Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EsRay;1138909]
    Quote Originally Posted by 2woody View Post

Hello 2Woody, Thanks for posting. No, I am saying that I have 5v between the FRP Connector's Ground and Supply pins AND 5v between Ground and Signal pins; I go on to say that the Connectors Ground to Signal voltage should be no more than 3v (as it says in the Pinpoint Tests attached to my very first post, above). Like you, I have no idea why even 3v should be present at the Signal pin, but that is what it says?
    I have also drawn attention to the fact that the FRP Sensors Ground is shared by the MAP and the Throttle Position Sensors' Grounds and then they all appear to be connected to pin 19 at the ECU? I have also tried to speculate a short from Supply to Ground yielding the 5v at both Supply and Signal, but if this was the case, surely I would have continuity between Ground and Signal and I do not?
    I admitted in my post No. 5 above that I do not know how to test this Ground, because I do not know where it is; pin 19 at the ECU? (there is no continuity between ECU pin 19 and the FRP Connector's Ground? The Engine Block?
    2Woody, as you have gathered, I am working outside of my knowledge base!
    You said "BUT I also have 5v at the Signal and Ground wires", but I'm guessing "at the signal and ground wires" really means "between the signal and ground wires", so Now I see.

UK and USA - one people separated only by a common language

2. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hello 2Woody, my apologies, you guessed right!

4. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE:

I plugged in my recently arrived FoMoCo FRP Sensor, turned the ignition and off she went, purring nicely!! I can only conclude that the Workshop Manual Pinpoint Test was wrong!

Well, actually it was not quite as easy as that; I also had to put my Cabin Filter and its box back in, my wipers, reconnect all my sensors etc, etc.
    I suppose the plus side is that I now have pristine renewed split plastic tubing and heat resistant tape on my entire engine harness...….

Anyway, I want to thank Fat Controller and 2Woody, not only for their knowledge and generosity, but also for their patience and persistence!!!!

6. Thanks fat controller thanked for this post
    Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE:

I plugged in my recently arrived FoMoCo FRP Sensor, turned the ignition and off she went, purring nicely!!

Well, actually it was not quite as easy as that; I also had to put my Cabin Filter and its box back in, my wipers, reconnect all my sensors etc, etc.
    I suppose the plus side is that I now have pristine renewed split plastic tubing and heat resistant tape on my entire engine harness...….

Anyway, I want to thank Fat Controller and 2Woody not only for their knowledge and generosity, but also for their patience and persistence!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, everything looks much better, except I now have PO171 - Lean Bank one. The only vacuums I can think of for bank one are PCV Valve and (perhaps?) EGR?
    PCV Valve is new and so is its vacuum pipe. EGR? - Didn't replace the EGR metal gasket when removing Inlet Manifold? Pretty unlikely isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, firstly I am glad that you have made significant progress - and although very kind of you to credit me with thanks, I really didn't do anything but chat things over with you - you did all the hard work, so well done to you sir!

Now, your current fault code - lean could suggest that air is getting in somewhere, so logic would say that should be your first port of call. It is unlikely that the EGR gasket is the culprit, particularly as it is metal - BUT, if it has been disturbed for the first time in 10+ years, it could very well be? Trouble is, a pin-hole in a gasket is all it takes, so you could chase your tail a bit. It is a bit rough and ready, but you could use the old trick of spraying some brake cleaner around the inlet manifold with the engine running, and listen for a change in engine note?
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

10. Thanks EsRay thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found it!
    The rubber vacuum pipe from the FRP Sensor to the Throttle Body had broken off at the TB end - Nice big Vac leak!

12. Likes fat controller liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12