Thread: New tyres on the rear.

Post Thanks / Like

New tyres on the rear.

Hi all, having fitted Kumho's to the front six months ago ( the first tyres I have had to buy in 4 years) to replace Hankooks, I have now replaced the rear Hankooks with Landsail 388's.
    They were good value at £68 each fitted and my 2002 xj8 feels good wearing them. I will see how they perform and post my conclusions .
    Regards to all, Chris.
    Fozzy, 2002 XJ8 3.2 SE, Currently a happy bunny, nearly everything is working O.K. Previous Jags...Series 2 and 3 XJ 4.2. Austin A30, Sunbeam Rapier, Morris 1000,Consul GT, etc.

2. Likes Villanova27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fozzy, I've heard good things about Hankook but never used them

I have experience of the Kumho's having had a few sets and a recent set on my XJ X351, A really good mid range tyre that just does what it says on the tin, no drama's and a decent price too

As I prefer to have all 4 corners the same it was Kumho's all round for me

Can't say I've heard anything good about Landsails, but my guts telling me no and as winter approaches it'll be interesting times I would imagine

Cheers
    Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    I have different tyres on front and rear and it drives me nuts to not have matching tyres.
    Just looking now on Ebay at various makes I fitted Accelera to my Range Rover a budget tyre but they have been really good.
    I have seen a good offer on Nexen has anyone used them. How can two tyres doing the same job with the same rating be so different in price looking at in some cases 5 times the cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Morning Guys,
    I had www.blackcircles.com come out and replace my rear tyres with Kumho's during June 2017.
    Price was £112 each (now advertised at £105) fully fitted incl vat and old tyre disposal.

Incidentally, at the time their website prices were Pirelli's £185 each and Michelin over £200.

The Kuhmo's have been great and I will soon have a pair fitted to my fronts.

Supertrev.

Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnandhisjags View Post
    I have different tyres on front and rear and it drives me nuts to not have matching tyres.
    Just looking now on Ebay at various makes I fitted Accelera to my Range Rover a budget tyre but they have been really good.
    I have seen a good offer on Nexen has anyone used them. How can two tyres doing the same job with the same rating be so different in price looking at in some cases 5 times the cost.
    I've heard a few good things about Nexen but no personal experience, which is of course the best kind. I would have always recommended Barum Bravuris 3HM, a tyre made by Continental in Czech Rep but for some reason they seem a bit thin on the ground these days, a good tyre if you can find them though.
    Kumho's would be my recommendation right now

Quote Originally Posted by supertrev View Post
    Morning Guys,
    I had www.blackcircles.com come out and replace my rear tyres with Kumho's during June 2017.
    Price was £112 each (now advertised at £105) fully fitted incl vat and old tyre disposal.

Incidentally, at the time their website prices were Pirelli's £185 each and Michelin over £200.
    The Kuhmo's have been great and I will soon have a pair fitted to my fronts.
    Supertrev.
    Can't fault you Supertrev
    Blackcircles are doing a great job these days and I use them frequently, good call on the Kumho's too.

Jim
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought my 2014 XK Dynamic R it had OEM Pirelli P zeros on the back...but accelera (or somesuch) all season budget tyres on the front.

On test drive I feathered the loud pedal when going from a 30-50 zone in 20c damp conditions and lost the back end!

Changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s's (295/30/20 rear 255/35/20 rear) all round on delivery with full 4 wheel alignment done, no such issues. Interestingly Kwikfit was running a 25% off on Michy's and it came to £1050, I ordered from blackcircles and the same tyres came to £850...both prices fully fitted.

This is after having a VERY good experience with their pilot super sports on my old 96 X100

So if you want to protect your investment in all weather's then it's best to have the best rubber you can afford, I've another set of alloys that my winter rubber will be going on.
    2014 XK Dynamic R
    Toyota C-HR
    Audi A6 quattro

Somerset UK

8. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
    So if you want to protect your investment in all weather's then it's best to have the best rubber you can afford, I've another set of alloys that my winter rubber will be going on.
    Agreed 100% MarkyM

That said, like with many other parts and things in life generally, because something is the most expensive or has the best branded name doesn't necessarily make it the best, or the best value for money either

Protecting your investment when you've spent a lot of money on a car obviously makes sense, but that's just down to the individual. In winter especially, but at all times, driver skill and awareness coupled with a good measure of common sense will benefit along with that good rubber

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Agreed 100% MarkyM

That said, like with many other parts and things in life generally, because something is the most expensive or has the best branded name doesn't necessarily make it the best, or the best value for money either
    Jim
    Jim, agree in part but find any of the rubber mentioned above that has an 86%+ buy again rating of what I chose:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Mi...-Sport-4-S.htm

As I say to my dear sainted (retired vicar) Mum "You may think you're right...I know I am!" But she does have God on her side
    2014 XK Dynamic R
    Toyota C-HR
    Audi A6 quattro

Somerset UK