Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about led bulbs headlights

Post Thanks / Like
    From the wiring diagrams your 2004 should have had manual leveling adjuster.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rchiv View Post
    From the wiring diagrams your 2004 should have had manual leveling adjuster.

Roger
    Many thanks Roger.

The mind grows foggier the more time passes since she left us.

3. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fitted LEDs to mine, both dip and main, about 14 months ago. My theory was the beam pattern would be the same as with the Halogen bulb, as the light source is in the same place (as opposed to the HID which is a projector type), and so it proved, they went through MOT without problem about three months ago. The improvement in the light is incredible, and they do not appear to annoy other drivers as I have never been flashed. They were plug and play (if a little fiddly to fit) and I can put the Halogens back if necessary in very little time.
    Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8 SE 2003 MY

Post Thanks / Like
    All non HID equipped cars should have manual adjustment While HID equipped cars have fully automatic self levelling & NO manual adjustment. Apparently, it's one of the tell tales MOT testers have been told to look for to determine whether an HID fitment is original or not. Funnily enough, I was chatting to my MOT man the other day, & he was saying he's found quite a few HID cars (no particular make/model) where the self levelling isn't working. He wonders if it's down to a lot of the roads in our neck of the woods being built on fen land, which become not so much bumpy, but quite undulating as the ground moves/sinks (some areas sink about a foot every ten years) & therefore the self levelling system is working overtime & burns out. He said some have cost a small fortune to repair.

+1 on the Ring Xenon ultras, had them in my 2.5 for about 3years now & still good.

Regards, OW
    1999 S Type 3.0L SE, A truly lovely old girl that's served me well. Probably the best car I've had. Now retired.
    02.5MY (X202) S Type 2.5L SE, 58,000 miles, full Jag s/h, all papers, MOT's, receipts etc from new when purchased.
    2006 X type SE 2.2 Diesel. Supposed to be Mrs O's economical commuter car.
    2004 (X202) 2.5L Sport plus, to replace the 3.0L

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is that most LED bulbs are a circular tower of individual LEDs on its side, whereas Halogen and Upgrade bulbs are single filament and shorter.

Some LED bulbs have flat two-sided arrays, and the source width is still huge.

So the headlamp reflectors are shaped to concentrate the light from the shorter filament in the centre of the bulb.

When the LED bulb is in place, the LEDs are not at the centre of the bulb and are also around double the length of the original filament.

So more than half the light is splayed outwards or short focussed.

LED headlamp reflectors are of course shaped to suit the bulb they are designed for.

Upgrade bulbs solve this because the filaments are in the centre and closer to the original filament length. Some are shorter and the light is even better focussed.

Prove yours by lighting up your wall or garage door with both or all 3 types.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 12-10-18 at 19:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've linked this a couple of times in the past for similar questions/discussions. https://blog.motoringassist.com/news...g-car-legally/ It explains all

Regards, OW
    1999 S Type 3.0L SE, A truly lovely old girl that's served me well. Probably the best car I've had. Now retired.
    02.5MY (X202) S Type 2.5L SE, 58,000 miles, full Jag s/h, all papers, MOT's, receipts etc from new when purchased.
    2006 X type SE 2.2 Diesel. Supposed to be Mrs O's economical commuter car.
    2004 (X202) 2.5L Sport plus, to replace the 3.0L

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R2e View Post
    I fitted LEDs to mine, both dip and main, about 14 months ago. My theory was the beam pattern would be the same as with the Halogen bulb, as the light source is in the same place (as opposed to the HID which is a projector type), and so it proved, they went through MOT without problem about three months ago. The improvement in the light is incredible, and they do not appear to annoy other drivers as I have never been flashed. They were plug and play (if a little fiddly to fit) and I can put the Halogens back if necessary in very little time.
    Which ones did you use our of interest.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    Thsnks OW.

Can you please put that in the Upgrade Bulbs thread in our Stickies, so I don't plagiarise your findings?

LED headlight bulbs fitted in Halogen bulb headlamps are strictly illegal, as OW's linked article states.

There is no ambiguity there.

LED headlamp units are available as the article indicates (Interesting that Ring Automotive makes some) but they are sealed units and the LED bulb in them is integral and cannot be replaced.

I don't wish to upset anyone but believing that LED bulbs are better, or in focus, or legal, is self-delusion chaps. They do dazzle and the light is diffused as already explained above.

These images illustrate why:

LED H7 bulb:

Standard Halogen H7 Bulb:

Ring Xenon Ultima +130% H7 Upgrade Bulb:

Look at the difference in size of the LED "filaments". They cannot be focussed.

Some claim 4,000 Lumens. How can they not dazzle since they splay so much light in all directions?

I don't flash the hundreds of cars which dazzle me unless no other car is behind them, in which case they get my full beams until they have passed me.

Many of them are women and just wonder why, and don't know why.

If any MoT inspector misses LED conversions and passes the car, it's an oversight and the car is still unroadworthy, and your risk if caught and penalised, although that's very unlikely to happen

MoT inspectors look for any sign of blue light and can fail on that. But LEDs don't give out blue light.

Why do that since legal upgrade bulbs to +130% are readily available, giving twice the light and range of a standard 55W halogen bulb?

We should use courtesy and common sense.

By the way main beam bulbs for non-HID S Types are HB3 and are also available in +120% upgrade bulbs, 60 Watts, but since main beam is only usable to light the road when there are no oncoming cars and my +120% dipped beams lit up 40 to 50 metres of the road ahead, I didn't need to fit any to mine

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 12-10-18 at 20:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, these are the LED bulbs I fitted, they locate in one position only and have one light source per side which is located where the Halogen light source is. Incidentally my car had Halfords Xenon Halogens fitted which I replaced, I didn't think they were as good as they were made out to be. The LEDs may technically be illegal but they passed the beam pattern during MOT and I have confirmed in tests with friends that they do not dazzle vehicles coming the other way. To my old eyes they offer considerable improvement, a lifesaver during the winter months in particular when they are as good as HID, if not better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	led_hldip.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	28633
    Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8 SE 2003 MY

Post Thanks / Like
    LED lights are not illegal if the beam pattern is within limits. The S Type, and X Type, have projector lenses in the dip beams so are suitable for them. I agree with Jim on the dazzling point but even the 130% dazzle at certain angles. However the MOT states that any headlight that can be seen to be modified by having additional wiring to the unit will be a failure. Also there has to be Auto Leveling. As in the case of my HID conversion where a 20mm hole had to be cut in the cap to accommodate the ballast wiring. I have reverted to the Osram Nightbreakers and although they do not give the same depth or distance as the HID they are 10 times better than the OEM halogens. I fitted the HID conversion for longevity as any X Type owner will know changing the bulbs is a PITA.
    It does not matter which bulbs you have in the main beams as there is no determined pattern and as long as the colour is correct and equal brightness on both sides and there is no obvious modification then they will pass.
    I did not go down the LED route as it is possible that the MOT will do to them what they have done for HID.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast