Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: This is how the Met deals with crime

Post Thanks / Like
    The guy writing that piece is entitled to his opinion, the same as you, and anyone else sharing that view. At least you guys, unlike the Government are honest about your reasons.

I fundamentally disagree though. The reason why we haven't had a nuclear war, and won't have one. Is due to the huge arsenals that the two main protagonists have. It also puts ours into perspective. It isn't needed.

If the world ever somehow gets to the point where Nuclear weapons are fired at each other. We're all going to be f u c k e d anyway - so there's no point in firing back for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    As you won't accept the Government's stance "They would say that. Wouldn't they" what about this report in the Guardian which ends "The use of a nuclear weapon is now more likely than any time since the worst days of the cold war, but the probability of humanity being wiped out entirely by nuclear war is, for the time being, diminished"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...kely-explained

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
    Aye, resources have been cut that far that they don't really bother with things like theft anymore - even many shops are not bothering to report shoplifting, as the police do nothing (or don't turn up) - and any Tory trotting out the age old 'it was Labour that dunnit' excuse just doesn't wash with me any more. I cannot wait until we get a chance to vote the buggers out
    Absolutley spot on, I had urchins climbing my back garden fence they were so thick they put their face up to one of my CCTV cameras and covered it with a wet leaf, called the police who came out 2 hours later and said as they didn't enter your property boundary and no damage reported then no crime committed not even trespass!
    Jaguar XFS 3.0 380bhp Supercharged 2015/16 with all the toys
    Previous Jags
    XE 2.0 Portfolio 2015/16 in Celestial Black and fully loaded
    XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio 2014/15
    XF Premium Luxury 3.0 2013
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 2008
    S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 2005
    X Type 2.5 V6 AWD Estate 2004
    S Type 3.0 SE V6 petrol 1999

also have Yamaha FJR1300

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeballroy View Post
    Absolutley spot on, I had urchins climbing my back garden fence they were so thick they put their face up to one of my CCTV cameras and covered it with a wet leaf, called the police who came out 2 hours later and said as they didn't enter your property boundary and no damage reported then no crime committed not even trespass!
    Unfortunately though, trespass is not a crime.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post
    Unfortunately though, trespass is not a crime.
    It is in my books !!!!
    Jaguar XFS 3.0 380bhp Supercharged 2015/16 with all the toys
    Previous Jags
    XE 2.0 Portfolio 2015/16 in Celestial Black and fully loaded
    XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio 2014/15
    XF Premium Luxury 3.0 2013
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 2008
    S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 2005
    X Type 2.5 V6 AWD Estate 2004
    S Type 3.0 SE V6 petrol 1999

also have Yamaha FJR1300

Post Thanks / Like
    Next time, just tell them that you are pretty sure you saw one of them carrying a knife - that should at least get the little barstewards searched
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

6. Likes Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    The guy writing that piece is entitled to his opinion, the same as you, and anyone else sharing that view. At least you guys, unlike the Government are honest about your reasons.

I fundamentally disagree though. The reason why we haven't had a nuclear war, and won't have one. Is due to the huge arsenals that the two main protagonists have. It also puts ours into perspective. It isn't needed.

If the world ever somehow gets to the point where Nuclear weapons are fired at each other. We're all going to be XXXXXX anyway - so there's no point in firing back for the sake of it.
    I know we all get passionate about our views, but there is no need for that language Thomas.

Remember some members (like me) are very innocent... and might be corrupted to crime by that sort of language!... and clearly the police are already struggling, so it would only make things worse.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2004 BMW 730d (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1991 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, 1993 BMW 520i, 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

8. Likes Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post
    I know we all get passionate about our views, but there is no need for that language Thomas.

Remember some members (like me) are very innocent... and might be corrupted to crime by that sort of language!... and clearly the police are already struggling, so it would only make things worse.
    Nah, they all know where you live and can send "the boys" round, Chris!

So... behave!

10. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was reminded of this thread, and those poor little police darlings that are so understaffed Wednesday morning on my way into work.

A lorry had toppled to it's side on a large roundabout on the A11. No-one seemed to be hurt, and no ambulances. The lorry was out of the way, so traffic was carrying on around the roundabout.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/traffic...ford-1-5788101

What a lovely shot of the nice budget cars they turn up in. Ford Mondeo estates start at £22,000... but that's far too cheap. Much better for the police to get themselves a £38,000 BMW, that's a much better use of tax payers money.

But what interested me, was that this seemed to require the attendance of 4 police cars; one at each junction of the roundabout, with two policeman standing with their hands by their sides at each. One of them (he must have been the important one) was talking into a walkie talkie. It seemed the only purpose of the cars was to warn the public that there was an accident (by the use of the flashing lights). The policeman standing with their hands on their hips seemed to be doing very little.

But that's ok, that abundance of policeman enabled them to catch 13 people taking pictures of the crash:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46301319

I know its not right, but if they were so understaffed, would they really be worrying about that???!!!!!!!!!!!..... When there are supposed rape, murder and burglary cases that cannot be progressed because of budget cuts.

Why could it not be one police car, 3 tri-pods of light towers (or perhaps none? are they really necessary?) and 2 policeman?... or one?

When the police force stop wasting so much time & money, I might start believing the nonsense in the papers about austerity and budget cuts being the cause of crime.

You cannot blame the bobbies themselves; they are just doing what they are told. But the way the police force is run is shameful.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2004 BMW 730d (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1991 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, 1993 BMW 520i, 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post

If the world ever somehow gets to the point where Nuclear weapons are fired at each other. We're all going to be f u c k e d anyway - so there's no point in firing back for the sake of it.
    Many years ago the MOD held a paper exercise where they gathered the forces top brass and simulated the comms that would be coming in if the east decided to attack. It was in real time with an element of luck being used to provide as much realism as possible. The scenario was that the east used an 'incident' to launch a retaliatory strike and kept on coming. (Shades of what's happening in the Ukraine!)

Basically they ran it for 3 days with the result that submarines prevented resupply from America by sea, the numerical superiority of the eastern forces overran the defenders in Germany and the west planners were left with the option of using battlefield nuclear weapons or surrendering europe . Strategic nuclear use was ruled out as we would have nothing left to defend.

So the reckoning was that without a strategic nuclear defence then the east may chance their arm.
    XF MY15.5 3.0d S Portfolio Stratus Grey with Ivory interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never read "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy?

I know it's a novel, but it was close enough. And NATO is a shadow of what it was when that was written.

Sheer numbers of "targets" and logistical requirements meant that it would always have been a close run thing.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345