Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2014 XJR ownership thread

Post Thanks / Like

My 2014 XJR ownership thread

I'm picking up my new (used) car next weekend, the deposit is paid, part ex value agreed and there are a few things they need to do first, sunroof rattle fix and some stitching needs fixing at the rear edge of the sunroof area headlining.

It's a 2014 model in ultimate black with rear privacy glass, I might look to replace with clear glass later or slightly tint the fronts. On the test drive I was surprised to find it felt just like the outgoing XFR but faster. I do like the quieter engine sound but louder exhaust!

This wasn't a planned change, the stars just aligned this way and the XJR had just had a huge price drop while the XFR had more residual value than expected 😀

Pics when I get it. Opting to skip the body protection the dealer offered and instead get it done by a detailing guy I've used for the last decade. He's going to machine polish it and use a proper high quality ceramic product, apparently dealers don't tend to do the full prep which takes several hours alone, and coat cars in 90 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new ride, pics as soon as you can please

Good call on NOT getting the dealer to prep the car and opting for a detailer instead, look forward to seeing more

Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

3. Likes system11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent choice, more jealousy from me.
    Keep your eye on the water pump.
    2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 D

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a common fault with them, anything in particular in the way of symptoms?

Post Thanks / Like
    XFR, XJ X351, XJR X350, S-Type 2.7D Sport, XJR X308, X-Type 2.5 Sport, XJ X300 Sport

7. Dislikes dbug disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by system11 View Post
    Is there a common fault with them, anything in particular in the way of symptoms?
    On the US forum the early V8 engines seem to have quite a high failure rate and later engines have a redesigned pump.
    So hopefully 2014 cars should be ok.
    The only symptoms seem to be the red light of doom .
    2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 D

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are pictures the dealer took. Looks like I'm collecting it this coming Friday, and the detailing guy I use unexpectedly has that weekend free now - he says the whole job is going to take 9 hours or so.

I'll try to take some 'honest' before and after photos, dealer ones always seem to optimise light/shade to hide swirl mark areas and so on. I do have a couple of light scratches on the edge of the front driver arch, I don't think they'll polish out but they're not bad enough to warrant repainting, so those will get sealed in

The million dollar question though is: will the sunroof still rattle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jag1.jpg   jag2.jpg  

10. Likes #steve, Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by #steve View Post
    On the US forum the early V8 engines seem to have quite a high failure rate and later engines have a redesigned pump.
    So hopefully 2014 cars should be ok.
    The only symptoms seem to be the red light of doom .
    I'd imagine that's already been done on these ones, yes. My existing car until Friday is a 2009 XFR and the only engine related issue I had was a bearing of some kind in the supercharger which there was a TSB for. They don't break completely but start to sound like a marble has been dropped in the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi system and welcome to the XJ world. I thought I would answer your stereo question on this thread.You were asking about tweaks to get the Meridian system to sound like the B&W.
    Its hard to answer simply as you are coming from a 2009 XFR not the earlier XJ.If you had the 440 w B&W system the Meridian tri field is a different level above.If you optioned the premium system in the XFR (600 watts 14 speakers) that is the same as the premium xj. I am not sure but I do not believe the 1200w 20 speaker B& W was available outside the XJ.
    My comments were about the 600 w B&W vs the 825 Meridian tri field surround.
    I am sure the B&W 1200 wasn’t available till around 2011 so If you optioned up the xfr it would have the 600 w system . I am confused as to how many speakers it would have in the xfr.
    I am surprised you feel the B&W soundstage is better than the tri field.However I think the DTS model is one of the choices which is the same as B& W.I agree about Dolby unless we are talking the B&W 1200 w system.
    As to tweaks that depends on your music preferences. To get the sound more analog I flat except plus 1 or 2 on sub bass with tri field centre just rear . After a few days the clarity of the Meridian will win you over.
    I am sure you will enjoy the xjr and your travelling music.
    White XJL portfolio 3 litre s/c ecu to S MY2015

Post Thanks / Like
    What a lovely looking car, congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to seeing more and hearing about it once you pick it up.
    XJ X351 5.0 V8 Portfolio, Black 2011 17k
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=111207
    Range Rover Vogue, 4.2 V8 Supercharged, Grey '08 80k
    http://bit.ly/2kB60lW

Previously

XJ X358 2.7Tdvi Sovereign, Vapour Grey '08 70k
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=98612
    X Type Sport, 3.0 V6, Racing Green '03 plate 80k.
    http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f69/my-3-0-x-48345.html

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast