Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminal Problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Terminal Problem?

OK - so I am driving along minding my own business - low speed (sub 20 mph), and with no notice the "ASC not Available" warning comes up. No concern, but then "TRAC not Available" arrives - still not particularly worrying, but then it says "Failsafe Engine Mode", and to round off my day "Gearbox Fault". I gently tiptoed the 400 yards into the company car park (phew, I'm glad it was close) with no clunks or smoke or any drama, but then as I put it into reverse to park I got a clunk. It did go into reverse, and then safely into Neutral.

So - I don't have a code reader or anything, but just to give me a warning of what may be in my future would anyone like to guess what happened?

(I think a trip on the back of the AA truck is in my immediate future, but I meant after that!)

2000 (W reg) 4.0 XK8 coupe. 98,000 miles.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

Post Thanks / Like
    With a number of not too related problems being thrown up simultaneously, the first question is always "what is the battery voltage?".
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

3. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    With a number of not too related problems being thrown up simultaneously, the first question is always "what is the battery voltage?".
    Spot on again Neil !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Thanks. I will try to figure out how to check that.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Thanks. I will try to figure out how to check that.
    Digital multimeter on DC 20v setting, across the battery terminals with everything switched off.

Ideally, to get a more reliable reading, you could first leave the headlights on for 2-3 mins., turn them back off and then measure.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.

7. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could buy a cheapo digital voltmeter that plugs into the cigar lighter socket. Check the reading it gives with a decent multimeter connected directly across the battery terminals to see how accurate it is.

I have a meter mounted in the boot and it's surprisingly accurate.

Regards.............................IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

9. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just found this picture of my setup.

Hope it helps..........................IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Battery reads 12.2 with the engine off, 14.1 with the engine on.

Incidentally when I turned the engine back on (to run the above check), all of the alarms had disappeared. Emboldened I drove around the car park. Sounds sweet as ever.

I called the AA, and they couldn't find any codes stored (? Is their equipment compatible with these cars?), so I drove it around a bit and the warnings didn't come back.

So ... watch this space, I guess.

Anyone have any advice regarding what I could do/ check to ensure the issue doesn't return?
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be sure the AA equipment would be able to check for faults. All cars now, ( from 1996 I think), are equipped with a standard socket to enable test equipment to connect with the vehicle. I can't say why no faults were stored.

12.2V is a little low. If you are doing short runs I would advise investing in a "smart" battery charger.

Winter is just around the corner which of course puts extra strain on batteries.

Smart chargers are just that. They can just be connected and left to their own devices. Have a look at the Ctek webpage for more info.

As you can see from my photo I have a Ctek convenience panel fitted, this allows me to plug in my charger without having to mess about attaching crocodile clips etc. to the battery terminals.

Cheers........................................IP

13. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Battery reads 12.2 with the engine off, 14.1 with the engine on.
    If the car is used regularly with reasonable runs and the battery is charging only to 12.2v, it is getting weak. You could plug it into a charger, top it up and see where it stands.

15. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast