Thread: My 5.0 XKR

Post Thanks / Like

My 5.0 XKR

So after five mostly happy years driving around in my old 4.2 XKR (click for old thread) it was eventually time for a change. I spent a while considering other things - 911s, M3s, GranTurismos, Mustangs, C63 AMGs etc. etc. but couldn't think of anything else that ticked all the boxes and was available within budget. I did consider holding out for a nice 4.2 XKR-S or Portfolio but the pull of the larger engine was too strong (in more ways than one) so after a short search I found this at an independent dealer in Southport:

A couple of fellow forum members very kindly offered to go check the car out on my behalf (thanks again guys!) as I live about 6 hours from Southport and one of them went along for a look and a test drive. Following that and a couple of phone calls to the dealer, a trade in was agreed and deposit placed. Fast forward a couple of weeks and the new car was ready so I drove down and completed the exchange at the start of October and made the trip home.

First impressions all very positive; it feels newer, tighter, much better built, interior is more luxurious and the exterior is in much better condition. Handling is more direct, firmer yes but not at the expense of any refinement. It does not attempt to hide it's weight the same way the older car did, it just feels like it's managing it better, more sports-car like experience overall. And the performance, still getting used to just how much faster it is, much more so than the raw figures would suggest...

Few little things to sort out, the windscreen washers were not working to start with (although the headlamp ones did), some investigation identified a blockage around the pump inlet pipe and further block somewhere just before the passenger-side jets. The iPod connection is a bit flaky - keeps losing connection to the iPod and doesn't charge it. The wheels need aligning too as the steering wheel is a degree or two off-center when the car is travelling straight ahead.

Other than that, very happy so far... Updates here as-and-when.
    Last edited by 8bit; 08-11-18 at 16:35.
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

2. Likes Alec Escolme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I had done was getting decent tyres on the car. I had a pair of nearly-new Vredestein Ultrac Vortis on the summer wheels from the old car so I had them swapped on to the 5.0. It needed new tyres for the MOT before sale so I asked the dealer to put Ultrac Vortis on there, so I have a full set of decent rubber from the outset. The rears on the new car were Dunlop SP SportMaxx things, no idea why Jaguar fitted those as standard as they can't cope with the torque the car can produce even on a dry day.

After the tyres were fitted the wheels and tyres were covered in that white grease they use so I took them all off, gave them a good clean up and inspected the condition of the brake parts and whatnot in the arches then refitted the wheels with a fresh set of nuts and lockers...

4. Likes Alec Escolme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Took the new car out on Sunday morning past there and chucked my camera gear in the boot...

DSC_7730 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7732 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7741 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7745 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7756 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7757 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7755 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7761 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7783-Pano by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7792 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7771-Pano by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7797 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

DSC_7801 by Niall Porter Photography, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very nice. 👌🏼

7. Thanks 8bit thanked for this post
    Likes Shmee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic, nice to see a 5.0 in a light colour for once!
    2007 XKR Convertible , Zircon Blue, Ivory leather.

9. Thanks 8bit thanked for this post
    Likes 8bit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, looking very tasty there Niall

Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

11. Thanks 8bit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning pictures of a stunning car Niall.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

13. Thanks 8bit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great pics, especially the last one
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

15. Thanks 8bit thanked for this post