Thread: Fuel Tank Sender

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tank Sender

I have been having all types of problems since the the top of the tank electrical unit was replaced. The fuel gauge has been reading approximately a 1/4 tank less than what is in it ie! shows empty when there is still a 1/4 tank of fuel. I have just tried a new mechanic and he told me to buy a new sender which I did he installed it and I have exactly the same problem. I took it back to him and he checked it out and said it should be working fine and to fill my tank with fuel I now have petrol fumes coming into the cabin that strong it almost makes me sick. It seems as though both of these mechanics do not know the correct sequence that the sealing ring and sender unit along with the lock ring should be installed. Looking at the parts diagram it seems as though the sealing ring is placed in the tank then the sender unit with the lock ring tightened up to hold everything in place. I know in the past when the top of the tank was repaired the top seal was put in upside down and I had the same problem with petrol fumes the seal was turned over and everything was as good as gold again. I hope my problem is an easy fix as this has been going on for months now and I cannot find a mechanic in my area that knows anything about Jaguars.
    Last edited by ubetido; 12-11-18 at 05:00. Reason: Close thread problem solved

Post Thanks / Like
    Just read this post and wondered if it was ever resolved.
    You are completely correct re. the sequence of assembly.
    Now you need to empty the tank to less than half full and redo.

3. Thanks ubetido thanked for this post
    Likes ubetido liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks equiprx

Just fixed on Friday 9/11/18 Then my mechanic gave himself an uppercut and does not want to see my car ever again. He ha s ended up costing me another radiator whilst changing new fan belts on my car. A new fuel sender nothing wrong with the old one. All up over $600 wasted because he had no idea. Many thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last mechanic I let work on my 94 coupe cost me nearly $900.
    I had a fuel failure error, which returned before I even got it home.
    He also abandoned me after that and refused to refund anything.
    I couldn't afford any more diagnostics and I had to sell it.
    That mechanic was always bad mouthing everybody else.
    I wish I could get better at identifying peoples character.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about that sounds like your having same problems as me trying to find a mechanic who knows what they are doing.

Problem is solved thanks everyone for your thoughts
    ubetido
    Last edited by ubetido; 13-11-18 at 21:59. Reason: Thread Closed