Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xtype buying advice

Post Thanks / Like

xtype buying advice

Hi all, I'm hoping to purchase a 2008 diesel xtype in the next few weeks. As this is the jag place, can anyone advise me on what to look out (possible issues) for when buying one. Anything I've seen in my price bracket has approx 150,000 miles on it. My mechanic has told me to get the 2.2d if possible as it is a sweeter engine. I know the earlier versions had issues with rusty sills, but it shouldn't be an issue on the 2008, but what else should I look out for? Which gearbox should I get, etc.... Any advice would be really appreciated as I've wanted one of these for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there, welcome to the Forum.

If it were me I would steer well clear of anything with a DPF (diesel particulate filter) as they are unpredictable and often cause unreliability, perhaps more especially in cars with high mileage. I believe that they were factory fitted on all 2.2d autos and came as an optional extra on later 2.2d manuals. No DPF on any of the 2.0d models.

Plenty of threads on here about DPFs for you to read and decide for yourself though.

There must be some great value diesels out there but as with any make and model there are likely to be some old dogs too, it's just a matter of finding yourself a good one. I would be looking for a solid service and MOT history, sound bodywork, clean and tidy interior, all the usual things that indicate that the car has been well looked after.

And then much like buying any car in terms of analysing squeaks, bumps, clunks, rattles, smells and drive feel and, of course, fault code display.

Others with much greater mechanical knowledge than I will hopefully contribute here too because they are indeed great cars, providing of course you find a good one.

Good luck!
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum!

Thread moved to X-Type section.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd look for an SE-spec model with heated front seats - nice at this time of year The sat-nav system on these 'SE' cars is a bit long in the tooth, now, but works okay.

Ride quality on 17" rims is decent enough, and 225/45 R17 is a very popular tyre size.

As already mentioned, the DPF can be troublesome - and saps some engine power, too. The 2.0D is a tough old bird with a few common faults (split intercooler hose, rattling aux belt tensioner).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 280E View Post
    I'd look for an SE-spec model
    Go the whole hog and get a Sovereign.
    55 X-Type 3.0 Sovereign estate, automatic, midnight blue, barley leather

Previous cars going back through time:
    X-Type 2.2d SE estate, Alfa Romeo GT, Porsche 928, Lexus GS300, Mercedes E320, Mercedes E280, Rover 600, Vauxhall Senator, Opel Ascona, Fiat 127, Dutton Phaeton, Hillman Avenger

6. Likes Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my 2008 2.2D 6spd manual (non pdf I think) almost 4 yrs ago and best decision ever. The car had a full service history and 2 previous owners. Everything works as it should. Car has done 153k miles and still strong. Only had to replace battery and brake discs/pads. Always worth checking history re clutch replacement and injectors. Good luck in your search.

Post Thanks / Like
    DMF clutches last anything from 100k to 150k miles. 2.0d injectors last about the same. 2.2d injectors last well over 200k. Best bet is a 2.2d manual with as many toys as possible.
    2007/57 X-Type 2.2D Estate Sovereign that is an SE with extras.
    Shadow Grey, Piano Black, Nav, Sunroof, front parking sensors, remote folding mirrors
    LED headlights, LED fogs as drl. Decat, Steinbauer, 21mm wheel nuts, Android Double DIN incl DAB & reverse cam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
    Go the whole hog and get a Sovereign.
    Anything less than a Sovereign ain't a proper Jaguar...........
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

10. Likes YORKSHIREMAN1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbkennedy View Post
    Hi all, I'm hoping to purchase a 2008 diesel xtype in the next few weeks. As this is the jag place, can anyone advise me on what to look out (possible issues) for when buying one. Anything I've seen in my price bracket has approx 150,000 miles on it. My mechanic has told me to get the 2.2d if possible as it is a sweeter engine. I know the earlier versions had issues with rusty sills, but it shouldn't be an issue on the 2008, but what else should I look out for? Which gearbox should I get, etc.... Any advice would be really appreciated as I've wanted one of these for a long time.
    The 2.2's are lovely cars but don't discount the 2.0d. I test drove a few cars, both engine sizes, before purchasing my 2 litre diesel and have never regretted it. Robust, reliable and comfortable at bargain prices. I agree with all of the above; go for an SE or above if you can. Check the clutch is good (very expensive due to labour costs), avoid DPF models if possible, check sills but later cars are pretty good, but most importantly, make sure it has a good service history, with proper oil/filters etc. Great cars, great help here on this forum too. Let us know how you get on.
    Jaguar 2.0D SE 2008 Estate, 105K, Glacier Blue, Heated Leather, Cruise, Sat Nav and praise the lord good sills and no DPF

Life lessons I have learnt - We are where we are.......It is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Touch Screen + Premium Sound makes a world of difference.
    Jaguar X-Type 2.0D XS Platinum Silver, Full Factory Bodykit, Retrofit Navigation, CD Changer, iPod Aux-In Hack.
    My Retrofit Premium Sound here -> http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=68741
    https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?...it+Upgrade.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast