Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: My XJL 5.0 V8 Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say that I appear to fall between the two stools: I can't be doing with avoidable mess (sweet wrappers, garbage in the car), but I can't quite get my head round nugatory work: spend three hours washing the car, and the next seagull along wrecks all of your work. I can't resort to frankc's "cover it up" approach either: half the point of having it is to look at!

I would love to customise my car, if only so that I had something to brag about here, but as noted elsewhere I am a useless lump of uselessness when it comes to working with my hands, and paying someone else to do it seems to be cheating, somehow.

It took a while, and a lot of practice, but I finally came to the realisation that a dent in the bodywork is just that. It doesn't spoil the car, and worrying about it just decreases ones quality of life needlessly. (Parking in trees and/or potholes, however, is a whole 'nother ballgame!) I am happy to pay to fix structural defects, and to keep the motor car running, but I can't be worrying about stuff - life is too short.

Her indoors won't drive either of my Jags; not because she is worried about the car, per se, but because they are "too big and scary". To be honest she has only driven one car for more than a decade, and I will have a terrible job getting her to move to a new one when her Mondeo dies.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    I thought I was a fairly young 55 but perhaps not, oh well ( note to self, must try harder )
    I am the other side of 60, and it always amuses me when you young folk start worrying about ageing.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

2. Likes #steve, coling, JimC64, C16RKC, seagull liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blimey, am I the youngster, seeing as I'm not (quite) 50.

Just call me TheBoy
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

4. Likes JimC64, mac_doctor, #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree not the end of the world if a wheel is scraped, just a PITA as said.

Yes I take pride in both our cars and Mrs G knows that, so think that’s all it was. The XJL is longer and lower than her Range Rover and she simply didn’t want to drive it previously, the comment about the wheels was only half serious.
    XJ X351 5.0 V8 Portfolio, Black 2011 17k
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=111207
    Range Rover Vogue, 4.2 V8 Supercharged, Grey '08 80k
    http://bit.ly/2kB60lW

Previously

XJ X358 2.7Tdvi Sovereign, Vapour Grey '08 70k
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=98612
    X Type Sport, 3.0 V6, Racing Green '03 plate 80k.
    http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f69/my-3-0-x-48345.html

6. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, C16RKC, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoy View Post
    ... Just call me TheBoy
    Believe me, we do!
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

8. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Believe me, we do!
    Obviously I answer to most names, most not allowed on this forum!

10. Likes coling, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did I see a Jaguar owner say these cars are for A to B transport!!!!!!!
    Toyotas are A to B . Just as some people like fine art ( blobs of paint on canvas) or spend millions on arabian horses( slow A to B) there is no point in having an xj if you just want to get from point to point.
    It is the sense of occassion which defines these cars like a fine cigar and whiskey

12. Thanks JimC64, mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, mac_doctor, #steve, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jasz1156 View Post
    Toyotas are A to B . Just as some people like fine art ( blobs of paint on canvas) or spend millions on arabian horses( slow A to B) there is no point in having an xj if you just want to get from point to point.
    It is the sense of occassion which defines these cars like a fine cigar and whiskey

What Jasz said

Also for getting from A to B, C and onto Z....In style and comfort

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

14. Likes coling, #steve, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jasz1156 View Post
    It is A to B transport. If I didn't need to get from A to B, I wouldn't have it.

I use an XJ because it meets my needs - when I had to replace one of my Vauxhall Omegas a couple of years back, the XF and XJ were the only 2 cars I could find that met my specified needs. Ignoring badge snobbery for a minute (of which I have no time for), the Omega is a hard car to follow for a mile cruncher. The XF was actually my preference, but couldn't find the spec/colour I wanted (because its a tool, I cant be dealing with light interiors) in the required timeframe. Hence I have an XJ, and it runs on tractor fuel (which in itself, if "sense of occasion" is important, is just plain wrong). There is nothing particularly special about it, other than it meets the majority of my needs. Even if it can't set the clock itself, or have the interior mirror on the memory system.

I have never used a screwdriver "with a sense of occasion", and that's a tool just like the XJ. A tool that gets me from A to B with enough comfort that my (knackered) back doesn't spasm and leave me crippled for hours after.

So, yes, I own an XJ, and its for A to B transport. For me, Toyotas are unsuitable as A to B transport, along with most other FWD, non-descript shitboxes.

16. Thanks dbug thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC, #steve, dbug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is A to B transport. If I didn't need to get from A to B, I wouldn't have it.

I use an XJ because it meets my needs - when I had to replace one of my Vauxhall Omegas a couple of years back, the XF and XJ were the only 2 cars I could find that met my specified needs. Ignoring badge snobbery for a minute (of which I have no time for), the Omega is a hard car to follow for a mile cruncher. The XF was actually my preference, but couldn't find the spec/colour I wanted (because its a tool, I cant be dealing with light interiors) in the required timeframe. Hence I have an XJ, and it runs on tractor fuel (which in itself, if "sense of occasion" is important, is just plain wrong). There is nothing particularly special about it, other than it meets the majority of my needs. Even if it can't set the clock itself, or have the interior mirror on the memory system.

I have never used a screwdriver "with a sense of occasion", and that's a tool just like the XJ. A tool that gets me from A to B with enough comfort that my (knackered) back doesn't spasm and leave me crippled for hours after.

So, yes, I own an XJ, and its for A to B transport. For me, Toyotas are unsuitable as A to B transport, along with most other FWD, non-descript shitboxes.
    Again I find myself halfway. It is a tool, but if it were only a tool I would have a Ford or a Volvo (or even, heaven forfend, a Skoda). I am, however, an absolute sucker for badge snobbery (or inverse badge snobbery), and I consider myself lucky too be able to drive a Jag (or two!), and I consider myself graced by the wood and leather instead of the plastic and pleather that are found in some others (and I can't, unlike some, overcome a lifetime's prejudice against the likes of BMW).

Not going to make me dash out and wash/ panel beat/ paint various bits red on it though!
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

18. Likes C16RKC, #steve, dbug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading this I nearly burst out laughing sat on my own, on the train. Luckily I restrained it to a suspicious grin....

Love your style there...! (Even though I have to confess my own cars are always more than tools to me...)
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2004 BMW 730d (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1991 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, 1993 BMW 520i, 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

20. Likes mac_doctor, #steve, TheBoy liked this post
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast