk, the vehicle went beyond the service schedule and hence there is a level of risk to JLR, I would not expect them to take that (and neither would any other manufacturer).

Get the extended warranty from the supplying outlet (make sure its a decent one), check carefully that they used the correct oil (Ingenium engines need a specific spec) and enjoy a bargain car