Thread: Chuck's Jaguar D Type Build

Post Thanks / Like

Chuck's Jaguar D Type Build

D Type Blog. The Question.

I have a question.

I just took delivery of an RCR Jaguar D Type kit. A detailed build blog will be forthcoming that will likely continue for a couple of years or longer, similar to the blog for the RCR GT40 started more than a decade ago at GT40s.com. https://www.gt40s.com/threads/chuck-...r-build.22083/

But where should that blog be?

The JaguarForum seems like a logical place, but appears to be focused more on those that drive production Jaguars rather than those that build reproductions. I don’t want to start a blog that will out of place.

Of course only a handful of D Types were built and one is not likely to see an original driving down the street. So if you want to experience driving or even sitting in a D Type it will likely be a reproduction.

So here is the question, for those that visit this forum and for those that administer it. Would it be appropriate to continue this blog on our construction of a D Type reproduction on the JaguarForum?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	766.7 KB 
ID:	28754

2. Likes Jodel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.

I for one, would enjoy very much seeing and reading your build progress on this forum and as it’s Jaguar related, I’m sure the moderator and admin would have no objections to it either.

Good luck with the project.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

4. Likes Super350 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, me too.
    I'd enjoy watching this develop.

Hope the build goes well.
    Simon.
    2003 Super V8 SWB

6. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appropriate? I would say it should be compulsory!

Welcome to the forum, and I will definitely be watching your progress with great interest. Best of luck!
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

8. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delivery

The Jag arrived on an unseasonably warm day in early October, 2018. The first project was to unpack the boxes and inspect everything.

We learned that several key components including the door hinges, aluminum front clip vents and header tank are not yet available. But the hardware needed to seriously begin construction is there, so let the project begin!

A detailed list of contents was prepared and compared to the RCR list. The slight discrepancies were brought to RCR’s attention. Preparing a list is good policy if for no other reason than it forces one to familiarize himself with everything that came with the kit.

Photos, photos, photos. Photos were taken of virtually every part. You never know when you will need to revisit the original appearance of something, particular assembled chassis components.

The fact the body is blue, fin white and fuel filler lid green is of no significance. It will all eventually be the same color.

Details are noteworthy. The tail lights are actual Lucas components. The headlight has a small signal light within the housing, which will be useful, since the original small signal light was mounted just below the headlight likely was of little practical effect. I suspect we will wire both the internal and the small external light if for no other reason than to enhance its visibility.

We requested our kit without the aluminum panels installed, so they were also laid out and examined. The panels are like a big puzzle. One has to study the notations written on them and figure out where they will go. The aluminum panels will finish off the cockpit, front clip and rear clip, adding significantly to the aesthetics of the final product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0216.jpg   DSC_0214.jpg   DSC_0198.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Deleted. Duplicate.
    Last edited by CESLAW; 08-11-18 at 00:55.