Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sign the Diesel Petition

Post Thanks / Like
    Diesel owners here in the UK pay well over the odds for fuel. It used to be cheaper than petrol but for the last 10 years at least it has been more. Add that to the reduction in VED and we probably work out the same.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rchiv View Post
    Diesel owners here in the UK pay well over the odds for fuel. It used to be cheaper than petrol but for the last 10 years at least it has been more. Add that to the reduction in VED and we probably work out the same.

Roger
    Petrol was more expensive for a lot longer than just 10 years so us long time petrol drivers are still worse off Roger
    Its all swings and roundabouts sometimes your better off sometimes your not
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    Petrol was more expensive for a lot longer than just 10 years so us long time petrol drivers are still worse off Roger
    In those days the VED was the same though. Depending on engine size not emissions.

Roger
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but I won't be signing the petition. We need change and we need honesty from politicians, I'm not sure this would be in the interests of either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    Sorry but I won't be signing the petition. We need change and we need honesty from politicians, I'm not sure this would be in the interests of either.
    That's for you to decide.
    As you do not show your signature we do not know what you drive so I assume it to be petrol.

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Signed. I was one of those out of pocket thanks to them, so I hope that something is done.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

7. Thanks rchiv thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3 cars a 3.2 a 4.2 and a 4.4 all Petrol so no devils juice for me. However do we really trust Politicians to be honest with us they told us to buy Diesels whilst it was cheaper fuel and hey presto as soon as we all did the price goes up. What next Petrol Cars over 1.0l will be taxed more and then only hybrids allowed etc.
    If the roads where not full of road works and the cities not congested because the Country should have put up the notice "sorry we are full" 15 or even 20 years ago then we might not be looking at pollution in the same way.

9. Likes rchiv, Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've signed it but I don't think that even if it reaches the required threshold it will do any good as it asks for a "public enquiry" which won't get anywhere. Still it at least registers some concern.

For what it is worth, as I live within the confines of London ruled by the Ayatollah's TfL money gathering machine, a plug in hybrid would be my preferred vehicle IF 70+% of my mileage was within the M25 boundary. I would live with the penalty of lugging around a heavy battery pack on the grounds that regenerative braking would recover more energy than the fuel consumption penalty of the additional weight. Coupled to my "economy 7" electric supply for cheap(er) overnight electricity it would make sense. However, 70+% of my mileage is on long runs throughout GB while I enjoy the countryside, towns and facilities available and spend my rather sparse pension indirectly supporting local businesses. For this sort of travel NOx emission is not a problem - a point conveniently forgotten by the current generation of "eco warriors" and their money gathering mates. For the bulk of my travel I'm producing less CO2 for global warming, and helping preserve the diminishing finite supplies of crude oil.

Ian C
    2005 2.0D SE Estate

11. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    There will be no compensation or other benefit or change, Geoff.

Many of the guilty are dead or out of politics now anyway.

We can't even get Blair and Straw behind bars for Iraq and the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.

It's just an excercise in my view.

An investigation to be at best debated.

I'm curious to see how many signatures it gets.

The other petition for harsher sentencing for knife crime didn't get far and one would think that it would have more followers.

The GBP really are ostriches, and that will show here too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcosic View Post
    No.

Diesel owners have been subsided by petrol owners for over 20 years.

I believe diesel owners should pay back the subsidy.
    Rubbish!

Diesel has been cheaper to produce from its first use and was sold cheaper.

On the continent and in Cyprus it was around 60% the price of petrol for decades, I don't know about Yurrup now.

In Cyprus it used to cost CY£48 to fill up our Prado and CY£75 to fill up our Camry years ago when we bought them, now it costs €100 for the Prado and €80 for the Camry! And road tax for the Prado is double that for the Camry, the same ratio as it was then.

Then diesel crept up because it gave higher mileage.

Then it became a great tax revenue.

It's still cheaper to produce than petrol.

So we've Always been paying more and still are.

14. Likes rchiv liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12