Thread: British Parts, Stevenage, Herts.

Post Thanks / Like

British Parts, Stevenage, Herts.

Nearly 2 years ago I purchased a new gearbox sump/filter from BRITISH PARTS which was fitted when I had my gearbox oil changed with a Launch UK machine. Ever since then, I have always spotted a few drops of gearbox oil on my garage floor which, upon close inspection, appeared to come from the drain plug. I tried tightening it a tad and loosening it a tad on various occasions whenever I was under the car to stop the leak without success.

Last week I decided that there must be a crack in the plastic or no O ring present, the only proper cure was to change the sump and plug, which is not a job I could do at home as the car needed to be high up and level.

I popped up to British Parts and purchased a new sump, supplied to them by BritParts, and yesterday had ramp time at my local Jaguar Independent G and Ds in Welwyn Garden City. I delivered the STR Tuesday night so it would be cold for them oN Wednesday morning. I left the new sump, a bucket, oil pump, a few tools and rags in the boot. As the oil was only changed 2 years ago, most of it could go back in.

Wednesday morning, I arrived at 10.30 am to find the STR was next on my mechanics list to attend to. They are really good at G ad D as they let me make a start on the job, which I did mainly on my own before Mark was ready for me.

Anyway, I digress. Job finished. I was asked is I wanted to chuck the old sump in their skip but I decided not to as I thought I might try my luck and take it back to British Parts, which I did yesterday afternoon.

WITHOUT A QUIBBLE, THEY GAVE ME A FULL REFUND!!!!!!!

G and D only charged me 40 for the ramp time including about a litre of Lifeguard6 so I was dead chuffed how this irritating, unnecessary, job turned out in the end.

It looked to me, that the drain plug was not manufactured quite in shape so the O ring was not seating properly. Interestingly, the new drain plug had a different thread to the old one so perhaps the design has changed.

So there we are, a big pat on the back for BRITISH PARTS and G and D too.

Plus, it seemed to me that the gearbox was a little smoother in operation too after having 2 litres of new oil installed (I dumped the last of the oil from the filter)

My STR on the entrance ramp to Jaguar Classic works at Ryton.

Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

2. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Likes payno, Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear of a satisfactory outcome to a tricky problem.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

4. Thanks Stagnite thanked for this post