Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the s type becoming a classic?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the s type becoming a classic?

I was out shopping yesterday with my wife and was left at the magazine stand so that I did not interfere by filling the shopping trolley with ducmon treats. As I started to check out the car magazines my attention was rapidly caught by a picture on the front of "young oldtimer". Inside there was an eight page write up on the s type. It was all in all a positive write up for the car.

It appears that they were showing all the weak points for potential buyers and were recommending them as an investment for the future. They were showing the value for all of the models.

Just for Jim they were not limiting the article to the STR but all models and showing that the value for a good car appears to at least stabile if not slowly going up.I

I unable to report more because just as I was getting really into the article "she who will be obeyed" came along and informed me that it is time to go and " No you cannot have that magazine!!!!! "

So perhaps another person in Germany can supply more information about the beloved S type ( I am not biased here honest)
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

2. Likes S-Type Owner, rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We know who wears the trousers in your house

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course she wears the trousers she would look very silly in a kilt
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

5. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you ducmon! <takes a bow left and right whilst glancing behind!>

There will always be connoisseurs for cars with individual looks.

The S Type is still a very good looking car, the 4.2 V8 non-supercharged is still a great car in my view.

The factor which will slow things down is the old tin worm, an S Type 3.0 litre with holes would not be as worth restoring as an STR, obviously except for owners who are attached to theirs.

The 4.0-litre V8 also has an attraction for me and is cheap.

If any clean S Type came my way I wouldn't turn it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Without wishing to steal the thunder of the S-type, might the classic annointment soon apply to the X-type also?

I realise that S v X is perhaps a touchy subject and I admit that it might take longer for the X to establish a propitious following in this regard, but in truth there may be arguments to substantiate both models in the future as each has their unique characteristics in Jaguar's history books.
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowley_1812 View Post
    Without wishing to steal the thunder of the S-type, might the classic annointment soon apply to the X-type also?
    I think it will only apply to the Estate. 3.0. Pre-facelift, obviously. In dark blue. Oh, and it will have to be a Sovereign.

Apart from that, no chance!
    55 X-Type 3.0 Sovereign estate, automatic, midnight blue, barley leather

Previous cars going back through time:
    X-Type 2.2d SE estate, Alfa Romeo GT, Porsche 928, Lexus GS300, Mercedes E320, Mercedes E280, Rover 600, Vauxhall Senator, Opel Ascona, Fiat 127, Dutton Phaeton, Hillman Avenger

9. Likes Rowley_1812 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
    It think it will only apply to the Estate. 3.0. Pre-facelift, obviously. In dark blue. Oh, and it will have to be a Sovereign.

Apart from that, no chance!

... and only on a '55' plate presumably?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowley_1812 View Post
    ... and only on a '55' plate presumably?
    Yeah, but they're like hens' teeth - good luck finding one.
    55 X-Type 3.0 Sovereign estate, automatic, midnight blue, barley leather

Previous cars going back through time:
    X-Type 2.2d SE estate, Alfa Romeo GT, Porsche 928, Lexus GS300, Mercedes E320, Mercedes E280, Rover 600, Vauxhall Senator, Opel Ascona, Fiat 127, Dutton Phaeton, Hillman Avenger

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure I saw a picture of one recently ... but I could have been mistaken!

13. Likes Willber G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The S type R is quite a rare car these days and is quite well thought off but the other variations are not hence the prices. I had a 2.7D and it was a fantastic Car and the 4.2 is also great but they don't get much notice sadly

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast