Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 5.0 XKR

Post Thanks / Like
    The white light looks so much better. I did same in my x type, looks good too but if the passenger uses the reading light, bit bright. Always something.

What are the round things? Cup holders? They're stressing me.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's illegal to use interior lights like those while moving in the dark anyway isn't it? For the most part, almost the only passenger I ever have is my 2.5 year old son, I take him to nursery two days per week so there's no big concern there.

Round things, you mean in the center console at the bottom of the shot? Yes they are cup holders. Is it because they're not the same size? They're normally obscured by the armrest when it's in the forward position, it can slide backwards and then raise up to allow access to a small storage bin behind those. I just pulled the armrest back to drop the old bulbs into while I was working away.
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    You're welcome. Spray on vinyl, well there's a thing. I took my wheels off just to clean them inside with a scrubbing brush and it was exhausting.

5.0L supercharged, I bet you can't wait to get up in the morning.
    It's one of these you need for keeping the inside of your wheels clean, basically a fancy toilet brush

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EZ-GO-Det...rk:87:razz:f:0

As for the spray on viynl Niall, is it Plastidip? I did my Caddy's wheels in it a while ago, it did the protection job great, but it doesnt look very nice. Since its a rubberised sort of coating you cant wipe it clean with any sort of mit/sponge as they all just stick to it...like trying to use a sponge to clean your tyres it just falls apart. Also it has a matte finish, which is fine on a clapped out honda civic's alloys with a 17 year old giving it yeeha down the beach boulevard....but I wouldnt put any of it on the jag wheels if I were you.

The plastidip is good for doing little bits though. Things like making your badges a different colour or bits of interior trim etc. The one thing you need to remember with it though - THE THICKER YOU PUT IT ON, THE EASIER IT PEELS OFF. If you just put a small amount on and try to peel it off it just all breaks away like an annoying sticker, tiny bits at a time. If you put on lots of coats, when it comes to peeling it off you can do it in one big sheet. I found this out the hard way with the caddy....the first wheel that i put in on thick came off as one big sheet...the next wheel that got the dregs of the tin was an absolute nightmare.
    4 Wheels: 2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 V8
    2 Wheels: 2016 60th Anniversary Yamaha R1 / 2014 Honda Grom

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that can read binary, and those that can't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Maz. I have something similar to that brush, it's fairly handy but still misses bits, doesn't really get round the back of the spokes and although mine looks smaller than that it has a hard time getting in between the caliper and the inner drum of the wheel so there's always a big patch missed. I loved the Cremona wheels I had on my old car as they were so easy to keep clean, just a shame they wouldn't fit the new car. They're still for sale, in case anyone's interested

Regards Plasti-dip, yes that's what I was talking about. I just meant as a way to see how it looks on the car, maybe even just do two wheels on one side so I can get a proper look at it. I have used it before, I did a set of front grilles on the old car in black and then added their gloss coat, didn't like the finish there either so I binned it. I used it recently to black out the silver parts visible behind the upper radiator grille, so they didn't show through brightly once the black grille was in place.

Thanks for the tip, if I did apply it then it'd just be to see how it looks with the black wheels before committing to having them done properly!

Post Thanks / Like
    I used that brush at my pals first and he told me what it cost, me being me, i said pfft im not paying that for whats basically a fancy toilet brush.....ended up going through a few slightly cheaper versions first before eventually just buying it having then probably spent double on inadequate brushes haha. Honestly it reaches every part and gets behind the spokes easily too.

As for your wheels yeah maybe worth giving it a bash then, and yeah works perfect for behind grills etc.

Seen a photoshop request thread on a few other forums...they always work a treat as well
    4 Wheels: 2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 V8
    2 Wheels: 2016 60th Anniversary Yamaha R1 / 2014 Honda Grom

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that can read binary, and those that can't.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not illegal to drive whilst using interior lights. It's a common misconception.

If the police see you and think its distracting to other drivers, they'll just ask you to turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    It's illegal to use interior lights like those while moving in the dark anyway isn't it? For the most part, almost the only passenger I ever have is my 2.5 year old son, I take him to nursery two days per week so there's no big concern there.

Round things, you mean in the center console at the bottom of the shot? Yes they are cup holders. Is it because they're not the same size? They're normally obscured by the armrest when it's in the forward position, it can slide backwards and then raise up to allow access to a small storage bin behind those. I just pulled the armrest back to drop the old bulbs into while I was working away.

7. Thanks 8bit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected, thanks for that.

9. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123