Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What things do you miss about your old cars

Post Thanks / Like

What things do you miss about your old cars

What do you miss about the old cars?
    When a youngster and doing mods on my early cars it was always a priority for me to fit a triple cluster on the dash consisting of Amp Meter, Oil Pressure Gauge and Water Temp Gauge. Now close to a half century later with cars costing mega bucks more, I still miss having all those little dials aligned, needles pointing up and on the correct reading before lift off.

Now when the mud is about to hit the fan, I get a light come on and a message "get down to the dealers and take your house deeds with you"
    I never had a sat nav, I did have one of those stick on ball compass but couldn't get to grips with that either. Still I seemed to find my way around ok with my well out of date AtoZ. Perhaps thats why I keep going back to another renovation project, just like the simplicity of it all
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

2. Likes C16RKC, frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I miss my old Anglia with the 1500 crossflow engine, the 2 litre Corsair gearbox, the matt black bonnet and the wide wheels.
    2007 XJ diesel Sovereign
    KTM 1290 SuperDuke R
    Ducati Supersport S

4. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I miss my old Anglia with the 1500 crossflow engine, the 2 litre Corsair gearbox, the matt black bonnet and the wide wheels.

Ha! ha! that was one of mine, 1500GT bored out to 1650cc twin webers, yellow 105e with a black stripe down the middle lowered 51/2" J wheels, with a straight through pipe. It was good for a tad over 120mph, I used to travel from Brum to Manchester to see a girl occasionally. Went via the M6 and looked for the Jags of that era, tailgate them and push them to the limit lol! happy days, it used to shake like an old washing machine
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

6. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my Cortina MkIs had an oil guage and I was glued to it.

I was about 20 then and in my first proper job as a Puter Systems engineer at the Midland Bank.

I can't remember the engine size, how bad is that?

I always meant to add a couple more guages to make the set of 3 but never got round to it.

That was the one I flared and added wheel spacers. Someone came along the street and made me an offer for it as it was, unfinished, just plastic padding smoothed but it looked god and drove very well.

When I got my first car with a rev counter after that I was glued to that for perfect gear changes.

But I can't remember which car that was either!

PS:

Ah, forgot, sorry...

My favourite which I miss was probably the Vauxhall Carlton 3.0 GSi. Amazing car, before the Lotus Carlton. 235km/hour from Calais via Ostend, Aachen, Koln on route to Frankfurt.

And in Germany there was always someone faster! Must have been Neil or ducmon.

It was a regular trip home and back. One time there was a big cloud of dust in a field beside the autobahn ahead of me. I slowed and it was an Opel Rekord still spinning. He'd taken his eyes off the road at similar speed and didn't see the bend or skidded, dunno.

I couldn't stand blood. Others were stopping so I chickened out and drove on at a tiny pace for the rest of that journey, instantly reminded that fun can kill too.

Good memories sometimes come with bad, like this one.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 18-10-18 at 19:53.

8. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I miss quite a few of my old cars, but then I am a bit like that.....

First one is my Golf MK I, simply because it was an absolute hoot - I threw that thing about the roads, and for the most part it stuck to the tarmac like **** to a blanket. Only once did that car break down on me, and to be fair that wasn't the cars fault - I had been running it for months with leaky core plugs and just slinging water in it all the time; I got stuck in traffic in Edinburgh and by the time I got onto Johnson Terrace (pretty much the back of the castle) it got hotter, and hotter, and hotter.......... needle off the gauge for ages, before it finally cut out right on the roundabout at the Royal Mile. I swung round the roundabout back into Johnson Terrace and into a wee parking bay, then sat there cursing myself for not getting it fixed months before. A shopkeeper had seen me having a smoke, and pacing up and down, and kindly came out with a kettle full of water once the engine had cooled a bit (well, quite a few kettles); that wee car burst back into life and took me home without issue. Needless to say, it was in the garage the following week to get new core plugs...

Second would be my Volvo 360GLT - mostly because it was a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing; it lumbered around town as though it was a big, heavy car, but put it on an A-road and give it the loud pedal....... it was off like a rocket once that turbo got spinning.

Third up, my Sierra Sapphire - in its day, it felt like it had everything; electric windows, electric sunroof, cracking stereo, comfy seats, 2-litre power with a five speed box...... yeah, I loved that car.

Fourth would have to be my Scorpio for its performance and the white paint. Because it was a white Scorpio, at a time when the police were using white Granadas and Scorpios, people had a tendency to just move over for me when I was on the motorway - a bit like the parting of the waves......

Fifth, my X-Type just because it was my first Jag
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leaving nostalgia to one side for a minute, the truth is that there is nothing that I miss about my old cars: My present car is quite simply far better in every way!
    There are cars that I miss though:-
    My first car, the Austin-Healey Sprite
    Saab 99 Turbo
    Audi Quattro (The second in the country, and the original Motorsport test Quattro)
    Land Rover Defender 90XS (last model before production ceased). I should really have kept that, both because it became a family member, and as an investment.
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

11. Likes frankc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverichardson View Post
    Leaving nostalgia to one side for a minute, the truth is that there is nothing that I miss about my old cars: My present car is quite simply far better in every way!
    There are cars that I miss though:-
    My first car, the Austin-Healey Sprite
    Saab 99 Turbo
    Audi Quattro (The second in the country, and the original Motorsport test Quattro)
    Land Rover Defender 90XS (last model before production ceased). I should really have kept that, both because it became a family member, and as an investment.
    We had the Audi GT silver with the rings along the side, Sweeney look a like. My wife loved it but got sold in 1989 when we moved to Oz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Long before all these kids got into Japanese Cars like the Supra I had a Mitsubishi GT3000 in 1995 and a tuned Supra Twin turbo in 1997.
    I still have fond memories of my first Car a Triumph Herald 12/50 Convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was 21, I had a 1993 Rover Coupe Turbo, I fitted a stereo with two amps (Swedish DLS amp running 1 ohm, and 1kw RMS power), 2 subs in a custom box to fit the slim boot, alpine components and rear speakers with 0 gauge cabling from the engine bay to boot and with an EQ, converted the front to double din and separate gel battery to run it with an upgraded 100amp alternator. Was a superb sound, which I do sometimes miss. I think it all cost more than the car in the end though lol.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

15. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I prefer older cars and look forward to when I get my Triumph 2000 back on the road (This year I anticipate) It will then be my everyday car and my X type will revert to my wife. Why, it's different, no electronic complications, it's quick which surprises moderns.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast