Thread: XK8 wannabe

Post Thanks / Like

XK8 wannabe

Hi all

Wayne here from Manchester on the look out for new year project. Well research really first.

I have always loved the Xk8/R, it will be a XK8 unless I am extremely lucky with my budget i have of max £2k. Doubt that very much.

Plan is to customise it a little, wide wheels and arches / lowered and a not to full on body kit, I may make my own yet.

Any way it will be a full on project of what ever needs doing, I will not or try not to get one with electrical problems as I have seen a few that can be had that need welding which I can do aswell as all mechanical work, just electrics I do not like doing, but if needs must.

I will popping in now and then to research so hoe you guys can advice well on what i am after.

First one being

Are there any parts that are difficult to get hold of nowadays for a late 90s XK8 ?

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the website and forum.
    Everyone here is friendly and helpful.
    I have owned my immaculate current 2004 XJ-V8 since December 2016 and it's a brilliant car.
    My previously owned Jaguars are a 1996 3.2ltr XJ6 Sovereign and 2 x 2001 S types.

Supertrev.
    Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

3. Thanks Wayne006 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Wayne, welcome to the forum.
    Hope you find one without electrical problems for that price.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

5. Thanks Wayne006 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rchiv View Post
    Hi Wayne, welcome to the forum.
    Hope you find one without electrical problems for that price.

Roger
    I have found a few that are in need of loads of welding and rest is fine, if only i was ready to get one i would of had one now, welding is fine for me. And aslong as i find one with less problems than the X Type i not long got rid off i will be happy, over £8K of repairs needed on that one.

What are the main electric problems on the XK8 ? As bad as the X Type ? or just as norm its pot luck as with any car in what turns up.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are not that many electrical problems on the normal X Type. No more really than any other car. So the XK should not have too much of a problem. Considering the way these cars are fully reliant on their electrics compared with years ago is something one takes on the chin, so to speak.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 116K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rchiv View Post
    There are not that many electrical problems on the normal X Type. No more really than any other car. So the XK should not have too much of a problem. Considering the way these cars are fully reliant on their electrics compared with years ago is something one takes on the chin, so to speak.

Roger

My X Type was a 2.2d and had many problems with previous owners messing with it from what i was told, needed turbo, inj pump as that failed so ful fuel system clean out and parts, engine loom was a mess and parts missing [lus more. Lucky it was on finance and they sent it back to the dealer.

I will do my best to research by a good OBD reader and see what i can find out there. I am sure there wil be one for me.

wayne