Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Video Sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Laptop Video Sound.

Hiya,
    Help/advice please from you tech minded Guys.

Yesterday my grandkids visited and as usual commandeered my laptop for an hour or so.
    They left me a video thank you for the usual treats of pocket money, ice cream and chocolate.
    Now, when I play back their video there is no sound. The volume is always set to high and never muted so I can't understand what I'm doing wrong.
    The only thing on my mind is that I thought the laptop would have an internal microphone and I don't have an exterior plug in one.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Supertrev.

Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have your heard sound on the video at all, or not? If the laptop has a camera, then it should almost certainly have a built in microphone, but quite often these are disabled in the audio settings (or the generic sound driver hasn't picked the microphone up).

It's not the easiest one to solve without seeing it, but I will do my best to help if I can - I do have the ability to remote in to your PC, which we could use to take a gander if it helps.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you certain there isn't a set of headphones attached?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
    Have your heard sound on the video at all, or not? If the laptop has a camera, then it should almost certainly have a built in microphone, but quite often these are disabled in the audio settings (or the generic sound driver hasn't picked the microphone up).

It's not the easiest one to solve without seeing it, but I will do my best to help if I can - I do have the ability to remote in to your PC, which we could use to take a gander if it helps.

Thanks Guys, Yes the laptop has a built in camera which they used. I will have to try and find the audio settings as you mentioned. Don't know where it is though to be honest, I'm just a basic type computer user.

Supertrev.

Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Microphone settings will be in control panel under sound settings
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

6. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning Guys,
    Mr F C, No sound ever from homemade videos by the kids.
    I have opened the control panel many times to try and sort this and the only part about the sound is the wWindows Mobility Centre which has no part to sort this, just the basic volume and mute settings to alter.

Supertrev.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a screen shot of control panel with sound ringed for you Trev

S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,
    I've now opened that but still only the small sound window opens with almost nothing to change.

Post Thanks / Like
    If i understand correctly, this video was taken via your laptop's built-in webcam, and you simply wish to play it back, on the same laptop?

First i would verify whether your speakers are working. Do they play sound from other videos, music files or websites like YouTube?

If you right-click the speaker icon in the bottom right of the Taskbar, you should have the option to open the Volume Mixer.
    Here, you can mute or change the volume of each application independently.

You might want to make sure your microphone was actually working at the time of the recording.
    Looking in the 'Sound' window of Control Panel, you can see a tab for 'Recording'. With this selected, you can see all the available devices you can record audio from.
    Right-click one of them and then click 'Properties'. In this new window, select the 'Listen' tab, where you can enable instant playback of the sound it picks up.
    This listen function is a good way of testing the microphone. (Just remember to switch it off afterwards as it can get rather annoying rather quickly)

I don't suppose you can send the video to someone else? Maybe over Facebook Messenger.

You may want to try playing the video through another program. I recommend VLC Media Player.
    X-Type 2.0d Classic 04MY
    Well... 🎵 It's got a CD player! (Player player player player)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Flaktoaster,
    Yes it is all the same laptop and the speakers work ok watching main website clips.
    Will try to open the sound window again.
    I have VLC Media installed so will try that too. thanks.

Supertrev.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast