Thread: XJ6 automatic shoulder belt

Post Thanks / Like

XJ6 automatic shoulder belt

I have a 1991 XJ6 that I purchased new. About 10 years ago I started having problems with the automatic shoulder belts. The belts jam up and donít fully follow the track. The other end of the belt thatís by the seat and connects to the track is also jammed. The only thing that works is the manual lap belt. I brought it to Jaguar and they replaced the tracks above the door. After a short time I still had problems and it just seemed like it wasnít designed well no matter what was replaced. So I just left it. About 2 years ago I took the car off the road. It is in very nice condition and always been maintained well. I would like to restore it completely and have everything working like new, including the shoulder belts. I was told by Jaguar that there is a lifetime warranty on the shoulder and lap belts. My questions are:
    1. Does anyone know if this is true. Will they honor this warranty even with the age of the car and the probability that they wonít have these parts available. In that case, what is their responsibility.
    2. Are there any aftermarket conversion kits to make these shoulder belts manual.
    3. Any other solutions or suggestions.

Thanks to all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill. You seem to have confused me. I thought the belts were Lap and Diagonal which is all the workshop manual shows. What "tracks" above the door are you talking about. The Lap and Diagonal belts have a cassette at the base of the door pillar and the belt runs behind the panel at shoulder height. the belt crosses the shoulder and connects to the fixed buckle by the center consul.
    The only thing that is common to stick is the release and retract mechanism in the cassette which can occur if the cassette is not perfectly perpendicular.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roger
    Thanks for your reply. ��
    My XJ6 is a 1991 and seems to be the opposite of what you mentioned. To the right of the seat base against the console, there is a fixed mechanism that unrolls as the other end follows along the track above the window as the door is opened or closed. The lap belt is separate and totally manual. The shoulder belt that is fixed by the side of the seat is connected to the track mechanism with a connector similar to the seat belt and can be unlatched, although it is always left connected.
    When the door is opened, the track mechanism pulls the belt forward along the top edge above the door window toward the steering wheel allowing you to exit. When the door is closed, the mechanism pulls the belt toward the rear, wrapping the shoulder belt around you. It’s completely automatic. Both parts of the system, the track and the fixed roll mechanism by the seat jam.
    I will take some pics of the system and post for you to see.

Regards,
    Bill

4. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill, look forward to seeing the pictures.

Roger
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill, I have been searching for this and found that the automatic restraint belts were not fitted to vehicles this side of the world.
    However I found this on the US site https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-92-xj6-42766/ and it explains quite a bit.
    Hope you find it interesting.

Roger

7. Thanks Bill Behrbom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	741F5242-B203-423D-8AAA-6E0D7729DBEC.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	665.0 KB 
ID:	28606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9CA6D0AC-564C-40AD-B5F2-89EED9D38B25.jpg 
Size:	484.7 KB 
ID:	28607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	741F5242-B203-423D-8AAA-6E0D7729DBEC.jpg 
Size:	665.0 KB 
ID:	28606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9CA6D0AC-564C-40AD-B5F2-89EED9D38B25.jpg 
Size:	484.7 KB 
ID:	28607Hi Roger. Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Consoling to know that other people are having similar problems, but not so good to see that parts are no longer available and Jaguar doesnít seem to interested.
    I took some pics that Iíll try to add and youíll see what the system looks like. Iím hoping that someone will know of a conversion that will allow the belt to work manually.
    The red button by the seat is where the lap belt connects manually. The black square (should be a red button too) connects to the track - as seen in second picture That belt is jammed and will not roll out. Iím actually using the one from the passenger seat pulled over the console glove box. When the door is open the track automatically slides down the pillar with the belt against the steering wheel allowing entrance. Closing the door, the track slides up the pillar and across the top of the window and about halfway down the pillar at the back of the door, holding you in. This would also jam and if not noticed, would drain the battery overnight. These tracks were replaced by Jaguar about 10 years ago but are not reliable. Unfortunately, disconnecting the fuse will result in the retractor to go to the full open position (bottom of the windshield pillar). Otherwise if it stopped in the secured position, it could be disconnected and used manually. So, thatís the system. Doesnít seem like it was designed well or will ever work properly. Hopefully someone might know of a conversion kit to manual. Or I might have to send the car to Fanthomworks, West Coast Customs, or Pimp my Ride. LOL
    Regards,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bill, thanks for the pictures. Did you pick up the two PDF files on #11 on the other site. Very interesting.
    However these were not fitted to our cars over here so difficult to advise on a solution.
    Seat belts are a major factor in our MOT and they would be a failure over here and if they cannot be repaired then the only option would be to convert to a normal Lap and Diagonal belt requiring the B pillar covers etc. The fixing points must already be there at the base of the B pillars as would be the fixing point at shoulder height on the B pillar as I assume the structure would be identical to the UK models.
    Other than that I would try to work out why they are not working as they should. It would appear that in most cases it is a lack of maintenance that causes the rails to malfunction and the cassette mechanism not retracting or the motors themselves. Difficult one.

Roger

10. Thanks Bill Behrbom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roger
    I just looked at the PDF files posted on #11. Great info! Looks like it will be helpful. Thanks. So far it seems like the inertia reel retraction mechanism is jammed. The tracks were replaced by Jaguar and work but can easily jam draining the battery overnight. The whole system is not designed well and doesn’t work well. I wonder how many people just disconnected the shoulder belt from the track and just used the lap belt. I hope I can find a simple solution to convert to manual. I’m going to go through the flow chart and see if anything else applies. “Limited” lifetime warranty with unavailable parts.
    Thanks again for your help and interest.

Regards,
    Bill

12. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with it Bill. Please keep us advised.

Roger

14. Thanks Bill Behrbom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will do. Thanks again for your help and advice.
    Bill

16. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post