Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2014 XJR ownership thread

Post Thanks / Like

My 2014 XJR ownership thread

I'm picking up my new (used) car next weekend, the deposit is paid, part ex value agreed and there are a few things they need to do first, sunroof rattle fix and some stitching needs fixing at the rear edge of the sunroof area headlining.

It's a 2014 model in ultimate black with rear privacy glass, I might look to replace with clear glass later or slightly tint the fronts. On the test drive I was surprised to find it felt just like the outgoing XFR but faster. I do like the quieter engine sound but louder exhaust!

This wasn't a planned change, the stars just aligned this way and the XJR had just had a huge price drop while the XFR had more residual value than expected 😀

Pics when I get it. Opting to skip the body protection the dealer offered and instead get it done by a detailing guy I've used for the last decade. He's going to machine polish it and use a proper high quality ceramic product, apparently dealers don't tend to do the full prep which takes several hours alone, and coat cars in 90 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new ride, pics as soon as you can please

Good call on NOT getting the dealer to prep the car and opting for a detailer instead, look forward to seeing more

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

3. Likes system11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent choice, more jealousy from me.
    Keep your eye on the water pump.
    2010 Jaguar XJ V8 Portfolio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a common fault with them, anything in particular in the way of symptoms?

Post Thanks / Like
    XFR, XJ X351, XJR X350, S-Type 2.7D Sport, XJR X308, X-Type 2.5 Sport, XJ X300 Sport

7. Dislikes dbug disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by system11 View Post
    Is there a common fault with them, anything in particular in the way of symptoms?
    On the US forum the early V8 engines seem to have quite a high failure rate and later engines have a redesigned pump.
    So hopefully 2014 cars should be ok.
    The only symptoms seem to be the red light of doom .
    2010 Jaguar XJ V8 Portfolio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are pictures the dealer took. Looks like I'm collecting it this coming Friday, and the detailing guy I use unexpectedly has that weekend free now - he says the whole job is going to take 9 hours or so.

I'll try to take some 'honest' before and after photos, dealer ones always seem to optimise light/shade to hide swirl mark areas and so on. I do have a couple of light scratches on the edge of the front driver arch, I don't think they'll polish out but they're not bad enough to warrant repainting, so those will get sealed in

The million dollar question though is: will the sunroof still rattle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jag1.jpg   jag2.jpg  

10. Likes #steve, Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by #steve View Post
    On the US forum the early V8 engines seem to have quite a high failure rate and later engines have a redesigned pump.
    So hopefully 2014 cars should be ok.
    The only symptoms seem to be the red light of doom .
    I'd imagine that's already been done on these ones, yes. My existing car until Friday is a 2009 XFR and the only engine related issue I had was a bearing of some kind in the supercharger which there was a TSB for. They don't break completely but start to sound like a marble has been dropped in the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi system and welcome to the XJ world. I thought I would answer your stereo question on this thread.You were asking about tweaks to get the Meridian system to sound like the B&W.
    Its hard to answer simply as you are coming from a 2009 XFR not the earlier XJ.If you had the 440 w B&W system the Meridian tri field is a different level above.If you optioned the premium system in the XFR (600 watts 14 speakers) that is the same as the premium xj. I am not sure but I do not believe the 1200w 20 speaker B& W was available outside the XJ.
    My comments were about the 600 w B&W vs the 825 Meridian tri field surround.
    I am sure the B&W 1200 wasn’t available till around 2011 so If you optioned up the xfr it would have the 600 w system . I am confused as to how many speakers it would have in the xfr.
    I am surprised you feel the B&W soundstage is better than the tri field.However I think the DTS model is one of the choices which is the same as B& W.I agree about Dolby unless we are talking the B&W 1200 w system.
    As to tweaks that depends on your music preferences. To get the sound more analog I flat except plus 1 or 2 on sub bass with tri field centre just rear . After a few days the clarity of the Meridian will win you over.
    I am sure you will enjoy the xjr and your travelling music.
    White XJL portfolio 3 litre s/c ecu to S MY2015

Post Thanks / Like
    What a lovely looking car, congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to seeing more and hearing about it once you pick it up.
    XJ X351 5.0 V8 Portfolio, Black 2011 now on 20k
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/show-thread.php?t=111207
    Range Rover Vogue, 4.2 V8 Supercharged, Grey '08 now on 85k
    http://bit.ly/2kB60lW

Previously

XJ X358 2.7Tdvi Sovereign, Vapour Grey '08 70k
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=98612
    X Type Sport, 3.0 V6, Racing Green '03 plate 80k.
    http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f69/my-3-0-x-48345.html

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast